Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

on board generator

nike_holley
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all...

how crazy is it to think about installing a generator somewhere in our '07 Arctic Fox trailer..??..

Nate
Sharin' life with my Great Wife..!!..
20 REPLIES 20

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
FYI
We decided that having a pair of Honda EU-2000s was a better call. In the standard AF generator bay we can fit one "factory" generator, or two Honda 2000's -and- our BBQ, waste hose stand and three packages of Lynx levelers.

For trips when we need power, like the long boon-dock weekends in the summer we have the Honda's

When we are taking a trip where we have power, we can leave the Honda's at home and have more room

Then we also have the Honda's for those winter time power outages we always have.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Geno92308
Explorer
Explorer
I know of people with onans in their toy haulers who have bought off board generators to minimize hours and vibration.

I don't subscribe to that philosophy.

krobbe
Explorer
Explorer
Think about the noise aspect being installed inside the trailer and the exhaust fumes if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction and the windows are open. I usually cable lock my Honda2000 to a tree a short distance away, pointed away from us and other campers so as not to be easily heard. And stored/hidden when not being used. I had a Class C with an onboard Onan. It was really useful for having power when traveling down the road but the noise and fumes were pretty bad while parked. I did use it a couple times at night to run the A/C while boondocking. But my Honda could do that in a pinch if I turn off all other loads.
Me'62, DW'67, DS'04, DD'07
'03 Chevy Suburban 2500LT 4WD Vortec8.1L 4L85-E 3.73 CurtClassV
'09 BulletPremier295BHS 33'4" 7200#Loaded 1100#Tongue Equal-i-zerHitch Tires:Kumho857
Pics

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Seem like some AF models offered Gen sets. Anyway, I really enjoy the on-board Gen on our current trailer.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Crazy!
Unless you do a vast number of days boondocking it will bea waste of money. Now, if you do actually boondock a lot, then a small generator will come in handy. But carried in your truck bed would be wiser, easier, cheaper at the end of the day.