cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing a Livin Lite proving to be a real pain rant.

Cairn_terrier
Explorer
Explorer
We have been looking for a Livin Lite, our first TT.

This has proved to be highly frustrating.

1. After 10' or so hours of research, I know more than most salesmen.

2. Dealers websites are horribly unreliable. 14 db on a website at $19600 shown with what I want actually is quoted at $21800.

3. One dealer said that cash or financing was not different to them, as they would price the unit the same. That it would be unfair to either to price it differently.

Which after thought, begged the question: so all your units you basically sell for the same price?

If yes, why not just post the price?

4. The MSRP vs actual selling price is just pure BS.

5. These guys make car salesman look like saints.

And. In closing, livin lites ..... We are dropping our desire to even buy one for a while as LIVIN LITES ARE JUST TOO EXPENSIVE.

Thanks for everyone's past help. We are done for a bit. Be well.
33 REPLIES 33

SJS1951
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted a used TT because I couldn't afford a new one. I looked and looked on line at a bunch of models and nothing really fit what I wanted (TT for camping now, a temp home when I move that I could be comfortable in with my 2 kitties and 1 dog). I saw a TT online at a nearby RV dealer, so I went to look at it. I liked it a lot and wanted to do a deal. I ended up dealing with the owner of the dealership. I explained that I was self-employed, so he knew I'd probably not get financing. So he agreed to a layaway plan with a deposit on the spot. I asked him what he could do for on the price, so he agreed to install a slide awning and an Equal-i-zer hitch. I also have several more things installed that I am buying and paying for installation. I am happy with my deal, just waiting for my invoices to be paid so I can bring home my TT.

I looked at a lot of different TTs, all sizes, all types of construction. This will be my 2nd camper, my first was an Aliner, which got me back into camping at an affordable price, and it was used also.

If the OP is still reading this thread, we all have hindsight advice to give, because we've all been there where you are now. We've learned by trial and error. Even with my used TT, there was probably more I could have gotten on the deal, maybe, but I am happy and the owner/dealer is happy. And that's what one wants when dealing. You can save more if you buy a new 2013 for more discount, if one you like is available. I don't think they make a bunch of Livin' Lites in advance, more to order like Casitas. I looked at Livin' Lites too, checked out website prices, and decided that it was too much for what I wanted to pay.

Don't give up too soon, and don't think that people here are rude and unhelpful. RVers are among the nicest, most helpful people around. Give it a chance, don't expect perfection, and do your homework. Look around for buyers' checklists too, for what you should look for when picking up your unit. I'm buying used and have already informed my dealer that I intend to check over my purchase with a fine toothed comb.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
We could start a new section called-

"Don't ask about!"

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:
Cairn terrier wrote:
Some interesting posts with good points. Some posts from basic jerks, thank you for your iq of 30 insight.

You may note that I said I was tabling this for a while .... So I may come back to this.

Do note that however since my first post, most everything I have posted comes back with at least some .... Unnecessary and rude and unwanted and unhelpful opinion.

This has been the most rude forum to which I have ever posted.

I am done. To you nicer folks, may the years treat you well.

Aren't those rude people just horrible? I once saw a person on here call people jerks and accuse them of having an IQ of 30. Can you imagine that?

and then that same person went to the ATC section of the forum and posted this tirade;
"Does this forum contain an unusually high percent of people who are rude and unhelpful,or was it just my luck? I'm going with the first choice."
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cairn terrier wrote:
Some interesting posts with good points. Some posts from basic jerks, thank you for your iq of 30 insight.

You may note that I said I was tabling this for a while .... So I may come back to this.

Do note that however since my first post, most everything I have posted comes back with at least some .... Unnecessary and rude and unwanted and unhelpful opinion.

Aren't those rude people just horrible? I once saw a person on here call people jerks and accuse them of having an IQ of 30. Can you imagine that?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
Cairn terrier wrote:

...This has been the most rude forum to which I have ever posted.

I guess "rude" is what we are called when we tell you something you don't want to hear.

Some people only want endorsement of their own ideas, not discussion.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
Nonsense. Rving doesn't have to be expensive, it is a family activity, and everyone has the right and the opportunity to participate. It isn't an elite group of people.

As to the OP, I can understand your frustration. Keep looking and I am sure you will find what you are looking for.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Many good points in this thread indeed, but the OP does have a point regarding the tone of these fora ... many folks' post are not always constructive or conducive to good debate. To wit are the tire, truck make, antenna, awning topper, extended warranty, towing, etc. threads that bring out the "best" in some people. Not very welcoming to a newcomer. If the person appears to have an agenda or is trolling or whatever, just hitting the next button or even blocking the person is better than spewing vitriol.

Contrast this with, for example, the Forest River forums which seem to have some spirited discourse but no acrimony.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cairn terrier wrote:

:R :h

OK, slam the manufacture then slam the folks who are attempting to give you some insight to YOUR assumptions and mistakes..

Yep, the truth can often backfire and ruffle some feathers, thats for sure..

YOU picked an "exotic" manufacture with "exotic" materials and wanted it for used car prices.. Just not gonna happen..

All aluminum trailers SELL AT PREMIUM PRICES, a lot of this is due to COST OF MATERIALS (aluminum if you have not noticed is considerably more expensive than steel and wood trailers).

COST OF LABOR (do you understand that building a all aluminum trailer REQUIRES LABORERS WITH WELDING SKILLS and that doesn't come cheap!).

May take LONGER TO BUILD (if studs are welded that takes a lot more time than wood construction).

Cool "yuppy green feel good appeal".. Typically costs more.

There is a myth that a all aluminum trailer is better or will last longer than a wood stick trailer. Not necessarily true! As long as the stick trailer is kept leak free (periodically check the caulking and replace when needed) it can last just as long as a all aluminum trailer. Not to mention trailers like Airstreams CAN AND DO LEAK causing considerable interior damage so even other all aluminum trailers can suffer water damage.

Perhaps instead of going away mad, you could shed some light on just WHY you picked nearly the most expensive trailer?

Was it weight?

Looks?

Floor plan?

Construction type?

Yuppy green appeal?

Ect?

Your HONEST answers will go a long way into finding a trailer which will meet and perhaps exceed your expectations while staying within your budget..

uintafly
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like the OP may be gone anyway so this is falling on deaf ears. But you can actually work a better deal by allowing the dealer to finance the loan through one of their partners. If fact, the last 2 cars I purchased as well as the trailer ended up saving me some cash this way. The banks or credit unions pay the dealer a flat to get the loan - as much as $1,200 in some cases and pretty much never less than $350. The whole time you are there ONLY negotiate price and say you already have your loan lined up. Then at signing time, offer to let them process the loan through their indirect lending services if they further reduce the price $200. If you are talking to a dedicated financial guy I can almost guarantee you they will do it, as he gets a nice % of the flat.
2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax
2014 Shadow Cruiser 260BHS

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Cairn terrier wrote:

I guess "rude" is what we are called when we tell you something you don't want to hear......

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Aw heck, OP....you think this was bad....come hang out for a while in a thread discussing tires .....:E :B

Cairn_terrier
Explorer
Explorer

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like sour grapes to me. The OP realized their dream trailer was beyond reach so they find fault with the brand. Sounds just like the fox that couldn't reach the grapes on the vine.

The Fox and the Grapes.

RVing is expensive, if you cannot afford the entry fee you are better off staying home.

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
When shopping for a travel trailer, I found it best to find several models that meet your needs. With that, you can seek out several dealers and negotiate the most favorable out the door price for you. MSRP's mean nothing. The out the door price is what counts.

When you are set on one model, you severely limit your ability to negotiate.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up