cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

On the fence for a new TC hauler? ... new Ram looks awesome!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’m not in the market as newly retired with a good truck, but if I was considering a new one, the 2019 Ram looks awesome. I was hoping they’d extend some of the improvements of the 1500 up and they did.

Oh, and now the stock torque leader at over 1000! No, manual transmissions any more.

This is a pretty comprehensive video on the changes. https://youtu.be/9x418FgnJOA

You can see the front change here.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member
30 REPLIES 30

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
Laramie longhorn for me!!
Bring it on!!
What's my trade worth, 2015 L/L loaded w/42000 original one owner miles.

I can dream, can't I!!!

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Unless you go with a Class 4 or larger chassis cab, you will most likely be overloaded per the tags. Even the F450/4500 16.5K lb GVWR would be at maximum once you load 6500 lbs of camper...

That’s been my assumption for several years now. As long as the mfgr’s insist on artificially constraining the F450/4500 pickups to the class three rating, then a heavy TC is going to exceed the load rating. I think they’re doing that intentionally to keep the F450/4500 pickups from “stealing sales” from the C&C trucks.

Dennis12 wrote:
Either one. They are both the worst investment you can make.

Har! I don’t invest in trucks. None of them tend to appreciate. 🙂

Maybe you were being sarcastic, as was I. I pretty much ignore the phony GVWR on my truck, and I believe I would on the new Ram as well. I would have no reservations about loading either truck up to the weight limit of the rear tires or axle, whichever you hit first. IMHO, a class 4 or 5 cab and chassis just isn’t needed to haul a truck camper. Towing heavy while hauling a heavy TC is a different story, but I don’t do that.

I hauled my TC on three trucks and this one is by far the best. It’s nowhere near the limit of its true capabilities doing what I’m doing with it.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

Bedlam
NRALIFR wrote:
Max GVWR is 14K, so my biggest question is: will I be able load my truck camper and gear (that at times weighs as much as 6500 lbs) on that truck with the Diesel engine and not “overload” the poor thing? If not, I may as well keep my F450. *sarc* :W

Unless you go with a Class 4 or larger chassis cab, you will most likely be overloaded per the tags. Even the F450/4500 16.5K lb GVWR would be at maximum once you load 6500 lbs of camper...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
Either one. They are both the worst investment you can make.
Dennis Hoppert

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
PickupTrucks.com Review

Well they finally did it. 1000 ft/lbs of torque in an OEM truck. That’s an impressive vehicle overall.

I think the cost difference between brands is going to be a lot smaller going forward.

I also think they’re going to put a serious dent in the world supply of chrome with the new front design :B

I agree with the author, good riddance to the “nostrils” look.

Still not crazy about the dually bed styling. Having the fenders blended into the entire length is unattractive to my eye, and unwanted functionally.

Integrating computer controlled shutters into the grill is a nice feature.

I’ll be interested to read how that automatic emergency braking works.

Max GVWR is 14K, so my biggest question is: will I be able load my truck camper and gear (that at times weighs as much as 6500 lbs) on that truck with the Diesel engine and not “overload” the poor thing? If not, I may as well keep my F450. *sarc* :W

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 ‘Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam types………..Let’s Go Brandon!!!

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
I read somewhere it was 8HP75 from ZF...

I found where that is the one available in the 1500 but the biggest engine in the 1500 is the 5.7 which is only rated at 400 lb-ft. While the 8HP75 is rated for 750 N-M (553 lb-ft) when the 6.4 engine is only rated at 429 lb-ft, was hoping to see them go with the 8HP95 which is rated for 900 N-M (663 lb-ft) for a little extra margin.

Torque ratings for the transmission comes from Wikipedia
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Bedlam
kohldad wrote:
And for those of us who are satisfied with the 6.4 Hemi, they upgraded to an 8 speed transmission moving direct drive to 6th. Which version of the ZF 8HP is yet to be seen, but I've read about it to know I like what I see so far.

On the diesel front, wish they would quit going for the torque king and start worrying about mpg. I would much rather have a 600 ft-lb of torque with 20-40% better fuel economy than the 1000 ft-lb.

I read somewhere it was 8HP75 from ZF...

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The new Dodges are pretty sweet, not unlike the other 2brands. Always thought they didn't need to upgrade the 4th gen chassis, even though it appears that there are a few chassis/drivetrain upgrades.
But keeping the old 4th gen body and no 8 speed is BS and not keeping up with the Joneses though.
Glad the ole 07 runs gud still. And it's making 1000ft lbs so.....kinda like a 2019 Ram!

Saw 1 video mention heavier rear axle and bigger brakes, not sure if just the dually, but def a plus for hauling campers!
Have to lol a little at 35k towing, kinda like 30k towing. Little ridiculous for light duty trucks, yet awesome at the same time that they can actually tow that much with relatively little fanfare.

Makes the "1/2 ton is unsafe towing 10klbs" discussions seem silly though!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
woodhog wrote:
Here is a 4500 series, if you like the GM power train, duramax and Allison, 4x4, engine air compression, real air ride.

Have to go flatbed camper..

GM 4500 ? or ?

Good grief. It's bad enough that GM can't make a decent looking med duty truck, but re branded as an International?
Be embarrassed to work for IH and have a Duramax Isuzu corn binder!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a 4500 series, if you like the GM power train, duramax and Allison, 4x4, engine air compression, real air ride.

Have to go flatbed camper..

GM 4500 ? or ?
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am days away from picking a new Ford Super Duty. Then the Ram trucks drop and I think, maybe go that route. I know what will happen is I will wait and the new Ford and Chevy 2020 info will hit and there will be too many choices. I like what I see from Dodge. Just waiting for the 2019 build site to come on line.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
That is a nice HD truck. I like the Freightliner grill and everything about this truck. Now I can’t wait until they bring the HD truck production back to the USA.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The Power Wagon is far cry to the one pictured in "Simon & Simon".
Too much of locomotive look for me, but some might like it.
Call me biased, but almost 10 years since Ford did it, Dodge finally managed to make 400 HP diesel?
They also discovered that aluminium is valid material for engine build. How inventive.
Dodge was the leader of air suspension for some time, but doesn't look like they want to continue the idea.
Lot of blabbing about Mega Cab recliners, but not a word if it is available with long bed?
Most of TC buyers want Mega Cab with long bed, if it doesn't exist, that ends the story for me.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
And for those of us who are satisfied with the 6.4 Hemi, they upgraded to an 8 speed transmission moving direct drive to 6th. Which version of the ZF 8HP is yet to be seen, but I've read about it to know I like what I see so far.

On the diesel front, wish they would quit going for the torque king and start worrying about mpg. I would much rather have a 600 ft-lb of torque with 20-40% better fuel economy than the 1000 ft-lb.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
They eliminated the lightbar slot!
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed