cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our new trailer is junk.....

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
I am really starting to regret buying our 2016 Cruiser MPG 2400BH. This trailer has been a POS from day one. I really love the look and the options but at what point do I quit finding issues... To start things off the electrical system was riddled with bad connections which I ended up fixing myself. We are talking issues that would have caused the unit to potentially catch fire if left unnoticed. I have no idea how it even got through inspection. Next was the spring perches.... I wouldn't have even noticed this issue if I hadn't been under the trailer running wiring for my inverter. All of the spring perches were welded onto the frame on an angle. The drivers side all leaning toward the outside and the passenger side all leaning inward putting all sorts of sideways strain on the suspension. Next issue was the front cap which started to pull away from the trailer leaving the siding exposed to the elements after only two weeks of use. I won't even get into the stupid fit and finish issues which I see on all new units..
Fast forward to now.... The trailer has been in the shop since the beginning of Sept, and it is still not fixed. Just got off the phone with the service dept and they say they have done quite a few repairs but have run into an issue. They believe the trailer has deeper issues which have caused the trim to pull away and also cause the front cap to shift. So now they are at a stand still and tell me the trailer needs to be returned to the manufacturer in Indiana, however they still haven't got any approval from the factory.
I am told that the quickest turnaround I could expect once the trailer is sent in would be minimum 2 months but realistically it would be longer with the upcoming holiday season.
I have asked that the trailer be replaced with a new one but we will see where that goes...

Anyone else dealt with similar issues? I would love to hear what you have done to resolve them.

Thanks
60 REPLIES 60

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from our annual hunting trip and spent the past few days working with the dealership on exchanging our trailer for a new unit... So far all seems to be going well. Set aside any unforeseen issues, we have come to an agreement and will be exchanging our old trailer for a Forrest River Surveyor 245BHS. We are scheduled to pick up the new trailer on the 14th of this month. Keeping my fingers crossed that the new unit is for the most part problem free, at least structurally.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
k9luvr wrote:
Your only real remedy will be through the mFg.
I agree with this. You want the manufacturer to make the determination to replace it. Should only take them days to decide. The dealer will want to wash their hands of the whole thing because it's nothing but a loss of time and money. They may *seem* like they are being helpful, but...

The big question a person has to ask themselves is - do you want or will you get another identical TT with the same issues? Then what would you do? Do they perhaps have a more upscale model line that they'd be willing to swap for?
tragusa3 wrote:
If a manufacturer would step up to the plate and take units back and issue new ones, it seems it would go a long way in building a reputation as a solid manufacturer.
The problem with that tho. is that on the rare occasion that a manufacturer actually does replace an entire RV, they don't want anyone to know and they make you sign a confidentiality agreement. That's why you don't hear about it on the internet. I'd say more but I just can't... ๐Ÿ˜‰

Up until the point you get a replacement, a manufacturer won't want bad publicity posted all over the internet and it's in their interests to get you a replacement as quickly as possible. If the dealer says you're going to get a new one, get it in writing otherwise you'll be stressed out beyond words until you see it in person.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
mikakuja wrote:
We finally got a call from the dealerships manager today, and it looks like we might be getting somewhere. He seemed to be quite eager to resolve this issue and replace the trailer at no cost to us.

Not to be scepticle ... but I am. :W The dealer didn't sell your trailer to you on consignment from the factory, he purchased it from the factory, covered all the upfront costs of transporting it to his dealership and preparing it for sale, and you purchased it from the dealer, with the title being transferred to your name, also at a cost. No dealer that runs a business effectively can afford to simply take back any trailer they've sold and offer you another new one in it's place ... there has to be more to this story. :R

And that would be the dealer's problem, not the OP's. I can believe that a good dealer would take back a trailer to salvage a reputation.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not scepticle of the OP's situation - heck, I'm not even skeptical... I'm not sure what king of conspiracy theory someone is trying to brew here, but it doesn't hold water.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
I don't expect that the dealership has any plan to loose money, that being said I shouldn't be expected to take a hit on it either. I certainly don't expect to get more than what I paid for. What I do expect is that the frame and body on a new trailer last longer than 2 weeks before failing, which is why I am looking for a replacement not a repair. The conversation I had with the manager led me to believe that they are looking for compensation from the manufacturer to cover the difference on the replacement trailer. I really don't know what more you might think there could be to this story.
At this point I will give them the time requested to follow through on their commitment to us. Should that fail I will take other avenues to resolve this.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
mikakuja wrote:
We finally got a call from the dealerships manager today, and it looks like we might be getting somewhere. He seemed to be quite eager to resolve this issue and replace the trailer at no cost to us.

Not to be scepticle ... but I am. :W The dealer didn't sell your trailer to you on consignment from the factory, he purchased it from the factory, covered all the upfront costs of transporting it to his dealership and preparing it for sale, and you purchased it from the dealer, with the title being transferred to your name, also at a cost. No dealer that runs a business effectively can afford to simply take back any trailer they've sold and offer you another new one in it's place ... there has to be more to this story. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the club !

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

k9luvr
Explorer
Explorer
Hate to sound pessimistic but most dealers are not in the business of taking large losses. The dealership manager is more than likely just buying some time. Your only real remedy will be through the mFg.
Keep the dealership mgrs feet to the fire. Stay on his back. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. This will probably drag out for months
I've been there and done this before.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
If a manufacturer would step up to the plate and take units back and issue new ones, it seems it would go a long way in building a reputation as a solid manufacturer. If they fixed it on their time and money, they could then sell the unit as used and probably not lose any more money than they do spending months dealing with a customer.

It also sounds like "the right thing to do". Just my thoughts.

Hope you have satisfaction soon.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Camper_G
Explorer
Explorer
I hope this is for real and they make it right for you. Keep us posted!
2017 Dodge Ram 2500 HD, 4x4, CCSB, 6.4L HEMI, Snow Chief, tow package.,1989 Skyline Layton model 75-2251.

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Happy to hear mikakuja, good luck!
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.

mikakuja
Explorer
Explorer
We finally got a call from the dealerships manager today, and it looks like we might be getting somewhere. He seemed to be quite eager to resolve this issue and replace the trailer at no cost to us. Hmmm, I think I heard this once before....lol. Anyway, I will give him the benefit of a doubt and see what happens. Apparently he says he needs a couple days to resolve the issues with the manufacturer and will give me a call once everything is done.
Hopefully this time it all works out, and we finally end up with a trailer in our driveway that we are able to use without fear of it falling apart.

Shavano
Explorer
Explorer

'15 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
'18 Forest River Avenger :C "Dolci"
Kipor KGE3500Ti

CHECK OUT THE RV.NET BLOGS!!

12th_Man_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 DRV that was in the shop eight of the first 13 months I owned it.

If you financed the RV you might get some help from your lender.

Getting a lawyer probably won't help. You probably signed the same type of contract I did that states you can't sue them you must go to arbutration instead.

At my age I have probably bought my last RV but I feel bad for the folks that buy this junk and just bang their head against the wall trying to get things fixed. maybe getting the lenders involved will help. If they get enough complaints maybe they will quit financing them.(probably not)

These folks have had so much practice dodging the responsibility of the issues it is almost impossible to pin them down on anything and all the while you are dealing with them your rig is out of service.

Good luck. Try to stay after them until they have made it right. Will be a frustrating journey.

Doug
2014 GMC Duramax 4X4 DRW Crew

2015 DRV Tradition

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Wow, sorry to read this. Those pics tell it all. I'm no RV expert, but can say I got an almost 15 year old camper that presents better than that and 10-20 year old cargo trailers that have 10-20x the miles on them than yours that pull straight.
You've done your diligence trying to get resolution nicely and you're getting the runaround. Lawyers mean $ but you'll be out less $ to get the right lawyer to send the right demand to the dealer and mfg.
I wouldn't settle for less than full refund including tax etc to date. And shoot for damages, loss of use, legal fees, time spent etc. Then they can negotiate down to just giving you your money back and hopefully legal fees.
Bad situation for sure. seems you're dealing with shoddy/dangerous workmanship and then either major structural defect or a damaged unit that was sold as new. Hate lawyers but one will have a field day here!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold