cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking up new truck tom0rrow

kimomjtb
Explorer
Explorer
Finally found what we were looking for after searching all over the country..for the past few weeks...Dh and son flying to Georgia tomorrow..to pick up our new 2016 RAM 3500 LARAMIE CREW CAB4X4 DRW LONG BOX. With Aisin tranny 373 gears...Lets hope we can now tow our new 5th wheel purchased last fall with a bit more ease then with our current 03 3500 ctd srw.
:)KIm
16 Ram 3500 CTD DRW crew cab/BTW companion Hitch
16 Palomino Columbus 385bh
11 Dodge Challenger SRT 8 392 Hemi inaugural Edition (his toy)
13 Nissan Rogue mine
DH of 35 yrs
Justin(28)Ty(23), Brad(18)

camping pics
21 REPLIES 21

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
You might notice a slight difference in towing power over your '03 once you hook that 900 ft/lb torque beast up to your 5ver. We bought a '15 2500 Big Horn with a 6.7 and absolutely love it.

Congratulation on your new acquisition.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new truck and thank you.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
kimomjtb wrote:
Greene728 wrote:
Excellent choice! What dealer here in GA if you don't mind me asking?
Akins Ford....they are even sending a driver to pick them up. I beleive they are located an hour away from Atlanta..

Akins is an excellent organization.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
IdaD wrote:
You could also buy an adapter that fits the factory pucks and mount your existing hitch to that, assuming you were happy with how it worked. Figure $380 with free shipping.

If you are going picture frame, I highly recommend the Demco 6099 over the Reese/Ram one. Better puck latches, sits lower similar to standard rails and can be released from pucks without unpinning the hitch.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congrats on the new ride. Enjoy!!
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
You could also buy an adapter that fits the factory pucks and mount your existing hitch to that, assuming you were happy with how it worked. Figure $380 with free shipping.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Billzo
Explorer
Explorer
Just pick a name brand hitch in your price range and rated for more than your current towing needs and you'll be fine.
2000 McKenzie Monaco 36RLT
2014 Ram 2500 HD Outdoorsman SLT Longbed

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bionic Man wrote:
I am not familiar with the Curt, but I don't know how you can possibly say that a Reese is "harder to hitch" than a B & W.

Long story, but I borrowed a truck with a B & W hitch to move my trailer in April. There was no difference in ease of hitching vs my Reese Elite. And I honestly felt that the B&W was unnecessarily big - much bulkier than my Reese (comparing a 20k B&W vs my 18k Reese).

After reading all the dribble on here regarding how superior the B&W is, I was honestly disappointed in the B&W. f I was buying a hitch today, I would chose a Reese Elite over the B&W, but that is a personal preference - it is likely you would not go wrong with purchasing either.

I know you LOVE your B&W, but it pretty apparent that you are less than objective in matters related to hitches (as well as other things).

Some Reese hitch just fine and others do not. The upper end models seem to be fine. Just going on what I have read. I do have personal experience hitching the Curt/RAM hitch and it is NOT simple and easy.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I am not familiar with the Curt, but I don't know how you can possibly say that a Reese is "harder to hitch" than a B & W.

Long story, but I borrowed a truck with a B & W hitch to move my trailer in April. There was no difference in ease of hitching vs my Reese Elite. And I honestly felt that the B&W was unnecessarily big - much bulkier than my Reese (comparing a 20k B&W vs my 18k Reese).

After reading all the dribble on here regarding how superior the B&W is, I was honestly disappointed in the B&W. f I was buying a hitch today, I would chose a Reese Elite over the B&W, but that is a personal preference - it is likely you would not go wrong with purchasing either.

I know you LOVE your B&W, but it pretty apparent that you are less than objective in matters related to hitches (as well as other things).
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally I would bite the bullet and get the one in the pic. $1,159 from trailer to Tweety's.

Maybe someone can chime in, can you use the 20K Companion with the gooseneck portion of the RAM Factory puck system? If so that would be less expensive and still high quality.

Curt is made in China, REESE ic China/Mexico if that matters. They are both harder to hitch than the B&W.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

kimomjtb
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
kimomjtb wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Great truck and congrats! Curious, why the 3.73's? Did you get the puck system? If so I would highly recommend one of these!
Cummins12V98 wrote:
kimomjtb wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Great truck and congrats! Curious, why the 3.73's? Did you get the puck system? If so I would highly recommend one of these!

http://i.imgur.com/wTAbh3bl.jpg[/IMG]
As,long as we got the aisin tranny the 373"s was not a make or break deal..would have taken 342 or the 410's ..but was happy with 373...didnt feel the need for the 4.10 'and was hopjng for possibly a bit better gas mileage....took a long rime finding the truck with the right tranny the right color the right interior etc. that my husbamd wanted...We do have a hitch that we got last fall when we bought our fifth wheel ..it's a slider hutch and it's a husky ...would that would be fine to use ?...going to go to the dealer and check it out for installation when my husband gets back...is there really a need for a certain type of hitch because were blind on this ...this is what the dealer sold us when we bought our 5th wheel

If you have the factory puck system I would advise selling your hitch and getting a B&W as shown above. Great truck deserves a great hitch.
. Dh just got home and yes it does have the puck system so it looks like we're going to need a different hitch… Are there different sizes in the companion hitch ? it looks like I only am only seeing one and it's goes to 25,000 pound weight capability…our trailer dry weight is around 13,000 so 25,000 seems a little overkill ..would really like to have the dealership install as dh,doesn't really want to be bothered with it and not to mention wants to make sure it's done the right way…but I'm just wondering if it would be less expensive for us to get it ourselves versus having them get it..any places that you would recommend getting it from… Seems like it's around 1200 which I am not happy with… Funds are running low and we still have a wedding to pay for this year??...and other any other hitches that would work with this truck that may be a little less expensive ? curt or reese?

As,long as we got the aisin tranny the 373"s was not a make or break deal..would have taken 342 or the 410's ..but was happy with 373...didnt feel the need for the 4.10 'and was hopjng for possibly a bit better gas mileage....took a long rime finding the truck with the right tranny the right color the right interior etc. that my husbamd wanted...We do have a hitch that we got last fall when we bought our fifth wheel ..it's a slider hutch and it's a husky ...would that would be fine to use ?...going to go to the dealer and check it out for installation when my husband gets back...is there really a need for a certain type of hitch because were blind on this ...this is what the dealer sold us when we bought our 5th wheel

If you have the factory puck system I would advise selling your hitch and getting a B&W as shown above. Great truck deserves a great hitch.. Dh just got home and yes it does have the puck system so it looks like we're going to need a different hitch… Are there different sizes in the companion hitch ? it looks like I only am only seeing one and it's goes to 25,000 pound weight capability…our trailer dry weight is around 13,000 so 25,000 seems a little overkill ..would really like to have the dealership install as dh,doesn't really want to be bothered with it and not to mention wants to make sure it's done the right way…but I'm just wondering if it would be less expensive for us to get it ourselves versus having them get it..any places that you would recommend getting it from… Seems like it's around 1200 which I am not happy with… Funds are running low and we still have a wedding to pay for this year??...and other any other pictures that would work with her truck that may be a little less expensive ? curt or reese?
13 Nissan Rogue mine
DH of 35 yrs

camping pics

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
kimomjtb wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

If you have the factory puck system I would advise selling your hitch and getting a B&W as shown above. Great truck deserves a great hitch.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on new truck! You will notice a positive difference in towing. I did from my previous 2006... Pics!!!

kimomjtb
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

http://i.imgur.com/wTAbh3bl.jpg[/IMG] As,long as we got the aisin tranny the 373"s was not a make or break deal..would have taken 342 or the 410's ..but was happy with 373...didnt feel the need for the 4.10 'and was hopjng for possibly a bit better gas mileage....took a long rime finding the truck with the right tranny the right color the right interior etc. that my husbamd wanted...We do have a hitch that we got last fall when we bought our fifth wheel ..it's a slider hutch and it's a husky ...would that would be fine to use ?...going to go to the dealer and check it out for installation when my husband gets back...is there really a need for a certain type of hitch because were blind on this ...this is what the dealer sold us when we bought our 5th wheel
13 Nissan Rogue mine
DH of 35 yrs

camping pics