cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting some glide in the ride….

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
Fellow Avionistas, Argo and I have been cruising around the west recently in pursuit of the wily trout. Annie was in the back yesterday as we rolled along and remarked on how bouncy and noisy it is back there. Let me ask your opinions about the bouncy part.

I have Airlift 5000s on the rear, but still with factory shocks. I usually run the Airlifts at 80 or 90 pounds. Argo weighs about 2500 pounds. Truck and all is 7700. I feel he handles pretty well. Some lean on curves but nothing alarming or unusual. He feels solid.
My question is how have you maximized the comfort in your suspension? Smoothing out the bumps and lurches on uneven roads.

As always, thanks for your opinions.

How about Muley Point in ‘22?

Dick
9 REPLIES 9

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not sure which type of truck you have, but setting the air pressure of your bags, here is what some of us do.
Camper off, measure the distance from the ground to the wheel well center.
Load the camper with everything you want in it fully wet and put it on the truck if it is not on already..hahahaa
Measure the distance and put enough air to raise the rear of the truck, ground to wheel well back to what you measured and that is it.

My truck is a 94 f250 460 gasser crew cab. My camper weights, fully wet and loaded 4200lbs
My bags only need 40psi to bring the bed back to unloaded height.
My bags are AirLifts.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Aaaand 3 weeks later, the author of the somewhat cryptic question has not been back to participate...

Maybe he let 50psi out of the airbags and the ride improved?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ticki2 wrote:
When sitting in the truck seats you are between the front and rear axles which give the best ride . When in the camper while driving you are close to being directly over the rear axle which will be the roughest ride . Same as on a boat .

Yep, and that’s why cabover trucks like the Isuzus really suck to drive!
Most are owned by someone other than the guy who drives it…
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
When sitting in the truck seats you are between the front and rear axles which give the best ride . When in the camper while driving you are close to being directly over the rear axle which will be the roughest ride . Same as on a boat .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
You might consider researching/adding 'ping' tanks to your air system. Older thread that motivated me 10 years ago. https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25534281.cfm
They increase the compressible volume without affecting the support. Though I've never been in camper, on the road driving, night & day difference in response to road conditions.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Normally people don't ride in the camper, so ride quality back there is not a concern.

But it sounds like you've got your rear end propped up to the point where there is no "give" to deal with a serious overloaded condition.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
So you have an unspecified half ton truck hauling a 2500lb TC.
Have to be if your truck only weighs 5200lbs. Or maybe it’s a classic 3/4ton….or your weights are off. Or you me at truck weighs 7700…..

Anyways 80-90psi in 5000psi bags is 4000-4500lbs of “support” or lifting force.
Numbers don’t add up, or you have the back of the truck jacked up with the bags taking all the weight plus some.

So aside from that part making absolutely no sense. Your 1 year to 50 year old shocks (since we don’t know the truck) could be shot. Although shocks do little to nothing to control lean or body roll. They only control the rebound of it.
Sway bar will help control lean/body roll.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Good aftermarket shocks can help, but the only way to substantially affect the ride is to swap out the springs for air suspension.

Air bag assists in some cases make the ride worse, as due to the very limited height of the bag it makes the effective spring rate stiffer.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II
What truck do you have? Each brand has their own suggestions for better ride or carrying characteristics.

On my GMC 2500, lower StableLoads were the best investment. A big Wig Sway Bar really helped with side to side sway and driving in strong sidewinds. Finally Timbrens helped while trailering as they don't touch or just barely touch under normal camper load. Air bags can/will add bounce if inflated enough to raise your truck off the suspension load. They are probably causing what your wife is feeling.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded