Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outdoor kitchen door that swings out not up

mroseto
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I am starting to look for a new TT that has an outdoor kitchen. Between my wife and myself, we are always inside either cleaning or cooking. Problem I have is I would hit my head on the door if it swung up, I would like to have it swing back toward the rear of the trailer. I would also need a set up bunks in it. Do they make such a thing?

Any help would be appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I have never seen one that opens that way, they all seem to open up and as others have said it helps with the rain.

A couple things to help from hitting your head:

Buy a trailer with 3 steps and not 2 so it is higher off the ground.

Park all 4 wheels on a couple blocks or lynx leveler. This will raise the trailer and the door to help. You might need a step of some sort for your door.

Hang some duct tape or something from the corners of the kitchen door once open so you notice it better.

Cut pool noodles to fit on the edges to lessen the blow.

Good luck.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

michigansandzil
Explorer
Explorer
Our Shadow Cruiser has an outside kitchen with a door that swings up, but it hooks up as well. There is no cabinet door hanging out in front of you. I've never seen one that swung out to the side. The best you'll get is to have it propped up to the side of the camper above your head but out of the way like ours.

It's a bunkhouse with four bunks and an outdoor kitchen. Can't say enough good things about it!
2017 Coachmen Catalina 323 BHDSCK
2018 Ford F150 FX4
3 growing kids and 1 big dog

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
We LOVE our outdoor kitchen but yes there are a couple things:

1) I'm 6'4" and I can understand your concern on hitting your head.. Happens all the time depending on the level of the site. If the SITE is door side high or back side high then the door is closer to the ground. Trailer needs to be level so either of these instances puts the door at about 6'. Yup, it hurts ๐Ÿ™‚

2) While laying beside the outdoor kitchen with hand on head (see item #1) I have often pondered moving the hinges to the front edge of the door instead of the top but haven't done so for two reasons.
a) door would be in the way for everyone then.
b) not sure if the trailer is re-inforced to hold the weight of the door/hinges if you were to mount them on the side of the opening.

If you are not concerned with either 2-a) or 2-b) then you could buy whatever outdoor kitchen you want and just move the hinges to the right(front) side instead of top..

I wouldn't personally do it but that's about the only way you will get'er done.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. ๐Ÿ™‚

spadoctor
Explorer
Explorer
it will not swing to the back because wind getting into the latch side while towing would rip it off.

losingit
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Radiance R31-DSBH with an outdoor kitchen, there is no way you'd hit your head on the door to the outdoor kitchen on our camper, unless you're close to 7 feet tall. It also has a bunk house and a fold out couch in the bunk room. We love the outdoor kitchen, makes cooking and cleaning outside so much easier.
2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Radiance 31DSBH

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
And block a nice sideways view, make it a pain to walk around it etc. Too many reasons why you won't see this on a full outside kitchen design.

We_Cant_Wait
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think you'll find a side swinging door for 2 reasons, 1) with it swinging up it acts as a roof in case of rain, 2) with it swinging sideways wind would be an issue either pushing it shut OR ripping it off depending on the wind direction.