73 REPLIES 73

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Geo*Boy wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
EC 1165 dry weight 4917lbs

Lots and lots of heavy options, big water tanks (-150 gal fresh, grey, black), etc, etc.

Definitely OVERLOADED!!

Are you kidding??? I have 6k pin weight and that places me right at my SAE RAWR of 9,750#. NOT hardly overloaded at all.

5er pin weight is much easier on the truck frame vs a truck camper. The load transfers almost directly down into the springs and axles. Very little bending force in the frame.

A monster truck camper with 1000-1500lb 6-8ft behind the axle gets rocking, it can put drastically more bending force on the frame.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
RCMAN46 said: "What transmission did you have to have replaced?"

I had a very slight amount of weeping on my AISIN so I decided to have them reseal it under warranty. The Trans guy at the Dealer has a great rep in the Valley. Bottom line he rarely touched an AISIN and assumed like many other trans you could simply split it and replace the gasket. WRONG!!! He actually ordered a new gasket and did the seal a second time tested it and all was well. I get 45 miles from home when the "trans too hot" appears and lost most all power.

Upon further investigation by the tech he said the proper procedure was to remove the trans and have tail upright separate and add new gasket and re assemble.

The Dealer turned it in on my Warranty and as I said I had to tell them my weights I was towing along with my receipts for fluid and filter changes.

I wish I had just left the slight seepage, oh well! I do have a 2 year 100k additional warranty now.

So the dealer performed the work improperly, which resulted in damage, and they filed it under the warranty. I know/am sure it's done all the time, but that's just plain wrong. Dealer should have sucked it up because they basically got paid by the warranty department to fix their screw up, not a failed part.

Wonder what they would have done if the warranty department said they wouldn't cover it, for whatever reason. Since you had to demonstrate you stayed within all specs, had fluid changes on schedule etc, Im pretty positive they never told warranty department it was THEIR screw up.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RoyJ wrote:
Either abuse (Baja related...) or frame deterioration via rust / drilling.

Even if it's overloaded, it's within a 1000 lbs of GVW. That's less then 10%. I've NEVER seen a properly designed frame fail with such a slight overload. We're not talking a Ford Ranger hauling an EC1165 here.

Think about dump trucks dumping a transfer trailer - they're overloading 200 - 300% momentarily, and do this day in day out.

Whole lotta speculation! Don't think OP has ever said what caused this to happen?????
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RCMAN46 said: "What transmission did you have to have replaced?"

I had a very slight amount of weeping on my AISIN so I decided to have them reseal it under warranty. The Trans guy at the Dealer has a great rep in the Valley. Bottom line he rarely touched an AISIN and assumed like many other trans you could simply split it and replace the gasket. WRONG!!! He actually ordered a new gasket and did the seal a second time tested it and all was well. I get 45 miles from home when the "trans too hot" appears and lost most all power.

Upon further investigation by the tech he said the proper procedure was to remove the trans and have tail upright separate and add new gasket and re assemble.

The Dealer turned it in on my Warranty and as I said I had to tell them my weights I was towing along with my receipts for fluid and filter changes.

I wish I had just left the slight seepage, oh well! I do have a 2 year 100k additional warranty now.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Either abuse (Baja related...) or frame deterioration via rust / drilling.

Even if it's overloaded, it's within a 1000 lbs of GVW. That's less then 10%. I've NEVER seen a properly designed frame fail with such a slight overload. We're not talking a Ford Ranger hauling an EC1165 here.

Think about dump trucks dumping a transfer trailer - they're overloading 200 - 300% momentarily, and do this day in day out.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Fiat, Chrysler, RAM or Selantis has NOTHING to do with carrying capacities plain and simple. These ratings are SAE verified. Read below.

All 4th gen DRW Crew Cab RAM's with the Cummins have the same front axle ratings and all have the same RAWR.

So? The truck was over the payload capacity listed on the door sticker, and for sure over the manufacturer's GVWR.

What is it that's bandied about these forums? The GVWR is only for warranty purposes? Well, this is a warranty purpose.

You can argue all you want that it shouldn't have broken and they didn't exceed axle ratings, but if the truck was over GVWR, warranty is void.

I did NOT say anything about "Warranty Purposes".

SAE is what matters plain and simple. They have to stay in class 3 or they would not be selling trucks in many locations.

How do you think what I posted above is not the godspel???

How can I load to the RAWR at 9,750# that is SAE rated and have my front axle unloaded weight at 5,250# and be within the 14k??? Simply aint going to happen. I am licensed to carry my load that is on my 6 tires and I am within by far any axle ratings by AAM and at or under the SAE ratings of both of my axles. I am 100% legal and within warranty weights.

If Chrysler could have denied my warranty when my trans had to be replaced they sure would have. I answered their questions with my RV weight of 24k and my rear axle weight of 9,750#. They approved warranty at a tune of WAYYY over 10k. I also had to show my fluid and filter purchases.

PLEASE tell me why the above SAE ratings are part of RAM's specifications if I can't use them???

Look at my door jamb it says air rear tires to 65 psi for 9,750# load. It says 80psi fronts for 6k SAE rating.

The truck was NOT overloaded plain and simple unless he had some crazy heavy stuff at one end or the Camper or the other.

What transmission did you have to have replaced?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Assuming the truck is still within the warranty period, Iโ€™ve seen nothing in the stated warranty regarding gvw or axle ratings.
It doesnโ€™t exist. It is loose in that โ€œabuse or neglectโ€ are not covered. Itโ€™s subjective. End of story.
BUT considering there is like a 99.99% chance that it was not a structural defect in the frame, it would literally be a waste of time and all the bandwidth yโ€™all have burned theorizing about silly stuff, to call the Ram dealer.
The insurance company gets the call on this one and hope they donโ€™t find any โ€œabuse or neglect.โ€ Although insurance generally covers stupid human tricks. At least once anywayโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Fiat, Chrysler, RAM or Selantis has NOTHING to do with carrying capacities plain and simple. These ratings are SAE verified. Read below.

All 4th gen DRW Crew Cab RAM's with the Cummins have the same front axle ratings and all have the same RAWR.

So? The truck was over the payload capacity listed on the door sticker, and for sure over the manufacturer's GVWR.

What is it that's bandied about these forums? The GVWR is only for warranty purposes? Well, this is a warranty purpose.

You can argue all you want that it shouldn't have broken and they didn't exceed axle ratings, but if the truck was over GVWR, warranty is void.

I did NOT say anything about "Warranty Purposes".

SAE is what matters plain and simple. They have to stay in class 3 or they would not be selling trucks in many locations.

How do you think what I posted above is not the godspel???

How can I load to the RAWR at 9,750# that is SAE rated and have my front axle unloaded weight at 5,250# and be within the 14k??? Simply aint going to happen. I am licensed to carry my load that is on my 6 tires and I am within by far any axle ratings by AAM and at or under the SAE ratings of both of my axles. I am 100% legal and within warranty weights.

If Chrysler could have denied my warranty when my trans had to be replaced they sure would have. I answered their questions with my RV weight of 24k and my rear axle weight of 9,750#. They approved warranty at a tune of WAYYY over 10k. I also had to show my fluid and filter purchases.

PLEASE tell me why the above SAE ratings are part of RAM's specifications if I can't use them???

Look at my door jamb it says air rear tires to 65 psi for 9,750# load. It says 80psi fronts for 6k SAE rating.

The truck was NOT overloaded plain and simple unless he had some crazy heavy stuff at one end or the Camper or the other.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yeah, I mean, weโ€™ve seen a grand total of what? 3 or so of these types of failures with big TCs on trucks over the years on the internet. The famous one being the super doody with the big camper and the big cargo trailer on the back?
Yet I pass campers like this by the dozens daily sometimes flying back n forth across the state here. Including my own for several years.
Never seen this and probably no one in the large esteemed circle of RVers here has either.
BUT Iโ€™ve seen more than one light duty truck break the frame and or axle from being overloaded. Those failure modes were bent axle tubes and the frames would crack right over the rear axle (where the largest bending moment is on the back half (similar to the largest bending moment in this case โ€œbetweenโ€ the F and R axles. However with the CG of most of every TC including this one being near the Rear axle, the moment isnโ€™t huge at the back of the cab unless some other loads were present. (Like the super doody internet famous truck mentioned above.)

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might be different with newer trucks, or when the load is a camper, but when we overload 1 ton trucks the first thing to break is normally the lug studs.
The idea that somebody drilled/cut/welded on the frame seams most likely to me.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Overloaded.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Me Again wrote:

I believe the Maga cab dually is the only short bed model available.

I see what you did there!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
StirCrazy wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
Ram doesnโ€™t make a DRW short bed in a crew cab.

actualy the do, My niebour has one. I didn't think they did either. I am not sure if it was a custom order or what, it was his brothers that came with the new artic fox camper when he passed. I was interested in buying the camper but when I went to look at it I found ou it was a short box model.

Steve

No,they donโ€™t. Never did. Ford did for a few years in the early super doody days.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkirsch wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Not a short bed and wth is a tope?
It broke. Either defective or the owner got too western with almost 3 tons in the bed down there in Baja. Just because the name says it, shouldnโ€™t drive like a trophy truckโ€ฆ
But the supposition should be strong in this thread. Already on a rollโ€ฆ.

You should see the comments on the original Facebook post. This is amateur hour compared to that.

"Not overloaded." Sure. My bet is that truck has never seen a scale so the owner has no clue. It for sure per its manufacturer's ratings, is overloaded. Maybe not by truck camper owner standards, but by Fiat's.

This is one where the manufacturer may just take everything and have it weighed and deny warranty. Too bad we will never know.

Shouldn't this be in TC's anyway? This truck is not towing anything.