cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about the older diesel's

RR24
Explorer
Explorer
My question about the older diesel's is mainly the 5.9 dodge and the ford 7.3, these are a lot louder than the newer diesel. Is there anyway to make them quieter without hurting performance. I mean the dodge sounds like a john deer tractor;)
2008 Ford F250 4x4 CC V10
2005 Jazz 5th wheel 2760RL
57 REPLIES 57

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
You really can't make them any more quiet.
Don't lump all 5.9's together though. The Common rail engines (03~07) were much more quiet (unless someone screws with them) than the older mechanically injected models.

X2
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

allygerry
Explorer
Explorer
Our first diesel pickup was a 1987 ford 6.9 now when you started on cold mornings you thought the engine was going to self destruct. Now that was noisy. Then got a 98 Dodge 5.9 and that was quieter or it seemed after driving the Ford for 189.000 miles. Probably from hearing loss,only had the 5.9 for 70,000 miles traded for 2003 early model with 7.3 much quieter than the 5.9 Dodge. Loved every one of the engines. However the truck with the least problems and most reliable for us is the 2003 Ford. Liked the Cummins 5.9 but after three transmission failures time to get rid of that problem. Nothing like the sound of a diesel rolling down the highway it makes one smile when pulling a heavy trailor.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
PartyMarty wrote:
bose headphones , about $ 100 at Costco , plugged into your ipod .
I have about 400 smooth jazz songs on my ipod at a cost of $ .99 each .
I forget how much the ipod cost .
my 2002 duramax is quiet enough without .
I use the smooth jazz to keep me from speeding .
I just want to go faster without the calming music.
I only use the headphones intermittintly .
the outside sounds are blocked out pretty well .
Bet you are one of those that can't hear sirens of emergency vehicles coming at you.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

PartyMarty
Explorer
Explorer
bose headphones , about $ 100 at Costco , plugged into your ipod .
I have about 400 smooth jazz songs on my ipod at a cost of $ .99 each .
I forget how much the ipod cost .
my 2002 duramax is quiet enough without .
I use the smooth jazz to keep me from speeding .
I just want to go faster without the calming music.
I only use the headphones intermittintly .
the outside sounds are blocked out pretty well .

TECMike
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta love my old 2002 7.3. It is the sound of freedom when me and my wife hook up our trailer for an adventure.

Every time some guys in their cars pulls up next me to with with their high amps electronics cracking and shaking the street's pavement, they roll up their windows. Go figure.

I think my old 7.3 engine is somehow disrupting their sound waves or something. I love it!

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
BeerCan wrote:
Yeah, I like the sound of my 7.3 for about 2 minutes. Then I realize I can't hear a word my passenger is saying. Sometimes that's a good thing ๐Ÿ˜‰

HUH???? I can't here you......and my 5.9 has gotten quieter over the years too....LOL
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

BeerCan
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, I like the sound of my 7.3 for about 2 minutes. Then I realize I can't hear a word my passenger is saying. Sometimes that's a good thing ๐Ÿ˜‰

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
cwboyscooby wrote:
The two best diesels ever built... you get used to the sound and learn to love it.

You can quiet them down a bit by running a good synthetic, but not really noticeable. It's the injectors that are so noisy.

You may go deaf and get used to it but what about everybody else in the campground. Even though I owned two 5.9's I have never been a fan of them, in fact I was much happier with my '93 GM which had what was probably one of the most unreliable diesel engines ever produced.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
A pre 99 7.3 is louder than 99 and later because they do not have a inter cooler. Guess you could add one to the older ones and up the HP. Recently asked a guy with 39 years with Ford if The newest PSD,s were any good and he said NO... Not that I wanted to get rid of my 02 7.3 PSD.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
there used to be a company who made sound blankets for the cummins they blanketed the top and bottom and the hood. Their main thing was industrial and marine stuff but I can't remember the name if they are even still in business.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
amxpress wrote:
They are really loud when compared to the newer diesels.

They certainly are compared to the new Global diesels, you can barely hear them.

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
It's a DIESEL! The Cummins has 24 valves making 6 cylinders make beautiful noise. If the noise trouble you, step up to the plate, open your wallet realllllly wide and pony up for a new(er) common rail.

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a newer quiet diesel which is nice but then I have to listen to the wife ๐Ÿ™‚ Like I always say, life is a series of trade-offs ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

rightyouareken
Explorer
Explorer
I sometimes take the bus to work and standing there at the bus stop occasionally this older f150 goes by. I assume its a 7.3. Leaving from the light, its louder than most of the semi trucks. What a racket! Good engine from what I hear, but man you're assaulting passers bys' ears.
2012 Ford F150 FX4 5.0 3.73 SuperCrew Short Bed
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS, Equal-i-zer 1k hitch

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
You really can't make them any more quiet.
Don't lump all 5.9's together though. The Common rail engines (03~07) were much more quiet (unless someone screws with them) than the older mechanically injected models.