cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PUP bed size...

Resoman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm shopping for a late model PUP to pull behind my 2011 Sienna w/ tow package. Most recently, I had a mid 90's Coleman Santa Fe which was about as minimal as a PUP can be, I would think, but it had one queen and one king bed. The trailers I've looked as this week were in the right price range (less than 10K) with the right features, but I never saw a king size bed offered. How rare is a king size bed in modern PUP's?
We like the king because my wife and I can sleep lengthwise and not have to climb over each other in the middle of the night; we use the empty bed for musical instrument storage.
Thanks,
Gary,
Elgin, TX
7 REPLIES 7

Ryanincc
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Coleman Sun Valley, and it has 2 king bunk ends in a 12 ft. box. Most, maybe all, of the Colemans 12 ft. and bigger have 2 kings.
2011 Coleman Sun Valley, 1997 4Runner V6

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is about box size. Look for twelve foot or longer box. Box length is often in the model number.

You almost always get a king and a queen (RV sizes, not actual household sizes) with a 14 foot box, and it can also be two kings.

A twelve foot box can just fit two kings, but more often it is a king and a queen. A lightweight 12-foot might be two queens or a king and a double.

A ten foot box can handle a king and a double, lightweights more often will have a queen and a double or full.

Get down to an 8 foot box, there is room full bed and a twin.

Issues are more than the space available to push in the beds. Larger beds are heavier, need heavier supports, and there is a matter of balance when the beds are occupied, whether there is enough leverage from axle to rear jacks to keep the weight on the rear bed from tipping the PUP or bending or burying the jacks.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2000 Santa Fe, which a pulled with a Sienna, BTW. We also had 2 kids. We finally traded it in for a bigger unit as the kids grew (and we had a better vehicle to pull it.) When the kids started college we looked to downsize. A king sized bed where you can sleep sideways so no one has to climb over anyone was non negotiable. We would have loved another Santa Fe, but they are no longer being made. Somerset (which bought out the plans and hired most of the Coleman staff) was not really producing. I hated the Jayco and Starcraft dealers nearby. We ended up with a 2417 Trailmanor. Very happy, and the bed is designed that way.

How tall are you? The coleman actually is set up for the sideways sleeping, but I am 5'4" and my husband is 5'9", so it worked for us to sleep the other way. If my husband had been much taller, it would not have been comfortable for him. Other than that, I think the Santa Fe is excellent for 2 people.

I think they got heavier as years went on, your Sienna will work, but you might have trouble on hills.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago our Starcraft had a queen and a king.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is quite obvious the RV QUEEN/KING Bed Sizes are different than house bed sizes.

This is my floor plan for the 2008 Starcraft 14RT OFF-ROAD Popup Camper.

The wife and I have to sleep laying in the 78-inch direction in both beds which does require crawling over each other to get in... These are both called QUEEN SIZE beds... I usually grab the rear of the bed as momabear likes to get up more than I do during the night...

The wrap around lounge seating also makes a third bed...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
Another factor to consider is the box size. It's hard to get two king size beds in 10' boxes. My 14' box has two kings with a gap in between them when closed up for travel. Look at 12' boxes to open up your options, but you're also looking at increased weight. It's all a balancing act.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
All the Jayco J Series have a king bed...

See Here...LINK
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro