cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outside Maintenance

johnrm134
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking to get some advice on travel trailer owners that store there RV's outside year round. I just took my 4-year old Jayco 26' Travel Trailer (bought brand new in 2010) in for some routine service and during an overall inspection the dealer suggested a roof and outside inspection.
They came up with $911.50 for caulking gutters, seams, edges, etc. and another $350. for a roof cleaning and sealing. I've cleaned the roof at least once if not twice a year, all four years I've owned it and have sealed the roof in 2012, and will do again this year.
I haven't authorized the work yet, but do think this is ridiculous! My Dad had RV's when I was growing up and I don't think he ever caulked or sealed the roofs. Aren't these vehicles meant to be outside for there lifetime??

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
14 REPLIES 14

Montana_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Running a dealership costs money. If you can do it right do it your self. But remember your investment a 1000 dollars is worth keeping in top shape. I run a boat dealership on the service side and get so upset about people thinking that we can stay in business not charging for what they don't want to do them selves. You run a dealership and see what you have to charge. But if you can take care of the concern do it.
Time to get camping! 2013 28'Shadow Cruiser
One wife, 4 boys, 2 dogs and a cat.
Montana Mike

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
I take our camper to the dealer each year to get the roof inspected. If it needs caulking they do it. Cost $35.

johnrm134
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the feed back! I'm a handy person I'll have to add one more item to my yearly "to do" list.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
They are in the business of selling ...... porduct OR services. Like everyone here says, just inspect things a few times a year and keep things clean and things will last a long time. Take care of water issues promptly as water will rot out wood quite quickly. If you are not able to get onto your roof occasionally then ask a good neighbor of yours of even another RVer if they would help you out. Most folks are willing to be helpfull I think. If you are able to do the climbing then read up on maintaining your unit and don't be affraid to tackle a job yourself. the internet is your friend. Its really not difficult.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
OP - where are you / the trailer located? "USA" is a pretty wide area. Location has a lot to do with weathering of the RV when sitting exposed. I am in Texas; that makes a difference as opposed to if I was in a more benign part of the US.

Secondly - did you check to see if what they are claiming needs to be done actually needs to be done? Maybe it does, and if that is the case then the cost is the only issue.

You need to get back to the thread with more info.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
It's easy to do yourself. Just check all the windows etc that have caulking to see if it's still good to go, if not, touch it up or replace it. Same with the roof ,but don't fall off.:B

Front windows like on some pickup campers are terrible for breaking the seal, I re-did mine every year as well as the front windows on my trailers and fifth wheels.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, they are after your money. It sounds like your roof maintenance and checking has been on target.

We always check the seals on our rv's 3 - 4 times per year and often with a magnifying glass just to make sure water is not seeping in anywhere. That said, the skylight leaked...just a small one and we noticed one drip just recently while using it. We got on it pronto.

So I don't think they need to do the work, you can...just carefully check everything and you are good to go.

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not let them do it. It sounds like you take good care of your exterior and I would check it this year and if what they said needs doing, you could probably do yourself. We had our TT on a permanent site in northern Wisconsin for 6 years and aside from it needing a good cleaning every spring (after some years of having a lot of leaves; snow and ice accumulation during the winter) and that was about it. DH would check everything while he was up on roof and as far as I know there were no problems.Since it is 2 years older now, he will probably redo some of the caulking this year. But we have had no leaks or anything (knock on wood.) Now we summer in Colorado but we did put it in enclosed storage this year, just because we fell into a good deal on it. Trying to stretch a few more years out of it as I love the floor plan which Keystone does not make anymore, and ours still looks brand new.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
It all comes down to labor. What would your company charge another company to borrow you for a day?

I still do a lot of maintenance items around the house and TT but nearing the completion my 70th orbit of the sun, I farm a few more things out than I used to. :W
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

thib2722
Explorer
Explorer
For that price, I'd pay a handy man to caulk first. If you are not able to do the work yourself, there are likely handy men in your area looking for these light jobs.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
johnrm134 wrote:
..............and during an overall inspection the dealer suggested a roof and outside inspection..........

Interesting. In my entire life, never have had one of these.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
How hard is it to wash and wax the outside of your RV. Same for cleaning the roof/ Add about 10 bucks a tube for caulk and total materials cost will run about 50 dollars IF you use the best wax possible and maybe two or three tubes of Dicor self leveling. The rest of flat labor.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
As the laziness or lack of skills keeps growing, the fees and prices for services will only go up.

I have people that pay me to replace light bulbs.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

flat_twin
Explorer
Explorer
Sure sounds like a scam. Can you do the inspection yourself or take it to someone you trust? Unless something happened that damaged your roof, I doubt there's much to do for a four year old travel trailer. Even if a caulk bead is cracked, all that should be required is clean the area with mineral spirits, let dry and apply new sealant.