cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plans w/ bath open to bedroom? (Split bath, walk-thru bath)

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
My new favorite floorplan (:)) is with bath open to bedroom area, either with rear kitchen or rear living. Below are pictures of the plans that I know of.

Do you know of any other manufacturers of similar floorplans?

Thank you!

Hideout 24RLSWE – 28’9”

Arctic Fox 25Y – 30’0”

Timber Ridge 240RKS – 28’8”

Snow River 246RKS- 28’4”

Hideout 23RKSWE – 28’6”

26 REPLIES 26

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer

Zinger, by CROSSROADS
Times fun when you're having flies!

Harlock
Explorer
Explorer
My new TT (2005 Keystone Outback M-27 RSDS) has the split walk through bathroom - something we've never had before and are looking forward to. Bathrooms have always been really cramped in our previous trailers and since this one envelops what would normally be the hallway it is quite spacious.

from the kitchen to the bathroom is a real honest to god door, and between the bathroom and the bedroom is an accordion partition thing.

The coolest thing is the rear slide - 27 feet on the road but then you get an extra four feet at the end when the slide comes out - giving you a total of two queen beds.

We will mainly be RVing with our one daughter still at home at maximum, other times it will be just us. If we had another couple in there there would not be much sound protection between the bathroom and bedroom especially if people not in the master bedroom got up at night to do business.

There's not much you can do with trailers of this size for that though. An ideal situation for that would be an enclosed bathroom off to the side in the middle of a larger trailer. Seen plenty of examples of that but not willing to go that big right now.

2005 Keystone Outback M-27 RSDS
2000 F250 Crew Cab 7.3L Diesel W/ECU Programmer

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you Wes Tausend for sharing your thought process and experience. This is helpful to those of us who like to learn from the experience of others.

Wes_Tausend
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Wes Tausend wrote:

These are all great floorplans. My DW (DearWife) and I love to peruse room arrangements and various plans. I understand why these styles appeal to you.

I think our plan is similar to Barney's. We finally settled on a walk-through bath to save wasting hallway as you and Barney likewise. Because of the extra wall at the foot, our bedroom is then a little more cramped, but we use the large bath aisle for dressing anyway. So do our guests, all taking turns:

We often invite guests that need to maintain privacy too, and nobody has to crawl over anybody to get to the bathroom. We leave both doors slightly ajar overnight and whoever uses the bathroom shuts both tight, then cracks them again a bit for signal when done. Guests have remarked that our camper is the most convenient plan to double in.

As a bonus, the doubledoor bit keeps both sleeping areas amazingly sound isolated from the other, even when cracked open. When we camp alone, my wife often closes both bath doors in the morning to keep from disturbing me, the one who stayed up late by the campfire. Also, if I shower late, or she showers early, we do not disturb the other as much with a door in between.

Incidentally, your 246RKS photo is oversized for the page, causing readers to have to scroll sideways.

Enjoy your new camper, whatever you decide.

Wes
Am I missing a door between the living area and the toilet and shower area? If not, what do you do if you have guests and someone needs to shower or use the toilet.

It doesn't show, but there is a sliding door inside the wall between the large pantry and the spacious bath wardrobe. The opposing wall (the TV cabinet sidewall) also has the hall thermostat control on it. The other slider door is already properly shown along side the bedroom wall. They both slide very smoothly and quietly.

To signify night-time availability when we have guests, both these sliders are left 95% closed while the bath is unoccupied, thereby splitting the camper and blocking the majority of the view and noise (not otherwise possible in most floorplans). Wearing appropriate public night clothes to enter the bath is still encouraged. During use, the occupant closes one, usually both, doors entirely of course.

During periods of privately dressing/undressing, just the nearest door is ordinarily closed. All-in-all, in use it is a simple-to-understand privacy arrangement that works extraordinarily well.

Like the OP, we like that there is no wasted hallway along side a separate bathroom. This saved extra space becomes quite usable in the bath for generous stool foot-room, drying off, or dressing. By eliminating the hall footage, there is also enough floor space left over for two people to share bath facilities at one time, should they desire.

Offhand, many smaller, or less practical floorplans are forced to skip the pantry and/or bath closet. To DW's delight, our large kitchen pantry has deep, wide rolling drawers and oodles of upper storage space. The generous bath closet contains not only all the towels, sundries etc, but a roomy clothing bureau shelf for each of us, quite handy since we normally dress in the private open floor space there.

The master bedroom has the normal pair of side closets for hanging clothing. We spent a lot of time selecting this type floorplan because it met many criteria other plans did not. The only thing we would change in a TT, is to have a second slideout for a larger bedroom, maybe a kingsize bed. The second slideout may began to strain some 1/2 ton trucks, but we soon went 3/4 ton initially anyway.

We also apply the same practical lay-out logic to motorhomes we have looked at, and only a few meet our criteria in spite of being 40', instead of only 30' (like our TT). Of great note here, for ease of towing, several of the OP's choices are 6' shorter than 30' (@ only 24', one @ 23'!) yet retain much of the roomy-ness feeling of our 30 footer. Good job fugawi, I say!

Wes
Days spent camping are not subtracted from one's total.
- 2019 Leprechaun 311FS Class C
- Linda, Wes and Quincy the Standard Brown Poodle

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is one that splits the difference. It leaves the sink open but encloses the shower and toilet together. This gives the privacy some have mentioned above, but still leaves the bedroom a little more open.

Keystone Cougar 25RLSWE

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Wes Tausend wrote:

These are all great floorplans. My DW (DearWife) and I love to peruse room arrangements and various plans. I understand why these styles appeal to you.

I think our plan is similar to Barney's. We finally settled on a walk-through bath to save wasting hallway as you and Barney likewise. Because of the extra wall at the foot, our bedroom is then a little more cramped, but we use the large bath aisle for dressing anyway. So do our guests, all taking turns:

We often invite guests that need to maintain privacy too, and nobody has to crawl over anybody to get to the bathroom. We leave both doors slightly ajar overnight and whoever uses the bathroom shuts both tight, then cracks them again a bit for signal when done. Guests have remarked that our camper is the most convenient plan to double in.

As a bonus, the doubledoor bit keeps both sleeping areas amazingly sound isolated from the other, even when cracked open. When we camp alone, my wife often closes both bath doors in the morning to keep from disturbing me, the one who stayed up late by the campfire. Also, if I shower late, or she showers early, we do not disturb the other as much with a door in between.

Incidentally, your 246RKS photo is oversized for the page, causing readers to have to scroll sideways.

Enjoy your new camper, whatever you decide.

Wes
Am I missing a door between the living area and the toilet and shower area? If not, what do you do if you have guests and someone needs to shower or use the toilet.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you want the sink and shower open to the bedroom? If Hubby takes an early morning shower while you are sleeping, then he is toweling off in the bedroom... really? Is your sink and shower at home in your bedroom? I doubt it! Take a look at the Keystone Bullet 285 RLS Ultralight on line with rear rocker recliners and bathroom angled with hallway so bedroom is separated from living area..as it should be..We have one.. and we love the layout for just a couple!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
temccarthy1 wrote:
Why do you want the shower and sink open to the bedroom??? Do you have that at home.. no way! Do you want an early morning shower hubby stepping out of the shower right in the bedroom when you are still sleeping?? Take a look at the Keystone Bullet 285RLS floor layout. We have one. Very nice including the rocker recliners and he bathroom is angled making a nice hallway that hides bedroom from living area! It is an ultralight, 30 ft long and only weighs 5500lbs! Also very deluxe interior ! We have a 2014 and love it!

Your Bullet is a nice floorplan. I do like that extra room of the sofa in the living area. We just don't like the feel of bedrooms with the wall right near the foot of the bed. The open bath solves that problem. Also want to be able to look out the back window from the bedroom.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Why do you want the shower and sink open to the bedroom??? Do you have that at home.. no way! Do you want an early morning shower hubby stepping out of the shower right in the bedroom when you are still sleeping?? Take a look at the Keystone Bullet 285RLS floor layout. We have one. Very nice including the rocker recliners and he bathroom is angled making a nice hallway that hides bedroom from living area! It is an ultralight, 30 ft long and only weighs 5500lbs! Also very deluxe interior ! We have a 2014 and love it!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is one more for anyone else interested in this floorplan.

It's a Passport, also by Keystone.

Passport 2450RLWE

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like floor plans that have the tv mounted high or at 90% to the primary seating area. Some of those floor plans would be unacceptable for that reason.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the Timber Ridge 240RKS. I like the rear kitchen with the window over the sink and you do get a little more counter space. Also if you don't need the sofa sleeper, you have the option of the two recliners, plus I like the split bath with the separate room for the toilet. I also like a little more room in bedroom and you have a door there for fresh air also, as I have claustrophobia and do not like being all closed in. In the end it is up to you though. We have the front kitchen in our trailer with a bedroom with a slide out and a split bath and we love it.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

fugawi
Explorer II
Explorer II
redwing10 wrote:
We have a Arctic Fox 25Y and really enjoy the floor plan as it makes the bedroom feel bigger and you have a separate toilet room.

Thank you.

Kay_and_Gene
Explorer
Explorer
check out the 2016 Coachmen 250RLS w/walk thru bath
Kay & Gene, Beagles Maxine, Lucille, Bella(rescued Beagle mix)
2016 Apex 250RLS
2012 RAM Bighorn Crew 1500 5.7L Hemi
Equilizer hitch