cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overloaded? Nah, it's a truck. It can handle it, right?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Saw a guy the other day at Lowes with a Cadillac Avalanche or whatever Caddy's version of it is and he had them load a full pallet of something into the bed of the truck and it rose a few feet above cab of truck. Left w/o strapping it down (at least I didn't see him do it), tailgate down but best part was, his receiver was NO MORE than 8" off the ground. I mean this thing was WAAAAAAAAAY overloaded. My guess is, it was at least a ton of product. Glad I went the opposite direction.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
21 REPLIES 21

Hammerhead
Explorer
Explorer
A calling a lawn tractor a "vehicle designed or adapted exclusively for agricultural, horticultural or livestock operations, or for lifting and carrying an implement of husbandry" is kind of a stretch.

tim and amy wrote:

Actually, it is NOT illegal in MN or most states, the cop was wrong on the DL but the guy has to have an orange triangle on this mower. In almost all states, Implements of Husbandry or Farm Equipment is exempt from a Drivers License requirement. Here is MN law.

A driver's license is not required for operating an implement of husbandry. License plates and vehicle registration are not required for implements of husbandry, although if the implement is being towed by a truck, the truck must have a license plate. A farm trailer with a gross weight of 10,000 pounds or more pulled by a car, pickup or truck must have a registration plate.

All implements of husbandry designed for operation at speeds of 25 miles per hour or less must be marked with a slow-moving vehicle emblem. The emblem is a fluorescent yellow-orange triangle with a dark red reflective border which conforms to standards set by the American Society of Agricultural Engineers (Standard S276). The emblem must be visible 600 feet from the rear of the implement

http://www.extension.umn.edu/food/small-farms/safety/implements-of-husbandry-safety/

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
I wondered the same thing. Maybe it had to do with the DUI ? Prohibited from operating any motor vehicle on the road ? Either way I am glad they made him stop. They guy is a total idiot.

tim and amy wrote:
Thunderbolt wrote:
loulou57 wrote:
jmcgsd wrote:
RoyB wrote:
I spot my 4200LB POPUP trailer here in my CAMP BACKYARD all the time with my SEARS LT1000 riding lawn mower. Works just fine...

I got the idea from this google search photo...

Roy Ken

This is a bit off topic, but it reminds me of watching ths film a few years ago:
man rides tractor to visit estranged brother

Riding a lawn more on the road in Mn without a driver license is illegal in Minnesota. My neighbor had a DUI and was going everywhere on a lawn tractor (including the liquor store ! ) until he was pulled over and informed it was against the law.

A man down the road never had a drivers license. He still gets around to shops, Dr's. Etc. In his new John Deere Tractor 6R series

Actually, it is NOT illegal in MN or most states, the cop was wrong on the DL but the guy has to have an orange triangle on this mower. In almost all states, Implements of Husbandry or Farm Equipment is exempt from a Drivers License requirement. Here is MN law.

A driver's license is not required for operating an implement of husbandry. License plates and vehicle registration are not required for implements of husbandry, although if the implement is being towed by a truck, the truck must have a license plate. A farm trailer with a gross weight of 10,000 pounds or more pulled by a car, pickup or truck must have a registration plate.

All implements of husbandry designed for operation at speeds of 25 miles per hour or less must be marked with a slow-moving vehicle emblem. The emblem is a fluorescent yellow-orange triangle with a dark red reflective border which conforms to standards set by the American Society of Agricultural Engineers (Standard S276). The emblem must be visible 600 feet from the rear of the implement

http://www.extension.umn.edu/food/small-farms/safety/implements-of-husbandry-safety/
Bryan
2003 2500HD Ext. cab short box
6.0 liter 4.10 gears, Nelson performance PCM 293,000 miles
98 K1500 4x4 heavy duty 1/2 ton (Sold)
6,600lb GVWR 5,280lbs on the scale empty
14 bolt rear diff. 3:73 , Tranny and oil coolers
380,000 miles.

tim_and_amy
Explorer
Explorer
Thunderbolt wrote:
loulou57 wrote:
jmcgsd wrote:
RoyB wrote:
I spot my 4200LB POPUP trailer here in my CAMP BACKYARD all the time with my SEARS LT1000 riding lawn mower. Works just fine...

Roy Ken

This is a bit off topic, but it reminds me of watching ths film a few years ago:

Riding a lawn more on the road in Mn without a driver license is illegal in Minnesota. My neighbor had a DUI and was going everywhere on a lawn tractor (including the liquor store ! ) until he was pulled over and informed it was against the law.

A man down the road never had a drivers license. He still gets around to shops, Dr's. Etc. In his new John Deere Tractor 6R series

2012 Kodiak 300BHSL Ultimate with Fall Edition Package
2003 Ford Excursion V10 Sold!!
2005 Ford Excursion 6.0L Diesel

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
Was at Home Depot last week. When leaving I got behind a ford ranger with a bunch of pressure treated decking and lumber sticking way past the open tailgate and the tail of the truck sagging badly. I stayed way back as I could see the whole load ending up on the road when the light turned green. Sure enough the strap he had over the top did nothing, and the whole lot was in the intersection. Few drivers including myself help him stack the lumber on the side of the road. He called a buddy with a trailer to help him out.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Thunderbolt wrote:
I actually say the same thing a couple years ago.

timmac wrote:
I saw a ATV riding on top a car, the back tires were on the trunk and the front tires were up just above the back glass, straps going from ATV into the back side widows of the car, tried to get a pic but he was moving to fast and heading for the highway, not sure if he ever made it where he was going, damn dangerous..

I've only seen the pictures on the Internet and always wondered if they were legit.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
I actually say the same thing a couple years ago.

timmac wrote:
I saw a ATV riding on top a car, the back tires were on the trunk and the front tires were up just above the back glass, straps going from ATV into the back side widows of the car, tried to get a pic but he was moving to fast and heading for the highway, not sure if he ever made it where he was going, damn dangerous..
Bryan
380,000 miles.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
ls1mike wrote:
You must have missed this thread last year. Saw this at the Costco in Silverdale Wa

Thread was pretty good too...

Complete Prius thread

That's funny!!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
You must have missed this thread last year. Saw this at the Costco in Silverdale Wa

Thread was pretty good too...

Complete Prius thread
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nomadac wrote:
While camping in Murrells Inlet, SC I saw a guy towing a tri-axle Airstream with a Dodge Magnum. Had a large hitch that almost dragged on the pavement. I am sure that Airstream had a GCWR of 9600# and I doubt that the Magnum had a towing capacity of that amount. Had Canadian plates on the vehicle. He said it had plenty of power to tow the trailer, not sure about stopping it in an emergency.

It will probably out stop and out handle any truck pulling the same trailer in an emergency situation. Probably looked something like this except with a Dodge Magnum

Anyhoo.. back on topic

I have a utility trailer that I use to handle those loads. My little Kia outhandled that overloaded Caddy no doubt when I had nearly a ton of flooring on my trailer.

thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

timmac
Explorer
Explorer

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
One day as I was leaving my parents home a P/U went by with a load of sod that went a little above the cab. I debated about calling police in the next town but didn't. We left 10 minutes later and passed where he was stopped along the road with smoke coming from the rear of the truck. I think the tires had rubbed until they got so hot that they started smoking.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
While camping in Murrells Inlet, SC I saw a guy towing a tri-axle Airstream with a Dodge Magnum. Had a large hitch that almost dragged on the pavement. I am sure that Airstream had a GCWR of 9600# and I doubt that the Magnum had a towing capacity of that amount. Had Canadian plates on the vehicle. He said it had plenty of power to tow the trailer, not sure about stopping it in an emergency.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

Thunderbolt
Explorer
Explorer
loulou57 wrote:
jmcgsd wrote:
RoyB wrote:

Roy Ken

Bryan
380,000 miles.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:

Have you ever seen someone try to load a riding lawn mower in the trunk of a Prius?
Come on now, quit making fun of a Prius ..... This is a friend and believe me, his Prius does an awesome job of towing here in the mountains.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today