cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchasing a truck camper dilemma

ajcc
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm currently looking at trading in my TT for a truck camper as we don't enjoy the TT as much as we thought we were going to.

The issue I'm running into though is my truck (2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali) has a max payload of 2249 lbs, and by my calculations, the Lance 650 would put us over by ~300 lbs. I tried looking for a truck camper that could fit within the max payload, but I haven't been able to find too much.

I'm debating if I should trade in my truck for a 1 ton possibly drw and dramatically increase the max payload, use the Lance 650 with my current truck, or try to search for something light enough to fit the payload rating.

My truck is currently my daily driver, so I'm not sure how daily driving a drw would be however I do live out in the sticks, and I don't drive anywhere but to work and back really.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
35 REPLIES 35

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
Welp we've come full circle. You now have people telling you that you're better off towing a 34' trailer, every day, to hell and gone, not stopping at the same place for more than a night, as you said you were intending to do.

This has proven that it's mostly opinion and conjecture and the only opinion that matters is your own. Good luck camper shoppin buddy. And better luck camping!!! Have fun.

Funny how some people blindly respond to the exact question even if they see a flaw in the question.

Yes, it's the OP's opinion that counts but he's coming here for advice because he's doing something new...when doing something new, you often don't even know what questions to ask.

PS: I didn't see anyone suggesting a 34' trailer.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Edit "is" made for. Not a Christmas story.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
To Kaytegs point, if loading a camper is a challenge, then it might not be your sport....
However I'm not certain the OP feels this is part of the equation or challenge.
But my point was, the most desirable option is the one you feel meets your needs the best.
And objectively, 2 people, on the go, different view out the window each morning = something that is relatively self contained and easy to maneuver with minimal setup and tear down. TC or some form of motorhome is what this type of travel tis made for.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
When Grit dog has some points, not everything in this life is matter of the opinion. Very often it is matter of skills.
When loading TC is high-ranked skill, especially when it comes to 4000 lb units, having truck with rear camera makes hooking up a trailer child's play.
Many, many variables that we can imagine, but in real life, we simply don't know.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Welp we've come full circle. You now have people telling you that you're better off towing a 34' trailer, every day, to hell and gone, not stopping at the same place for more than a night, as you said you were intending to do.

This has proven that it's mostly opinion and conjecture and the only opinion that matters is your own. Good luck camper shoppin buddy. And better luck camping!!! Have fun.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A TC is just like a TT except harder to load, too small, and makes your truck top heavy. If you don't like a TT, what makes your think you are going to fall in love with a TC?

ajcc
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

I think you are throwing the baby out with the bath water. A smaller TT or 5er will tow much easier but provide a lot more living space. (alternatively a small Class C could work but then you get into the question of TOADs)

Have you done extended travels before? Lots of new full timers get frustrated because they are constantly on the move and it gets tiring...after a few months they give up if they don't slow down.

We have done a few extended stays and we did use the truck to drive around a bit to go sightseeing which is a concern with the TC.

We haven't looked at the Lance in person yet since it's a few hours south. The final decision really relies on the up coming trip to the dealership. If we think it's too small then a smaller 5th wheel (something like the escape) will most definitely pop into the picture.

A year ago we did look at a short Jayco fifth wheel, I believe it was the 25.5 reok and we didn't see much issues with it but I wasn't truly looking at the time.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
ajcc wrote:
There are a few things with the TT I ended up not liking.
- Went too long, 34 Ft (should have probably gone with a 5th wheel at that point)
- I don't enjoy how it feels on the road, was used to our gooseneck horse trailer
- My grandparents are planning on going out west (Montana, Wyoming, etc.) They'll be staying at campsites for only a night as they mostly enjoy sightseeing. I feel like the TT would be a burden compared to a TC.

We also want to explore the US and Canada, and we don't plan at staying at one campsite for an extended period, we'll only stay to rest for a night before continuing on.
We're also considering tent camping either RTT or something like the REI Kingdom.

I don't mind the TT if we're staying at a campsite for an extended period but we're not doing that currently.

I think you are throwing the baby out with the bath water. A smaller TT or 5er will tow much easier but provide a lot more living space. (alternatively a small Class C could work but then you get into the question of TOADs)

Have you done extended travels before? Lots of new full timers get frustrated because they are constantly on the move and it gets tiring...after a few months they give up if they don't slow down.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

zcookiemonstar
Explorer
Explorer
Have you actually looked at a Lance 650? Don't just look at the pictures. They look a lot bigger in pictures. You need to actually get inside with the all the people you plan to travel with. Sit down, lay on the bed, have the cook get in the kitchen with the other people there. Make sure the bathroom works for you go in there sit down close the door. There are many layouts for campers get inside them see what will work best then decide what you need for a truck. Don't just buy what you think will work for your truck. The camper has to work for you and once you buy it you can't return it it will cost you a lot of money.

deserteagle56
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too was hesitant about the size of a dually. Now that I've driven one for several years it doesn't bother me at all running mine around town doing errands. And mine is a 6 speed manual! Keep in mind that on a SRW the mirrors are the widest part of the truck...on a dually those rear fenders are about the width of the mirrors on your SRW cab so if the front fits the rear will too! I find the length (mine is a crew cab with an 8' bed) more of a limitation than the width - it is longer than most marked parking spots. If I can I make sure I park where I can drive forward when leaving because if there are vehicles close on either side I find I can't back up far enough to turn and drive away without running into the cars parked behind me.
1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
...... I’ve got the LIGHTEST Arctic Fox (865) on a 2019 GMC 3500 D/A Dually and I’m over GVWR by almost 1500#....... Go with the Dually..... Added a Hellwig Big Wig and I don’t know the camper is back there & handles REAL Good.... Or spend money on upgrades & then wish you’d have gotten a Dually...... I read several articles about folks spending bunches of money on upgrades & later after owning a Dually wish they had done it sooner.... I’m a HAPPY TC CAMPER.....( We’re fulltimers )

ajcc
Explorer
Explorer
guidry wrote:
It wouldn’t cost much to add another leaf spring to your rear axles.

I only know the basics when it comes to vehicles. If I were too add an extra spring would that increase my payload capacity? So far from some messages I've received it sounds like I need to do the following,
Add a leaf spring and/or(?) airbags.
Add a sway bar
Ensure tires and wheels are rated properly, upgrade if not.
Make sure I don't go over the axel limit, I'm guessing theres no fix for this other than a different truck.

I have a buddy who can help guide me when it comes to what I need to upgrade, so I plan on picking his brain a bit.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
It wouldn’t cost much to add another leaf spring to your rear axles.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
All three of my TC/truck combos over the last 15 years have been over the GVWR of the truck by 700 pounds, 1,200 pounds, and 1,700 pounds. They have not been over axle or tire ratings. I've enjoyed thousands of trouble free miles of travel. The sticker in the glove box assumes you have a 150 pound person in every seat position in the truck. That's why it's lower than the door sticker.
RVers seem to be the only truck using segment that worry so much about GVWR (for better or worse). Farmers, ranchers, hot-shot truckers, contractors, and TC owners routinely run their trucks over the GVWR as a matter of course. Last time I was loaded heavy with my 2005 Chevy dually work truck headed for a job site I decided to weigh the truck and trailer. I had about 12,600 pounds on the truck (GVWR is 11,400). It handled my flatbed with skid steer and attachments over several mountains to the job site and back multiple times. I've got 248,000 miles on the truck and most of it's life it has been over GVWR. It's been the most dependable, reliable vehicle I've ever owned.
300 pounds? Please.