cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prep for trip..

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
Every year we take our big trip at Christmas. This will be our first year with the TT. On the old motorhome I would spend a couple of long days changing fluids and crawling all over it. But, when I look at the TT there's just not that much to do. I'll check tire pressures, do a good walk around, check for water leaks, check electrical system, check heat and water heater.. Am I missing anything? All of that will take an hour.

I just did a big service on the Suburban and it's ready to go.

Sure is nice not to have all the work that goes with a motorhome.
20 REPLIES 20

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
It appears that you have it in order. Something I always do is to check after a trip, something I did when I was a crew chief on an airplane. I do it on my travel trailer, nothing like getting ready for a trip and finding something that needs fixing. My DW always wonders why I hook up a day or two before we head out. I check my lights and other things.
Mark

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Our TT is ready to go because we use it a lot. Kind of a repair as you go plan.

Bearings are a checked before any long trip but most of the other items are maintained as needed during our camping trips.

A thorough check before any long trip is always a good idea. I like to log in the trip mileage. Small outing can add up quickly.

Enjoy the holidays.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You've got it about right. Travel trailers really don't take much prep work if you are diligent in routine maintenance and depending upon how long its been since the last trip out.

Nunyadamn
Explorer
Explorer
Slides work, water heater works, no propane leaks (spray with soapy water on connections - I had a massive leak on a line once before a trip), check leaf springs, check that you have all of the stuff you need inside (we have forgotten remote for blue-ray player once, knife set, spatula as an example), power cord doesn't have tears (just found one on mine after getting it back from the dealer, luckily not through the inside insulation so just black tape for me). Travel trailers are nice because you don't have to worry about extra stuff (like transmission or radiator or oil, etc. - do have to worry about that with the tow vehicle though). Don't over think it, have fun.
2014 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS
2015 Ford F250 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does your electrical check includes battery water level?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure your bearings are in good shape and properly lubricated.