cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

one axle vs. two axles on short TT (20')

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering what the pros/cons were of one axle vs. two axles on a short/lite TT. I'm talking about something less than 22' and 3500 LB dry.

I guess I should also ask about wheel size too.
54 REPLIES 54

johnnyrv
Explorer
Explorer
two axles = more tolls. had both and prefer one axle. both tow ok

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
One thing with a single axle trailer you don't have tire scrubbing when turning sharp. On small TT with dual axle most of the time they had 13 inch tires where a single axle had 15 inch tires, on the ones I looked at.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had both a single axle (current) pop-up camper and a 32 ft dual axle TT. They both tow smoothly. Backing is not an issue with either one.

I heard that dual axle trailers ride smoother...can't say that they do as both of my trailers ride smooth. The maintenance is less than 1/2 the price on the single axle (less tires and they are smaller).

I've had a single axle utility trailer for years, never had a problem with bounce or sway on any of them.

IMHO...it's a non issue...buy the trailer you like and if it has two axles..so be it...if it has one..so be it.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Sunbird
Explorer
Explorer
I had two 19' tandem axle trailers followed by two 17' single axle trailers. My experience is that with tandem axles you have twice as many tires to blow out.

17' and smaller are usually single axle. Bigger than that single axles are very rare. The manufacturers add the second axle to carry the additional weight. How big a trailer you want is a personal decision.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I found less than 1k payload on my single axle to be limiting. We also had a bearing failure in the desert and realized right there how stranded you can be with a single axle. Of course, some travel with a spare hub... come to think of it, I may travel with one even on my 2 axle trailer.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Like the majority has indicated, dual axle trailers float, single axle trailers tend to bounce more.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
I would think the only reason the manufacturer would select one or two axles is because of its intended use.

I wouldn't count on it. Take a look at the specs for the current 2015 version of my own Freedom Express 192RBS - CCC a generous 2182 lbs ... friends of ours are about to take delivery of an almost identical trailer, a Starcraft Launch 21FBS - CCC a mere 1190 lbs even though both are double axle trailers. :E

The devil is in the details. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think the only reason the manufacturer would select one or two axles is because of its intended use.

Two axles would usually indicate they expect more stuff to be hauled. The manufacturers are rarely accused of over designing a TT.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
samhain7 wrote:
Do you mind me Pm'ing you for more info. I'm just east of the smoke.

By all means! :B

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with Soundguy....our HTT 23SS, which was box only 20'+ had 2 axels, as does the 21SS. The 19 model, which was likely box about 16 or so had one axel only. One advantage of 1 axel over 2, for sure, is 2 less tires to buy when it's time.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a long-time single axle person, I would go with dual axles if they are available on the model you like. The cons are extra cost (so what?) and a loss of some storage space (because of the extra wheel well). The biggest pro is safety -- a blowout on a single axle can be very serious, while on a dual axle trailer it is not a big deal.

I would also think that when towing in mud or sand, a trailer with four wheels would "float" on top and would not dig in, the way a two-wheeler would.

But they don't make a dual axle in the model we wanted, so here we are with one axle. Life is a series of compromises.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
Do you mind me Pm'ing you for more info. I'm just east of the smoke.
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
As one who owns a 19' dual axle trailer I can tell you there are all sorts of sub 23' models from many manufacturers with dual axles, my own Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS

samhain7 wrote:
Not to hijack this thread, but Soundguy....I just spent the better part of an hour going over your trailer album. That is the most tricked out trailer I have ever seen!!!!!

Ha Ha! Thanks ... but these are just ideas that have worked for me, tried and tested over the years with a variety of campers from popups to a hybrid and travel trailers. Believe me, there have been quite a few I tried that didn't work out so well! The intent has never been "trick out" any camper for the sake of it ('though my wife would probably disagree :W ), just make things a bit easier when we're camping. We're just west of The Big Smoke.

SkiMore
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the information. I kinda figured 2 axles was better. I guess it must add some weight and cost. I think I will try to go that route.

Samhain7: Thanks for mentioning SoundGuys album. Lots of good stuff there.

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

As one who owns a 19' dual axle trailer I can tell you there are all sorts of sub 23' models from many manufacturers with dual axles, my own Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS

Not to hijack this thread, but Soundguy....I just spent the better part of an hour going over your trailer album. That is the most tricked out trailer I have ever seen!!!!!
Where exactly in Ontario are you and how much do you charge for consulting!!! ๐Ÿ˜‰
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS