cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Black Tanks and full timing

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of an odd question, but I was talking to someone in Walmart who had commented on the black tank chem treatment that I was buying. He said that since he is a full timer (working oil fields and staying in a TT), he never uses any black tank treatment and keeps his black and grey valves open and connected to the sewer.

Is this proper? I thought I had been told that you should only open the black valve when dumping the tank (when full), but should normally have some kind of treatment in the tank until it's full (which is what I do).

Just curious!
26 REPLIES 26

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
Houston Remodeler wrote:
Round these parts those giant roaches live in the sewers. They can easily walk up the pipe, past an open valve and waltz into the RV. Nasty looking critters.

We keep both our valves closed until ready to dump. Isn't that what the buttons on the control panel are for? To keep an eye on the levels?

That is the safest way. Besides, the tanks are made to be used with the valve closed.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I open the dump valves is when I dump.I only use baking soda between dumps.There has been a few times when I have added powdered bleach to the grey tank between flushes.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
samhain7 wrote:
My tank flush also says the tank valve has to be open when flushing....why?

For the obvious reasons listed above AND spraying water into a full tank of water does nothing to clean the tank. You want to spray onto what you're cleaning for it to work properly.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
samhain7 wrote:

Water hose connected..water flowing into black tank thru flush sprayer and drain valve closed........

'Howdy neighbor I was looking at your truck...nice when did you get it, how do you like it, that motor really strong, I was thinking about getting one, what kind of mileage yada, yada, yada.......
OH MY WHY IS BROWN FLUID SPEWING OUT OF THE TOP OF YOUR RIG
AH IT STINKS....YUK! Sure am glad that isn't my rig. WHEW gotta go!"
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
samhain7 wrote:

They don't want you to forget and overflow it. I leave it shut, then walk inside and stare at the sensor monitors until it reads full. I will not let myself get sidetracked 🙂

Before I let the black out, I fill it through the flush inlet to all the way full, then let it out with the water still running, until it runs clear.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
To each their own but FWIW we always keep both grey and black valves shut. We let the black fill up to almost full using plenty of water when not stretching out our time if boon docking, we also let the grey fill as close to full as possible. This ensures us a good gush out black first followed by grey, we also tend every second or third dump, depending on time between do a black rinse and refill if available the grey tank to about two thirds and flush out again.

We use chemicals sometimes but not all the time, and also place a double rinse of the bottle used in the black tank down the grey pipes to prevent any small odour. However, we don't use chemicals all the time if we know we will have plenty of water for flushing, filling the bowl well to form a seal when flushing. Although we do use chemical sometimes, we agree with others that they are not necessary if tanks are thoroughly cleaned at start and enough water available for every use of the vitrine.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
A. Open the toilet valve and look down with a flashlight.

B. Insist on a cleaning by All Pro Water Flo. They will,power wash your tanks.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

tenhorsun
Explorer
Explorer
hawkeye-08 wrote:
it was bad enough the previous owners of our trailer left a rock hard pyramid that took lots of water and several trips to get cleaned out.

Ack! We're looking to buy used. Now I'm nervous. Is there a way to check on something like this before buying?
--Newbie from Montana--

ECones
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't you run an additional risk of odor by leaving the black tank valve open? Press that pedal to flush, and there's an open line to the sewer system. And heaven forbid if the bathroom vent happens to be running.

The sinks and shower have P-traps to seal against sewer gases -- not so on the toilet.

I'm still a relative beginner, but it would seem that would be the case.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
If we had critters crawling up the sewer hose, then I probably would keep it closed, but I haven't had that problem. Like almost everything on this forum, different areas require different measures and one shoe doesn't fit all. What works here in the mountains of Idaho might not work elsewhere and visa versa.

RV camping is basically trial and error until you find what works best for you and your needs.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
Round these parts those giant roaches live in the sewers. They can easily walk up the pipe, past an open valve and waltz into the RV. Nasty looking critters.

We keep both our valves closed until ready to dump. Isn't that what the buttons on the control panel are for? To keep an eye on the levels?
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
As I said, never an issue for us and how we use the toilet. Once it's out of the tank into the hose, then all the water flushes it the rest of the way. Shower /sink etc. I keep a gallon jug of water in the bathroom for extra flush power if needed!

One less thing to freeze up in the winter with both valves open and a good slope.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
I leave my black tank valve open when I'm hooked up and staying for a while. Haven't had a poop pile yet. Use plenty of water and you won't get the dreaded poop pile.

Even if it gets out of the tank cleanly, I just can't see it washing down the hose without serious pressure. Maybe if you have a smooth pipe directly from the toilet into the sewer, but not with a tank and a corrugated pipe.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan