cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oliver Factory Tour: Pls Help Interpret My Findings?

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
Any specific suggestions? I don't want to find myself saying, down the pike, "I wish I would have looked more closely at that".

I've updated this thread with 50+ pictures & 10 videos but I'm still not so sure how to interpret what I'm seeing?
DH: Designated Curmudgeon
Lupรฉ the Rescue Dog: Self-appointed Tattletale
DW: Copilot & Companion
No offense intended. Sarcasm is my strong suit.
69 REPLIES 69

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great write up...thank-you! I'm also interested in a "high end" RV and Oliver is one we are considering when the time comes. They are built in my home state which would be a plus for service or up grades.

They do carry a hefty price tag compared to Escape RV's, which is another one I'm interested in. I actually like the floor plan in the 21' escape better than the Legacy II.

Fiberglass seems to have some benefits over conventional built trailers. Not saying theyre better but it stands to reason that the leak factor is reduced.

But one company that has peaked my interest is Outdoor RV. I've spoken to them several times on the phone and they've answered all my questions. Now I just have to get out west to look at them and see if theyre as nice as I believe they are.

DeanCHS1980
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzy,

GREAT! Looking forward to Ollie: The Sequels! Laura and I love to watch your videos.

Take care,

Dean

OliverBuzzy
Explorer
Explorer
I am glad you enjoyed the videos. Having a travel trailer manufacturer with a sales model which is centralized at the factory, can present a challenge for some perspective owners who live too far away for a visit. I like to think we provide a service to them.

In many ways, my first nine videos simply touched the surface on a superbly designed travel trailer. In 2017 I plan to create 9 more videos in the series. Some will dig deeper into functionally which is unique to Oliver. Stay tuned!

Buzzy

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzy, I LOVED your videos. They made me realize I missed some important points on my tour. Live & learn, eh? What can I say? I'm a work in progress?

Because you took the time to reply, my next tour will be more successful. Thank you. I really appreciate that.

/CC

OliverBuzzy
Explorer
Explorer
CopilotCampion,

Excellent report, pictures and videos. You captured the essence of an Ollie. At one point in your report you mention the need for additional information concerning access to the components located between the lower inner and outer shells such as plumbing, electrical, etc.

You might find the video in the link below entitled "Living with Ollie, Episode 3 - The Interior Hatches" to be helpful. The interior hatches are part of the Ollie design to facilitate a variety of actions such as draining the fresh water tank, winterizing, etc.

https://youtu.be/3IHyHWYHduc

We also have several porthole hatches built into the upper interior shell to facilitate access to the electrical switches. Those hatches are captured in the video entitled "Living with Ollie, Episode 5 - Interior Storage.

https://youtu.be/G8NM6BeM0kE

I hope you find this helpful.

OliverBuzzy

DeanCHS1980
Explorer
Explorer
CopilotCampion,

Great thread! Laura and I are new empty nesters and just finished our first season camping in our new to us Casita. We attended the Oliver Rally in September and toured the factory. We only live 2.5 hours from the Oliver plant. They are amazing trailers. Laura and I hope to own one when we retire in 8.5 years. Hoping the stock market does well with my supplemental retirement account! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Take care,

Dean

P.S. - I thought I was OCD with my RV research. You have me beat. Very impressive!!!

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
The Oliver looks to be likely the highest build quality travel trailer out there. Built like a tank to last for many decades.
It's nice to see they are fitting high quality tires to them also.

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
Copilot,

Wanted to echo other's comments of gratitude for your excellent reporting of the Oliver tour. I have been looking at the Oliver product for some time and your report was quite timely and informative.

I pull a trailer from Vancouver BC to Denver Col a few times a year (4 year old grand-daughter....oh and her parents too...... live down there and I try to get down there as often as I can). Long stretches of open highway (80mph speed limits) and would like to pull a wee bit faster than the 60 mph I do now. Although truck (2012 6.2L Sierra) can pull adequately, I would think the narrower Oliver would cut through the air resistance better (perhaps some current Oliver owners would be able to comment). Also interested in the R rating as it seems the Colorado Plateau sees winter temps about 9 months of the year!! Still uncomfortable with a wet bath, though.

In response to one of the last posts, I have actually toured the Escape factory (no pictures or video though) and it seems to be quite similar to the Oliver (although a bit smaller). Taken around by one of the owners, a real personal experience like you were meeting her family, good quality workmanship, but the biggest memory that sticks in my mind was the "thin as egg shell" walls, presumably for weight reduction. As a result, the trailer just didn't seem to be as sturdy as I would like. And Oliver is head and shoulders above in respect to the quality of the components they use, onside and outside. Having said that, Escape is still a great product and certainly fits a niche market.

Marv

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
Spud, I would love nothing better but my DH has Alzheimer's & overnight absences, on my part, are few & far between at this juncture. I would love it if someone from BC would post pics/videos from tours of the Bigfoot & Escape factories. Know any members in that area?

While I'd be interested in Bigfoot/Escape factory tours, the report I desire the most would be from Oregon -- the Northwood & Outdoors RV factories. I'm fascinated by the prospect of tanks that are not only heated... they're suspended from above so the heat can circulate underneath the tanks. What other manufacturers do this? Do you know?

Can you think of any RV.net members from Oregon (or willing to travel there) that would be willing to "take one for the RV.net team" & post pics/videos from these tours?

Thanks,

/CC

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
Copilot,

How about heading up to Canada next and giving us a review of the Escape factory ?!!?? ๐Ÿ™‚
Kathy

CopilotCompanio
Explorer
Explorer
I'm glad you enjoyed the pics/videos. I'm unable to draw any conclusions because this is the only factory I've ever toured? So, I appreciate your help interpreting my pics/videos.

Now, I'm kind-of anxious to see another factory so that I can make a comparison. Stay tuned!

/CC

cruising_spud
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so very much for gathering all of this information.

This was certainly time consuming.

Thanks again.
Kathy

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
CopilotCompanion, awesome write up! Thank you! I tend to agree with your observations about the shower. Looks like a very stout trailer.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Very very impressive!

That price tag will make you step back.... but seriously if you want to use a trailer for 20+ years it's well worth it.

What I love is that Olivers are designed by people who actually use them. The molds remain the same, but they continually tweak the technical features.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board