cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about 6.4 Hemi

tsbelue
Explorer
Explorer
I am considering trading my 2001 CTD for a new Ram 2500 4x4 and wanted to get some feedback from people who tow about 12K with them.
I tow less than 1000 miles a year with the camper and in 12 years I have only put 90k miles on the truck. I know the gas engine want be as efficient or have the same torque but I am not living in high elevation either. Please include MPG, loaded and unloaded plus any likes or dislikes about how it handled the load.
14 REPLIES 14

tsbelue
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys, I guess it would be a let down to go back to a gas burner cause my truck has been built proofed and it pulls the camper like there is no tomorrow.
I am pushing 425 hp with my diesel so it can gain speed on any grade. Well that solves my buying decision, can afford a brand new diesel so I guess a nice used Cummins is in my future. My son in laws parents own the local diesel shop so I get awsome cheap service. Thanks for all the information you folks are great!

nirion
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 6.4 Hemi with 4.10s. My 5th wheel is about that size. I have a new Cummins on order. I would compare the power to my old 03 standard output Cummins (250hp/460 lb-ft), but it revs a lot higher to make the power.

As a daily driver, I get about 13mpg with a 50 mile round trip commute that is mostly freeway. Towing from OH to FL, I got 7mpg. I could maintain speed on the grades, but was in 2nd gear.

The 6.4 is very capable, but I prefer the low end torque and power of the diesel.
2016 Ram 3500 SRW Big Horn CC LB 4x4, Cummins Turbo Diesel, Maximum Steel
2015 Sprinter 324FWBHS
2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn CC LB 4x4, Hemi 6.4, 4.10 - SOLD

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
With the few miles you tow annually, I do not see the issue.

mowin
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
tsbelue wrote:
I only get 10-12mpg towing and up to 17 unloaded with my 5.9 CTD but it has the 4.10 gears. It is the 235hp standard output. I dont expect it to get diesel mileage, that's not realistic. I would get a 6.4 with the 4.10 gears so it would tow the best. I work for Toyota here at the Tundra engine plant. The mpg for the hemi is not that different from the 5.7 Tundra engine. If my camper was lighter I would buy a Tundra cause they are good and that's where I get my pay check. I like the Ram and I think it fills my needs but just wanted to hear from you guys that have already tried towing with them. Thanks and keep sending your thoughts.

Just read your profile! You will not be happy with a 6.4, you are likely over 300 hp and about 650 lb. ft. If you were stock the 6.4 would be an improvement, but the towing beast you have it will be a let down.

I totally disagree. I'm towing a 11k 5er with my 3500 SRW 6.4 and 3:73 gears. This truck handles the load great. Does it pull like my 07 dmax? No, but it's more than capable, and no slouch.

To the OP. You stated you only put 1000mi or so a yr, and your not in the hills. The 6.4 will serve you well. I'm in upstate NY, and have our share of hill and mts. I'm loving the 6.4.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Search "TFL Truck towing 6.4 Hemi", and you'll find an informative video. Keep in mind, they are towing near limits up a steep incline at high altitude.

While I cannot personally comment on towing with 6.4, I researched it a fair amount and spent some time on the Hemi forum and there many people towing big weights with no problems.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

tsbelue
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone on this form have a 6.4 with the 4.10 gears and how does it tow?

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
tsbelue wrote:
I only get 10-12mpg towing and up to 17 unloaded with my 5.9 CTD but it has the 4.10 gears. It is the 235hp standard output. I dont expect it to get diesel mileage, that's not realistic. I would get a 6.4 with the 4.10 gears so it would tow the best. I work for Toyota here at the Tundra engine plant. The mpg for the hemi is not that different from the 5.7 Tundra engine. If my camper was lighter I would buy a Tundra cause they are good and that's where I get my pay check. I like the Ram and I think it fills my needs but just wanted to hear from you guys that have already tried towing with them. Thanks and keep sending your thoughts.

Just read your profile! You will not be happy with a 6.4, you are likely over 300 hp and about 650 lb. ft. If you were stock the 6.4 would be an improvement, but the towing beast you have it will be a let down.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

tsbelue
Explorer
Explorer

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
We just traded in our 2012 Mega Cab 5.7 with 26,500 on it. It was strictly for towing our trailer or say weekend trips. Other than that it pretty much sat in our garage.

When we first bought it around the city driving was around 9mpg. Highway I could get 11-12 out of it.
Towing the travel trailer at 8500lbs was around 7-8.

After the first year I put a cold air intake on a Flow Master exhaust and then added the bully dog system and tuned it for towing. Did much better and as time went on the mileage starting going up.
We drove just the truck to Maine and was about to get 18 mpg out of it.
We stuck our 33' ATV trailer on with 2 machines and a full 40 gallon gas tank on the trailer and got 16 to upper New Hampshire.

We traded our TT for a 11,000lb 5th wheel our last trip with the truck was to mid Pennsylvania and was able to pull 11-12 out of it between 60-65 mph.
The way home I was able to get 10-11mpg.

I know it's not the engine you were asking about but giving you some information that I do have.

We recently upgraded to the Cummins and a 3500.

Hope it helps you out some.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
You may be surprised. A 6.4 Hemi may have pretty close to the same torque as your 01 CTD. Depends if you have a HO.
But, you will have a lot more HP which will probably feel like the Hemi has more power.
Now, compare it to a 13-16 CTD, not even close.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
10,500# fiver with the 3.73 axles - it does fine but a diesel really would be better. Mine is my daily driver 98% of the time and towing 2% so I'm fine with it. My MPG are pretty identical to what Drittal posted. Stop and go city driving kills the MPGs. As does flying down the highway over 65.

At 10,500# I feel as though I'm pretty close to maxed out. The 4.10 gears would help. Doing a gear swap to the 4.56 would really make this thing a towing beast. But again, I'm fine with my setup. The 12K you are proposing? That's getting up there but still within the theoretical capabilities of the truck.

It really is all relative. 20 years ago you'd be laughed at for suggesting a 2500 series truck could even dream of towing a 12K trailer while getting anywhere near the MPGs the 6.4 Hemi gets. Overall, this truck is outstanding.

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
It'll take a bit of work, but if you search this forum for "ib516", you'll find a fair number of posts by him. He's towed in that weight range with the 6.4L.

He also put up a video on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji9I_hmZ88Y

I don't know if he hangs around here anymore (life gets in the way sometimes), but he is/was a great resource for towing with the 6.4L.

I like my 6.4L a lot, but I don't tow up in the weight range you're looking at, so I can't help you much.
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

drittal
Explorer
Explorer
I wish I had definite answers for you.

MPG depends a lot on driver habits. Mine is out family truckster. If I get in after my wife the Avg. Begins to rise. As soon as she gets in the driver seat it drops fast.

Here are my indicated MPG.
Towing 11,000 TT @ 62 = 7-8
Empty at 65, 19.5
Empty at 72, 17.5
Empty at 80, 13.5
My wife gets about 12.5 city.

Tows fine, hold out for 4.10 rear axle ratio. It has tall 1st and 2nd gears.

If you expect it to tow 12,000lbs like your cummins, you will be greatly disappointed. No grunting along at 2,000 rpm. You will see 3k, 4k, and even 5k at times. It will downshift, a lot.

Is a gas powered truck right for you? Only you can answer that.

tsbelue
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking for info on the 6.4 Hemi but I forgot to include that in the first message.