cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Problems with new progressive dynamics converter

clg82
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone got around to installing my progress dynamics converter. And I'm having a problem because I don't think it's charging like it's supposed too. I bough two new batteries hooked them up in a series and installed a new progressive dynamics PD4645 converter. The green led on the board is flickering green but it's not charging my batteries. I'm reading 12.35 volts. Prior to installing the batteries were at 12.50 shouldn't it be charging the batteries since its at about 70%? What am I missing here's? Don't want both of my batteries to die because I'm missing something. Thanks for any help.
8 REPLIES 8

clg82
Explorer
Explorer
You were spot on Roy. Turns out that when I had a couple of wires crossed on the converter when installing it I blew the two 30 amp fuses that protect the circuit board on the converter itself. Replaced those and everything is working as advertised. Thanks for the help to everyone. Got it squared away.

ronfisherman
Check for 120 volts AC. The light will flash in what ever state converter was in when it last had 120 volt power. Also check reverse polarity fuses.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you have your new 12V batteries connected in a parallel configuration and not in series. You may wish to check your connections and make sure that they are connected correctly. Also check that all connections are tight and clean.

I know you had questions in another thread about which wires were to connect to others so there may be some miswiring going on. If that happened, there may be fuses blown or circuit breakers tripped. I would check them all especially what ever is protecting the wire from the battery to the converter. That circuit breaker or fuse should be close to the batteries.

Another thing would be the connection to ground. If that wire was loosened while you were changing batteries or if the ground connection to frame is corroded, you won't have good charging either.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
What voltage are each of the batteries?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
If your batteries are at 12.35 as measured, but were not connected to the coach & you are now connected to shore power & the batteries are connected, 13.6 VDC is the output voltage of the converter in the charging process.

I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
It sounds to me you have no connection between the converter/charger and the batteries. You may have sparked something and blown some fuses between the batteries and the converter.

To prove you are not connected just turn off the converter/charger unit and see if you turn on your ceiling lights in the trailer.

When things are normal your batteries should be putting out 12.6-7VDC if fully charged and the converter/charger unit off. When you turn on the converter/charger your battery voltage to jump up to 13.6VDC showing you are connected properly.

Just to double check... Find the outside NEG CABLE connection on your two 6VDC BATTERIES and make sure this is the cable going to the trailer frame ground. It is very easy to get cables reversed...

When the cable get reversed even just for a second they will blow the REVERSE POLARITY fuses and the INLINE fuse close to the battery.

Don't know what 12VDC Power Distribution chassis you are running but most of them have two high value fuses off to them self maybe labeled REVERSE POLARITY.

Both the CONVERTER/CHARGER unit and the BATTERIES must feed the 12VDC Power Distribution Panel at the same point. This way your 12VDC FUSES located in the fuse panel will get DC power when you are on shore power or just running off the batteries.

This is a diagram on how the two 6VDC Batteries must be connected...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

clg82
Explorer
Explorer
buzzard616 wrote:
Did you get 12.35 V at the converter or the batteries. If you're getting two different readings at those places I will take a really dumb sounding guess and ask if there is a battery cutoff switch somewhere that was forgotten.

Stu

Nope no battery cut off switch. I got 12.35 at the batteries. It says in the progressive manual that if the led is flashing 2-3 times a second that the battery has reached 90% of full charge and the output voltage is 13.6VDC. But where is that voltage reading at the batteries or the converter?

buzzard616
Explorer
Explorer
Did you get 12.35 V at the converter or the batteries. If you're getting two different readings at those places I will take a really dumb sounding guess and ask if there is a battery cutoff switch somewhere that was forgotten.

Stu
Stu & Jackie Metcalfe
2000 Salem 27FKSS
2008 Sierra 2500 HD gasser