cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

planning the next Southeast TC Gathering

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
It's time to start planning the next gathering of truck camper enthusiasts here in the southeast! I'm thinking sometime in March or April. But where? We've been to Smoky Bear CG near Gatlinburg twice and they were excellent hosts. Do we want to return there or does anyone have any suggestions on another place to meet? Desirable features are a central location, reservable sites, an inside or at least covered area to meet, and nearby points of interest. I checked a year or two ago on Monte Sano State Park near Huntsville, AL. Seemed like a nice campground with a pavilion in the camping area but I've never been there. Maybe a good excuse for a weekend trip for me and the DH :B
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4
Torklift/Fastguns/Hellwig/StableLoads
50 REPLIES 50

billyg
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Phyllis, you pick the date. The sooner we know the better. Bill

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Don't care of the campground has cell reception or Internet or anything. So long as it's clean, the spots are accomodating, has clean facilities and good hosts, all that matters to us.

And reasonably priced too....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
Smokey Bear sounds good to us. It would be hard to find a nicer campground an host. It would be easier to make reservations and navigate thru any possible problems or changes that might come up. Besides we have a voucher for one free night stay there won from the drawing at the last gathering.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
Don't worry about the Mid-Atlantic Michelle and I gave that up two years ago after running it for over 10 the campground has the ability to have it again but not sure what is going on there to be quite honest..
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
Pick one that works for you.. don't worry they will come regardless.
Trust me I know.
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
I've decided to go back to Smoky Bear CG near Gatlinburg TN. I like the other campgrounds suggested but don't have enough vacation time to visit one or more of them and am hesitant to schedule an event at a place I haven't checked out in person. Now to pick a date!
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
Atchafalaya_man wrote:
These days finding a park that has cellphone reception is as important as bringing coffee. Consider that, wherever you choose, for many of those campgrounds have none for miles.

Strongly disagree..

I get away to get away.. and that means the phone gets put in the console and not seen till we leave the beach.
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Not for us. I don't care about cell phone service and tend to leave the phone in the truck, in the glove box, IOW, we can live just fine without.

People are a bit too dependent on things like cell phones, computers and other electronic gizmo's.

My sentiments exactly. My phone is off most of the time except when actually driving and then it may still be off.
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Not for us. I don't care about cell phone service and tend to leave the phone in the truck, in the glove box, IOW, we can live just fine without.

People are a bit too dependent on things like cell phones, computers and other electronic gizmo's.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Atchafalaya_man
Explorer
Explorer
These days finding a park that has cellphone reception is as important as bringing coffee. Consider that, wherever you choose, for many of those campgrounds have none for miles.

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
hi - we were at the 1st event. would like to attend again. but, as of right now we do not own an RV of any kind. however, my choice would be Smoky Bear.
hope all is well and you have a great event.

stuart
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

Gulf_Coast_Gyps
Explorer
Explorer
Phyllis I do not see firm dates for either rally. They both have been traditionally held in April for many years. The rally in TX last year was April 6-9th and the rally in VA was April 20-23rd. I know PJ from Princesscraft in TX is scouting for a new location for her rally and there was talk that the rally in VA may not be held next year or may be relocated to another area. If I hear of any confirmed dates I'll let you know.
Darryl & Kathy
2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4 door HO DRW Automatic,
Airbags, Rancho 9000X, Tracvision L5 Satellite Dish, Pac Brake

2012 Chalet TS116
2006 Honda AWD CRV (Stowmaster AllTerrain Carmounted tow bar Model #5500502)
Zack the Security Cat

GoinThisAway
Explorer
Explorer
So glad to hear from some more of my friends from 2014 and/or 2016! And some new victims ... er, attendees as well 😉 For those that haven't heard of the SE TCers, these gatherings are just a way to get some of us TC enthusiasts together. There was a Southeast TC Rally down in FL that was put on a couple years by someone else. These gatherings came about when their situation changed and they couldn't do the rally. The first gathering was in APR 2014 and the second in NOV 2016. So it looks like its a somewhat bi-annual event ... at least as long as I'm still part of the 40-hr a week workforce. Or unless someone else would like to schedule a SE TC Gathering on the alternate years :@

GulfCoastGypsies mentioned the Texas and Midatlantic TC rallies. I do try to avoid conflicting date but don't see 2018 dates on their websites. Can someone let me know what those dates are?
2008 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 25C10.4

billyg
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Phyllis, The smallest tag a long will be watching the post.:) Bill

Sango
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Phyliss. so good to hear you are planning another rally. We had such a great time in 2016. Keep us posted on when and where. And how we can help.

Susan and Ron
2018 3500 Dodge Laramie DRW 4 X 4
2019 Bigoot 25C10.4
2016 Jeep Wrangler Sport