cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Peninsular 6.5 turbo diesel

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
We got er about done. We stuck a brand new 6.5 in an old '93 GMC crew cab. The engine sounds very nice. Its first scheduled pull is the end of the month.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5
12 REPLIES 12

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I really don't know much about the company. They are very good to deal with as far as answeing questions and promising satisfaction. I guess time will tell how good they are at honoring those promises. My '93 has the mechanical pump so no pmd.
B&W Companion

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Wish It was an article on just my burb, It was actually a picture and short write up on readers rides of last year. It was of 1 of 40 out of thousands sent in from around the world. Sorry I dont know how to link up. Hows peninsular diesel doing these days?? and are you running a heath pmd??

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
MARK VANDERBENT wrote:
Forgot to mention I had 560,000 miles on my 95 6.5 burb that I sold last year. Also made it into truck trend magazine. Sorry to talk about my stuff when this about your new rattler. Would love to hear dyno numbers.

I'd be interested in hearing all about your 6.5 burb. I ordered this '93 crew cab 4x4 right from the factory - it was the first new vehicle I ever owned. My daughter's boy friend saw it parked in the corner of the yard and fell in love with it. So it's actually his money that's going into the truck. Once we get finished pulling on wrenches it won't be mine anymore. It would be interesting to see how she dynos, but, unless the new 4" exhaust we have ordered is going to make a big difference, I don't think this engine is putting out anywhere near the 300 HP they told me it would. Just comparing its acceleration to that of my '03 Duramax, my guess is that it is producing more like 250 HP. I am also kind of disappointed in the level of black smoke it produces under full load acceleration ... I thought with the new bigger turbo it would be able to handle the increased fuel better. Once we get the exhaust on we can try advancing the timing a little and maybe get a bit better performance and a little less smoke out of it. It sure is nice and quiet though.
B&W Companion

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Any link to that truck trend magazine article Mark? I'd love to read it.
Sorry for the hijack Terry ๐Ÿ˜ž
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to mention I had 560,000 miles on my 95 6.5 burb that I sold last year. Also made it into truck trend magazine. Sorry to talk about my stuff when this about your new rattler. Would love to hear dyno numbers.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a 6.5 in my old 86 C20. I bought a long block from GM and they replaced it three times before I had one that the cylinder wall did not break. To GM's credit they did back up their product.

I have to say the 6.5 is really not much quieter than my 98 12V.

I wish you the best of luck with your project!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats and give us a full tow report.

We had a 97 2500 4x4 Extended Cab with the 6.5 TD. It was a really good truck. We should have kept it for one of our work trucks.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Big Katuna wrote:
Curious. Why not a rebuilt Cummins/Allison?

I actually have an old Cummins with less than 100k miles on it that I could have used but I find those engines to be just too noisy. Using a newer Cummins or Duramax would have been more work than what I was willing to put into the truck. I believe this new GM 6.5 block along with the Peninsular internals will provide many years of trouble free driving.
B&W Companion

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
good for you. I know the owners and went on a diesel page outing there few years back with my turbo burb. Miss my old 6.5 burb !!! enjoy your fresh new powerplant.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Curious. Why not a rebuilt Cummins/Allison?
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
It was pricey. Yes new fuel system and turbo. I think it was around $10k. Then we needed some other stuff... gaskets, new rad, new high output water pump and a Duramax fan, all new hoses, new clutch, new exhaust, new brakes, new shocks and tires.
B&W Companion

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
How much for a complete engine? Did you get a new fuel system too?
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln