cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting the kids on the floor???

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
We've really enjoyed our 15BH. It's tiny, and we haven't minded. Local weekends and short trips are fine. It was a little cramped for our 42 day trip this past summer, but not miserable.

That said, we are ready to move up a bit in size. We really like the 22RB models with U dinette slide-out.

I feel like the bunks have more cons than pros. First, the kids are growing like weeds and already touch the walls head to toe (they're only 10). Second, the bunks are wasted space when not sleeping, and in a smallish trailer, that's a large portion of real estate. Lastly, as the kids get older, they like sleeping on the couch and floor, even when home.

So here's the question: What do you think about a family of 4 buying a trailer with no beds for kids? I'm thinking that with a slide out dinette, there is enough floor space for kids in sleeping bags. If the weather is ideal, they might even be in a tent. We could always fall back on converting the dinette if they had to have it.

Why? because the floor-plans have such better living space without bunks, and I can see that we're 7-8 years from not having the kids all the time.

Anyone out there putting the kids on the floor? How's it working for you?
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!
62 REPLIES 62

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe you could split the difference and let the kids have the bed and you sleep on the floor. When the grow up and don't travel with you then you get the bed.

Heap64
Explorer
Explorer
My wife used to sleep in the trunk of their car camping! I think they will live on the floor or in their own tent.

We had 5 in a truck camper and a bench seat truck camper all the way to Alaska in '79. We probably couldn't get across the border that way now 🙂
James & Kim from Central Illinois
2012 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 6.7, ARE Topper and Decked Draw System
2013 Arctic Fox 25Y (1250lb tongue weight with mods)
Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500 w/Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We originally looked at bunkhouse units but decided, along with the kids, that we wanted more daytime space. Our kids 15 and 17 either sleep on the floor or pull the bed out of the couch. If you're concerned about them having privacy they can go outside.

Its nice to have the extra room and everyone not cramped on a rainy day. Our kids each have a cabinet in the living room for their stuff.

Good luck
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

craiger4
Explorer
Explorer
I have a family of 6, and when they were kids, they loved sleeping on the floor.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kids belong on the floor. They should also be seen and not heard. At least that's what my English mother told me when I was a kid. Can you see where I'm coming from LOL?
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
As soon as our kids were old enough to fend off the wild animals, they were out in the tents that they loved and preferred. Still can't understand the desire for bunks.

Steeljag
Explorer
Explorer
Tent and or truck bed with topper. TT floor with matting or air mattress during bad weather!
2018 Forester 3011DS
2010 Flagstaff 26RLS (Sold)
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
1930 CCC
Going where the weather suits my clothes !

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Only you can guess at whether or not it will work to have the kids on the floor. Others here would say our small trailer couldn't possibly work for a family of 5 - yet it does, and has, for many years now.

Things to consider that could make this problematic (or not):
1. The floor can be cold, not just in cold weather but also in hot weather if you run the AC. (Trailers are not well insulated and there can be a temperature differential between the floor and the thermostat.)
2. The kids could prevent you from being able to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night without tripping over them.
3. The kids might find the floor hard/uncomfortable and complain, or worse, wake up a lot during the night, or worse yet, insist on climbing into bed with you in the middle of the night.

Other options would be a hybrid trailer or a tent. If needed, an air mattress and weather-appropriate sleeping bags can make the tent pretty comfortable, and it could be appealing to them as "their own space".
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I see you have a topper on the truck you could always put a couple of kids there. A lot of kids as they get older don't want to camp with there parents. A tent would work and you both would have your privacy.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever works for your family. Our 19 year old still camps with us and he has his own room, his mattress is on the floor though. My wife's rule is to have enough beds without needing to use the couch or table as she does not want the set up and takedown. I would not want to be tripping over kids if I was up in the middle of the night or if they did not wake up as early as I did, but that is me. Good luck.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
bet the kids would like a tent.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
As kids, we slept in "pup tents", on the floor, on the ground on tarps with NO tent. 🙂 We thought that was a LOT better than sleeping ANYWHERE near our folks...LOL LOL Nowadays, I'm not sure I'd like my kids outside......so many things go wrong nowadays. We're at an RV park now that says no outside tents. 😞 But I'd ask your kids!!!!! Maybe they have an opinion. There is also the issue with a kid wanting to sleep in.....and being in the way for other to LIVE.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
First off there are lots of rv's with bunks 78" long, so good for kids and adults. I wouldn't be abandoning bunks until the kids weren't coming as often, or sleeping in tents instead. Bunks can carry tupperware bins, pantry items, bikes etc....so never wasted space. Just my .02 as someone who finally sold his bunkhouse as our kids reached 18 and 20 and camp less. Even now we made sure the hide-a-bed was comfy for when they come.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

geotex1
Explorer
Explorer
Ask yourself how long will you be in this camper. Until the last few years, average ownership was 8-10 years max.

I have 4 godchildren that camp with me each summer for 1 to 2 weeks. My wife and I went from a camper that could sleep 8 when needed to one that sleeps 4 between the bedroom and sleeper sofa. I asked the children when my wife and I were shopping about how they'd like to have their own tent during our adventures. THEY LOVED THAT IDEA! Problem solved.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
buy a TT with a sofa bed and the dinette will also sleep two if necessary.