cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old A/C shaking

rjkfsm
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an older TT that had been abandoned in a field for a few years. After chasing out the mice and fixing a few things, I decided to test the A/C. It was too cold outside to tell if it was really cooling at all. I mostly wanted to see if the compressor was seized up or anything. However, when it came on, it shook pretty good. Not rattling the windows or anything like that, but I could feel a fairly strong vibration come from it.

The question is, is this normal for an A/C that has been sitting? Should I just let it run for a while and see if it smooths out?

RK
7 REPLIES 7

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rjkfsm wrote:
I have discovered it is not the compressor, but the blower fan that pushes the air through the vents. The thermostat was wired wrong. A little Internet research put it straight.

I will definitely check that out. I am scared to go on the roof, though. It doesn't leak and I don't want to push my luck. 😕

RK

The fan blower motor has two fans
One is a squirrel cage that blows the air into the RV. You can access it by removing the ceiling grill. See if it is loaded up with dust/debris.
The other fan is a blade type that blows air across the condenser coil.
It can be accessed by removing the roof shroud.

If either/both have heavy dirt accumulation/broken-missing vanes-blades you will have to remove the motor with fans which has to be done from the roof. Neither fan can be removed without removing common motor.

Being an older abandoned TT that A/C roof gasket probably needs replacing also.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Maybe there's something even bigger living in it!

Pop-Pop_C
Explorer
Explorer
jwbond52 wrote:
I had one that had a Muddobbers nest built on one of the fan blades.

X2 had the same problem !!

rjkfsm
Explorer
Explorer
I have discovered it is not the compressor, but the blower fan that pushes the air through the vents. The thermostat was wired wrong. A little Internet research put it straight.

I will definitely check that out. I am scared to go on the roof, though. It doesn't leak and I don't want to push my luck. 😕

RK

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Mud dauber nest on fan blades, very common problem. Remove cover and check all the blades. 🙂
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

jwbond52
Explorer
Explorer
I had one that had a Muddobbers nest built on one of the fan blades.

LynnandCarol
Explorer
Explorer
I would check the mounting bolts. Remove the cover and take a look, as that amount of vibration is NOT normal.