Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Park Model Trailer

Dcb1101
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

I am considering buying a used 'Park Model Camper' (cross between a travel trailer and a mobile home. Titled as a travel trailer, but meant to be towed to a campground/lake/mountain and setup for longer term use) to use as a temporary house on a piece of land we have, while we are building our new house.

I went and looked and one last night, however I'm having a hard time finding any actual info on it.

The gentleman that is selling it has the title, which says it is a 1995 HMS model 3462. It is 11' wide & 40' long.

I cannot find any info on a HMS trailer. Does anyone here know anything about these or know where I should search?

Thank you!
9 REPLIES 9

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
if you are still thinking of a park model, you may want to get one with a storage area second floor, really a crawl space that can be used for sleeping, etc. to circumvent the 399 ft limit.
bumpy

Dcb1101
Explorer
Explorer
I just found out he sold it to someone else last night. Wasn't meant to be.

Thanks for everyone's info and advice!

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
If it's 11 ft wide you are going to need an oversize permit to tow. Signs and flags also.Your into mobile home territory with a trailer that size and weight.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
The value on an RV trailer that old is going to be based solely on condition. There won't been any book value to go on even if you could figure out what it is. The title may have the weight listed on it (depends on the state). If it doesn't, hook it up and tow it to a scale. This much is going to be true, it is going to be heavy, especially for a bumper pull. The odds are you aren't going to be going very far, so pick a slow traffic day, be sure you have the biggest truck you can get your hands on, and drive away. I would double check the tires, because if it has been sitting for years on the original tires, they might all decide travel day is the day to die. If that happens you are going to have a serious mess on the side of the road.

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
Dcb1101 wrote:
It does not have holding tanks, which apparently is common with 'Park Model Trailers', since they are to be setup more-so permanent.

It is 40' long including the tongue and added length due to a bay window on the back. The actual living space is 11' x 35' so it is under the 400sq/ft limit.

It appears to have pex water lines, and standard appliances, but camper style furnace and a traditional looking AC under the belly.

I'm wanting to find info on the weight, who makes it (HMS?), typical-reasonable resell price, where to find/ how to replace the furnace, any available manuals, etc, etc, etc. Any info I can basically. Strikes me as a bit odd that I cant find Anything!

At the very least, the weight should be on a placard somewhere (GVWR, axle weight, etc etc). On ours it's on a metal card on the frame, shows ~18,000 lbs.

Try Nadaguides, they do have a lot of listings of manufacturers I've never heard of and also those who are no longer in business.

Dcb1101
Explorer
Explorer
It does not have holding tanks, which apparently is common with 'Park Model Trailers', since they are to be setup more-so permanent.

It is 40' long including the tongue and added length due to a bay window on the back. The actual living space is 11' x 35' so it is under the 400sq/ft limit.

It appears to have pex water lines, and standard appliances, but camper style furnace and a traditional looking AC under the belly.

I'm wanting to find info on the weight, who makes it (HMS?), typical-reasonable resell price, where to find/ how to replace the furnace, any available manuals, etc, etc, etc. Any info I can basically. Strikes me as a bit odd that I cant find Anything!

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
If it is really 11 feet wide by 40 feet long, it will be considered a manufactured (or mobile) home, and not a park model RV. Recreational vehicles and manufactured housing are built to different standards. Anything over 400 square feet will not be a recreational vehicle.

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
I'd start with the manufacturer, see if you can find more info on HMS. Probably an abbreviation for something.

I'm a bit confused, though, it cannot be 40 feet long by 11 feet wide as the US in general restricts them to under 400 square feet. I think Canadian park models can be larger, so given the lack of information perhaps that is Canadian? When I was researching park models I did find some manufacturers that would build them 12 feet or even 15 feet wide. Not sure how they transported them!

To my knowledge park models that are that wide typically do not have built in tanks. It's the "destination trailers" that are 8'6" with slides that tend to have those. I could be wrong though.

What are you looking for? Weight specs or what tires to put on it? Type of frame or construction specs?

I am not familiar with park models of that era, but they are usually built almost like a house. Our park model even has a 30 gallon residential type water heater, even though the furnace is the typical RV type. All the appliances are also residential type. The plumbing is PEX as in an RV though.

I'd think you could still find manuals for the appliances online.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
does it have black/grey/FW tanks or will you need them where you park it?
bumpy