cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pretty Sure Dual Cam Shouldn't Look Like This!

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
Got home today & this is what happened to my Reese Dual Cam. Both pieces are supposed to be straight. Ouch.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Click For Full-Size Image.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS
2020 Silverado LTZ Crew, 5.3 Max Trailering Pkg.
26 REPLIES 26

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks to me like the cam arm may have bottomed out on a driveway dip/rise, rock, or some other hard surface. If only on one side then it could have occured while turning.

In the 2nd picture, it looks to me like the cam lifting bracket was put on backwards. The nuts should be on the outside of the bracket and the chain on the inside. It is very easy to put it on backwards and it will work that way BUT there is the chance the lifting bracket will be bent because of the chain pull on it - resulting in it looking like yours.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
Been using this one for 10 years. Had it recently set up for my new truck by a hitch shop & have towed all summer with no issues. Towed level at 6 links, cams were properly seated in the bar detents & FALR was 100%. No marks on "A" frame so there was no contact. The threaded part of the cam bent up which to me defies the laws of physics because the bar is pulling down on the cam.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm been using a DC for 15 years without a single issue.
Was it set up properly, set up level?

How many chain links used for towing ?

Was trunnion bar pulled up all the way up to cam ? 5 or less links of chain?

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I had something similar happen to only one side. I just bought replacement dual cam parts so I have one spare now. It is worth contacting Reese as well to help understand how that could happen.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Arn wrote:
Not a clue. Hitched up the same as usual & had no events along the way. I'm at a loss & I'm wondering what to go with as a replacement set up.

I would call Reese and talk to them about it. Their hitches and dual cam setups have a lifetime warranty. I am sure that they can help you through tech support. No way that this should have happened under normal conditions.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
Family-of-five wrote:
I use that very same rig.What the heck?

I can't figure it out, the cam bent up which makes no sense. If it was bent sideways I'd think it hit the "A" frame but I can't wrap my head around what would cause it to bend up.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her

Family-of-five
Explorer
Explorer
I use that very same rig.What the heck?

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
Is your trunion collar which mounts in the hitch head hitting the trailer A frame?

Not that I noticed. Everything looked fine.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
Not a clue. Hitched up the same as usual & had no events along the way. I'm at a loss & I'm wondering what to go with as a replacement set up.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Is your trunion collar which mounts in the hitch head hitting the trailer A frame?
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Nope, sure shouldn't. Cause?
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super glue?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad