Did you mean:ย 

Overloaded or wrong truck?

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS
73 REPLIES 73

So..... Topes is Mexican for woman lying down??

I get it now !
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not just in parking lots... Have read stories on how these sneak up on a driver in MX on a regular road.
In all fairness the original post did mention Mexico.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Since everybody is guessing here is my guess. Mechanical resonance frequency failure.

My Chebby long bed 4 door had this problem on a road near me. It was a concrete freeway that had the expansion joints just at the wrong point for "my truck."

You could feel the frame flex on the thing when going down this road. Very weird feeling. Didn't happen on any other road I went on. A few years later they re-did the road and it never happened again.

BTW the new forum layout sucks IMHO. The quote box was great before and now it sucks There I said it. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
A monster truck camper with 1000-1500lb 6-8ft behind the axle gets rocking, it can put drastically more bending force on the frame.

It may visually appear that way, but the EC 1165 does NOT put thousands of pounds that far back from the axle.

Google its COG: 61.5", or roughly 5' measured from the front of the bed. That puts it right on, or a hair behind the rear axle.

Let's say it's 6" behind the rear axle: 6000 lbs x 6" = 36,000 in-lbs of moment. Assuming the typical hitch ball is 4' from rear axle, 36k in-lb/48" = 750lbs.

So the bending stress of a EC1165 is the same as 750 lbs of hitch weight. Who'd worry about that on a modern dually?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
4x4ord wrote:
Is anyone impacted by FlatBroke's photo? After seeing the photo, the guy who never overloads his truck will probably continue to never overload his truck. On the other hand, a guy like me who knows he can get away with grossly overloading his truck will probably continue to grossly overload his truck. Maybe if we knew the rest of the story we could learn something.

Covered Wagon has it all figured out...it's because the truck doesn't have a "real" frame! lol

Bottom line, some people could break an anvil and others are smart enough to know what they're doing...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
covered wagon wrote:
Center of gravity may be too far back, not forward enough but, the failed frame is the hydroformed modern day engineered frame. My first generation dodge had a real frame like that of the big rigs. First thing I noticed going to the newer dodge was the flexing I could feel in the frame while running gravel roads, you could feel a solid difference by comparison. When comparing frame thickness there was a noticeble difference in the thickness of the steel

Yes the camper is too much for that truck. Still can't understand why the front went up rather than down because proper center of gravity location would mean the front failing in the downward position. However, wind and road dynamics may play a roll no pun intended.

This thread would be more effective having been posted in the Truck Campers forum.

Say wut?

You're exactly 180 deg off in your assessment of a "real" (whatever that means, C channel I guess) frame vs a newer frame. Literally.
The newer boxed/hydroformed light duty truck frames are stiffer and stronger. Not sure what you're smokin here.
Camper is "too much" for the truck? You'll have to impart some more specifics with you wisdom here, because, that makes no sense, other than just a simple unfounded opinion.
And idk what would be gained with it being in the TC forum, lol. 6 pages in 2 days is a pretty good turnout...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is anyone impacted by FlatBroke's photo? After seeing the photo, the guy who never overloads his truck will probably continue to never overload his truck. On the other hand, a guy like me who knows he can get away with grossly overloading his truck will probably continue to grossly overload his truck. Maybe if we knew the rest of the story we could learn something.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

blt2ski
covered wagon wrote:
Center of gravity may be too far back, not forward enough but, the failed frame is the hydroformed modern day engineered frame. My first generation dodge had a real frame like that of the big rigs. First thing I noticed going to the newer dodge was the flexing I could feel in the frame while running gravel roads, you could feel a solid difference by comparison. When comparing frame thickness there was a noticeble difference in the thickness of the steel

Yes the camper is too much for that truck. Still can't understand why the front went up rather than down because proper center of gravity location would mean the front failing in the downward position. However, wind and road dynamics may play a roll no pun intended.

This thread would be more effective having been posted in the Truck Campers forum.

It could be more effective in the TC forum. Even at that, "IT'S NOT THE OP'S COMBO!!!!!!"

He pulled this off of Facebook which I had seen a day or three before.

Reality, no one is helping hindering etc the real owner of the truck. It's a swag as to what happened, no one will know the truth as to why or how this occured.

SWAG on for a bit, I'll be shutting down later.

Rotflmao

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
EC 1165 dry weight 4917lbs

Lots and lots of heavy options, big water tanks (-150 gal fresh, grey, black), etc, etc.

Definitely OVERLOADED!!

Are you kidding??? I have 6k pin weight and that places me right at my SAE RAWR of 9,750#. NOT hardly overloaded at all.

5er pin weight is much easier on the truck frame vs a truck camper. The load transfers almost directly down into the springs and axles. Very little bending force in the frame.

A monster truck camper with 1000-1500lb 6-8ft behind the axle gets rocking, it can put drastically more bending force on the frame.

That Camper simply did NOT cause that damage. The OP has been silent on what happened. I will bet one of the BIG speed bumps were the cause.

OP, what say you?????????????
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Walaby wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
RCMAN46 said: "What transmission did you have to have replaced?"

I had a very slight amount of weeping on my AISIN so I decided to have them reseal it under warranty. The Trans guy at the Dealer has a great rep in the Valley. Bottom line he rarely touched an AISIN and assumed like many other trans you could simply split it and replace the gasket. WRONG!!! He actually ordered a new gasket and did the seal a second time tested it and all was well. I get 45 miles from home when the "trans too hot" appears and lost most all power.

Upon further investigation by the tech he said the proper procedure was to remove the trans and have tail upright separate and add new gasket and re assemble.

The Dealer turned it in on my Warranty and as I said I had to tell them my weights I was towing along with my receipts for fluid and filter changes.

I wish I had just left the slight seepage, oh well! I do have a 2 year 100k additional warranty now.

So the dealer performed the work improperly, which resulted in damage, and they filed it under the warranty. I know/am sure it's done all the time, but that's just plain wrong. Dealer should have sucked it up because they basically got paid by the warranty department to fix their screw up, not a failed part.

Wonder what they would have done if the warranty department said they wouldn't cover it, for whatever reason. Since you had to demonstrate you stayed within all specs, had fluid changes on schedule etc, Im pretty positive they never told warranty department it was THEIR screw up.

Mike

I was prepared to go to the next level as the Dealer has insurance for such things. I agree it's not right but I was not going to step into it, until.....

The mechanic is a very honest guy he straight up told me what happened.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FlatBroke
Explorer
Explorer
No, itโ€™s not my truck. But did haul a very heavy camper on my โ€œ03โ€ Duramax 2500HD. I canโ€™t imagine anything not being a handful with that Eagle Cap.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
FlatBroke wrote:

I'm a little confused, as usual.

FlatBroke, is that your truck? Or is the picture just off the internet (as I think someone else posted seeing it)?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
bucky wrote:
@Time2Roll The interweb says that a tope is excessive alcohol consumption. What did you mean to type?
If the truck wasn't bought new I'd say it's a salt water flood victim.

Speed bumps in Mexico are called Topes.

The difference is they are 2-3 times higher and extremely abrupt compared to speed bumps in the USA.

Hit one at 60mph and expect damage.

Thanks for the explanation.
Puma 30RKSS

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hauled a longer slide in for 15 years in my 1991 F250. It had a 12.5ft bed length, 20.5ft overall. The camper was a little lighter than this one but I also frequently towed a 4,000lb boat on a 4.5ft long stinger behind the camper. I did get some frame flexing on that setup. It was definitely overloaded but the frame never broke. That much newer Ram should have about twice the frame that I had.

I never had all three tanks full at the same time. I always emptied at least the grey tank before filling the water tank. The grey tank in mine was behind the rear bumper. I didn't drive anywhere with much in it. A full tank that far back really messed up the steering.