cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Okay To Leave Batteries Connected While Stored?

falconman515
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 6V batteries on my TT and they are in the box all connected with a strap around them and what not ... would be a pain to have to disconnect them when I take the TT to storage until the next camping trip (I of course will be taking out the batteries completely and storing them in the garage during winter and the trailer is not in use ... this is just a question about storing it from one camping trip this month to the next trip maybe a few weeks or month later).

Nothing of course is really on I would assume other then the built in LP detector and that's basically it when everything is turned off.

SO ... my question is .....

Is it better to disconnect the batteries when being stored outside for a few weeks at a time or should I disconnect them while in storage (and also depending on your answer why?)

Thanks so much for the info guys! 🙂

-Chris
1996 24' Fleetwood Prowler
Towed By ...
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4X4 Crew Cab
20 REPLIES 20

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
Every RV trailer I've ever seen has had a batter disconnect switch.
It's usually not placed directly at the battery, but I've got to think that you have one somewhere...
'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension
35" Toyo's | 4.56 | PacBrake

2009 Cyclone 3950 | B&W Turnover Ball & Companion | TrailAire | Duravis R250s

westend
Explorer
Explorer
falconman515 wrote:
Thanks so much for all the great replies.

I will be disconnecting them when in storage now.

I will also be looking into this quick disconnect since my batteries are strapped down and under a front lid cover so it's a pain to connect and reconnect.

I have worried about my batteries being just right there in storage but they said they have never had a stolen battery reported ... where I have it stored is really the absolute Best part of town and very secure so most people with a slip or storage locker in there hopefully are not thief's.

On a side note a had a thread about 6V batteries x2 and mine I got form Sams are AMAZING ... they lasted a full 4 days and 3 nights and were only down to 12.23V remaining .... thats' with the Heater on 65 every night, fridge running, lights being used on and off throughout the night, water pump used to run through over 3/4 of the water in the holding tank ... I was worried I would need solar or a gen. but really I never camp longer then 4 days 3 nights so I'm good to go with these bad boys.

Thanks again for all the great info guys ... I'll be swinging by the storage this weekend to disconnect them.
Good to hear from another happy Sam's Club 6v owner!
Maybe it would be worth your while to look at a different locking box for the batteries. I guess it's easy to spend your money but I would dislike lugging two 6v's back and forth.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

gates59
Explorer
Explorer
I have left mine for a couple of weeks and checked the voltage and was still at 12.8 volts. That tells me not much of a drain. I used to disconect all the time until i tested it. I guess it all depends on what inverter you have. Mine is a progressive dynamics.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
100 watts of solar would work well in storage and while camped :B

falconman515
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for all the great replies.

I will be disconnecting them when in storage now.

I will also be looking into this quick disconnect since my batteries are strapped down and under a front lid cover so it's a pain to connect and reconnect.

I have worried about my batteries being just right there in storage but they said they have never had a stolen battery reported ... where I have it stored is really the absolute Best part of town and very secure so most people with a slip or storage locker in there hopefully are not thief's.

On a side note a had a thread about 6V batteries x2 and mine I got form Sams are AMAZING ... they lasted a full 4 days and 3 nights and were only down to 12.23V remaining .... thats' with the Heater on 65 every night, fridge running, lights being used on and off throughout the night, water pump used to run through over 3/4 of the water in the holding tank ... I was worried I would need solar or a gen. but really I never camp longer then 4 days 3 nights so I'm good to go with these bad boys.

Thanks again for all the great info guys ... I'll be swinging by the storage this weekend to disconnect them.
1996 24' Fleetwood Prowler
Towed By ...
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71 4X4 Crew Cab

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your TT is going to be at a storage facility, I'd be worried about theft. My battery was stolen while at storage - and was not cheap to replace. Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The 6v batteries are more forgiving about being run down to "dead" but if it happens enough, the batteries will sulfate and, eventually, be useless. The parasitic loads, as mentioned, will have your batteries discharged in a matter of days.

One of the better ways to maintain the TT's batteries when in storage, is to use a small solar module to keep them charged. Pair the module with a battery disconnect switch and when you pick up the TT from storage, turn the switch and you'll be off with charged batteries.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Disconnect them or add a disconnect switch to do it with.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a typical "dumb" inverter/charger, I'd use a disconnect switch, then put a maintainer/tender on the batteries to keep them in tip-top shape. If you leave it plugged-in, it will cook your batteries...ask me how I know :S

If you have a "smart" inverter/charger, then I'd just leave it plugged in and not disconnect the batteries. It will maintain your batteries just as an external maintainer/charger would.

I've used Water Miser caps for two years.
While I check my water levels regularly, I've have never had to add water, the caps don't let the water evaporate to the atmosphere - they capture and re-introduce the water to the cell.
'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension
35" Toyo's | 4.56 | PacBrake

2009 Cyclone 3950 | B&W Turnover Ball & Companion | TrailAire | Duravis R250s

qmrichardson
Explorer
Explorer
I agree on the disconnect. I tried leaving it in before, and it'd be dead after just a few short days... I like bringing it home and putting it on the trickle every month or so for a few minutes to ensure it's good.
Will
2014 Keystone Outback Terrain 299TBH
2008 Dodge Ram 2500, 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I disconnect to avoid the battery drain from the CO2 detector and radio in addition to "someone" forgetting to turn a light off when they leave the trailer.

REDF350
Explorer
Explorer
Disconnect the battery. Too many small parasitic loads on my unit.
2003 Coachmen Catalina 300 TBS
2006 Ford F350, 6.8L, V10, 4.10
Husky 1000 WD
Camco friction sway control
Prodigy BC
Wife, Four Children (22G, 19G, 17B, 11G)
One Labrador

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of 12 volt parasitic loads. Some you can find and shut off, like the booster on a bat wing antenna. But other 12 volt loads, like the electronics for a refrigerator, and carbon monoxide detector, maybe electronics for heating and cooling, and even an inverter is you have one, really require a battery disconnect switch.

I only have one battery. I can come in off the road with the battery fully charged from 3 days driving on the interstate. Then, if I forget to flip the disconnect when I put it in storage, my battery won't have enough juice to open a slide out in just one day, maybe two.

I would look hard and long for a place to conveniently locate a disconnect switch.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer has a battery disconnect switch by the sink. If it didn't, I would disconnect the batteries during storage. If storage was 4 plus months, I would pull the batteries and charge them at home once a month. Good luck.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL