cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for diesel owners

1handyhubby
Explorer
Explorer
I need your help folks. My Ford F250 just doesn't have enough power to haul our camper long distances so we're looking at a 2005 F350 duelly with a 6.0. I know zip about diesels so here are a couple of questions for y'all. I only put about 3,000 miles a year on our truck now, so how often would I have to change oil, filters etc? I've been told there are diesel fuels for 2005 and earlier and diesel fuel for 2006 and up and I should get a 2005 beacause that fuel is easier to find. Any truth to this? We will be driving to Alaska in 2017 so I don't want any issues on finding fuel. Lastly, most diesel folks say they will never go back to gas, anyone want to weigh in on this? I originally was trying to find a F350 duelly with a V10 but because we eventually want to get a camper with a slide out we've been told we should get a diesel. Thanks in advance.
2001 F350 Lariat V10 DRW 4x4,4.30 rear, Rancho 9000's,
Ride Rite air bags w/onboard compressor, Tork Lifts, Fastguns,
2013 Host Mammoth Happy Happy Wife!
73 REPLIES 73

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
Love my diesel but 1 thing to remember with all diesels, everything cost more, repairs are not inexpensive. But I wouldn't go back to gas as long as I'm pulling and carrying a RV.
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you're new to diesels, can I recommend you spend some time on the forums supporting the respective manufacturers? That's what I did when I was making my first diesel purchase and ended up with my Duramax, which I'm very happy with. Unfortunately, I don't remember the name of the corresponding Ram and Ford forums but a good one to read up on people experiences with the GM Duramax is www.dieselplace.com. Hopefully others can point you to the equivalent Ram and Ford forums, or just google for them.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

stevewise
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2005 F250 6.0L and had the injector module go bad ($1000) then the head bolts stretched while towing mid trip ($4000 total with towing and lodging). After the last issue brought it home and bought a new F350 6.7L.
'15 Sierra 377FLIK
'14 Ford F350 SRW King Ranch
DW and Cricket the Chihuahua

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Diesel fuel is ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) 15ppm.

I change my oil/oil filter/fuel filter at 5000 mile intervals because I am anal about oil & filters.
MANY folks change at 7500/10,000 miles.

Diesel engines are 'work horses' made for towing/hauling.

FORD 6.0 diesel engines do NOT have good reputations.

Pretty much what ob says.
Except I go by DIC on filter changes; ~ 9k-10k for oil filter and ~18k-20k for fuel filter.
Some Folks go longer by sending oil sample out for analysis and adding secondary filters.
I have decided to keep the truck stock and follow the GM DIC.
10 yrs in it still runs/looks new.
This was our first diesel and we have found no negatives to diesel ownership.
I can't imagine ever going back to a gasser.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned a 2006 F350 with the 6.0 and after only one year traded it out for a 2008 Duramax. Over the course of twelve months a replaced the egr cooler, oil cooler, fan clutch, CAC tube, turbo Cleaned, front rotors, calipers and pads and swapped out the Cord **** coolant for Cat ELC. After all that the truck was still having turbo pro lems and the CAC tube kept blowing off. Also, I had to manually lock in the front hubs when I needed 4 wheel drive, what a PITA.

I really did enjoy the truck, looks and sounds great. Rode much better than my Duramax a d WAG better fuel economy. The 6.0 struggled pulling my 14600 lb fiver up some of the hills we traverse while my Duramax pulls them in fifth year. The 6.0 just felt under powered to me.

If you can find a 6.0 that is documented bullet proofed at a good price and all its maintenance has been done then it may be a good truck. I'd love to have one for my daily driver bit the wife said no way. Good luck. You'll love a diesel, the lower is amazing.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Reality Check wrote:
The fact that you are a low mileage user is hugely in your favor.

Not so sure about that. I owned a 2000 F250 7.3 diesel when we FTd in our 5ver. Once we quit FTing my PU was only driven every couple of weeks. That is when the problems started. Getting it started became a big issue. Diesels are great if you use them. After sitting for a couple of weeks on a cold winter day it quit on the way to town. (95000 miles) I had it towed and traded it. I went back to a gas V10. That said, a gas PU won't go up those mountain grades as well. When you get your diesel PU don't let it sit. They need to be used on a regular basis.

Rollin
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 F350 6.0L. I travel at night on hot days to keep the temps down. I've had a turbo go out (not under heavy use-going down hill). A bed pan gasket leak (Fords gasket redign that didn't work). A power window motor failure. All of these problems cleared under warranty. Main problem suggestions: A Bullet Proof Kit, head gaskets and ARP studs at Bullet Proof in Arizona. Care and Maintenance: Go to Power Stroke Help on Youtube for Periodic Maintenance (PM) schedules and fluids, fuel and filters-Powerstroke Ford Diesel.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am buying diesels only for last 20 years and the only reason wife drive gasoline wagon is becouse last good diesel wagon sold in this country about year 1990.
I drove VW diesel wagon for couple of years but DW hated that thing.
Coming to Ford diesel, the 7.3l is very reliable engine but comparing to newer it sucks fuel and suck in power, but your wife will know you are coming when you are 3 blocks away.
I bought 6l, but as already mentioned that is troublesome engine. I am mechanically inclined and drive carefully observing the gauges.
Still when empty my dually is regularly beating BMWs between the lights.
Bought the truck cheap enough to play with it, but would never recommend it to someone who is not expert on diesels.
If you can afford, go for newer engines. I am drooling when I see quiet 450 HP diesels and sure one is on my list once I hit the lottery.

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
I love my 7.3 diesel. I have no problems finding fuel. ( just traveled from MN to MA to MN to PA to MN) I do put in premium for a couple pennies more when I find it or a fuel additive to protect my investment. It is all Ford/Motorcraft components. I change the oil and filter every 5k and fuel filter every 15k. I maintain the tranny and coolant per the mfg recommendation. Personally, if you cannot get proof that the 6.0 has been "bullet proofed" I would stay away from it. Try searching with www.searchtempest.com to expand your search.

I will not go back to gas. I get 11 mpg with the camper and 17 to 24 without it. It has 225000 miles on it. I love the smell of diesel in the morning!
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
The fuel is not an issue. They (EPA) just changed the requirements to a 'low sulphur', which is the 15ppm you keep seeing. They all run on the stuff. Is it as good for the engine as the high sulfur? I suspect not. Kind of like when they took lead out of our regular gasoline. Switch worried folks.

And you'll get a earful on the 6.0's, the 7.3's, the Cummin's, the etc etc.

Take it all with a grain of salt. Some of us are blind to what we want to believe because we bought a certain rig and we want to know that we made the 'best' decision. Some have had a bad experience and therefore everyone else will too. There are some common problems with different years of every engine out there. Read, but read between the lines too.

Have owned all three makes.. some real trucks also. They ALL have issues. The fact that you are a low mileage user is hugely in your favor.

Bottome line; fuel is not an issue.

Edit: Buzzcut beat my post... and is right about the additive. Most don't add it, but it is how one makes up for the change. He's also correct on the difference between power on the 6.7 to the 6.0. Huge. But, the 6.0 gets down the road just fine. Life ain't a race.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have both a 6.0L F350 SRW and a 6.7L DRW F350 diesel. Problem with the 6.0 is 2 fold. International designed it as a 250hp motor Ford upped the output to 350 hp without upgrading the head bolts or gaskets, secondly the injectors were designed with LSD diesel not ULSD, you need to add a lubricity additive to the fuel every tankfull.. The low end pulling power of the 6.0 is not that good and it bites when the motor is cold. The 6.7 blows the 6.0L away in all respects. Look to Texas for a used 50 state emission certified 6.7L diesel. IN Ca all the 2011 and 2012 with a descent trim package were going for 52-54 k we found a clean 2011 for 38k fully loaded in Texas. If you buy out of stat the CA DMV will put you through the ringer unless you have had it registered in the state of purchase beofe you bring it in and then you will need a CA Smog test Cert and a CA certifice CAT scale weight of the unladed truck to get it registered. No way I would ever go back to a gas pickup, I tow heavy and my TC is heavy, with the Diesel I do not notice the load.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

ramlinwillie
Explorer
Explorer
I have a F250 2004 6.0 with 107000 miles, change oil every 5000, no problems. Just like all new motors a few had problems. Don't let them scare you.
04 F250 FX4 CC Lariat SB, Rhino Lining 6.0L V-8 Diesel TorqShift auto Camper Package-Rear Stabilizer Bar,Aux Springs, Rancho RS900X, Timbrems, Goodyear 245/70R19.5G, Pullrite SuperGlide, 2005 CedarCreek Silverback,2003 F350, 2007 Outfitter Apex 9.5

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
A diesel will certainly give you more torque (pulling power) and better mileage than a gasser. I change the oil when every my onboard sensor tells me to which is about every 7K miles. All the diesel fuel I've found in the last couple of years is the same now, and will work well in any diesel engine. This 2013 diesel is the first one I've ever owned, and I certainly won't go back to gas.

Now the big issue. The 6.0 Ford diesel has a history of serious failures and very expensive repairs. My son has one, and he's had to replace 6 of the 8 injectors which are very expensive. Do your homework on this engine, and make sure you get the history on the work that was done on this particular vehicle.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Diesel fuel is ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) 15ppm.

I change my oil/oil filter/fuel filter at 5000 mile intervals because I am anal about oil & filters.
MANY folks change at 7500/10,000 miles.

Diesel engines are 'work horses' made for towing/hauling.

FORD 6.0 diesel engines do NOT have good reputations.

I was a Ford guy from teenage to mid adult. In 2007 bought Dodge with Cummins because of issues with Ford's 6.0 engine. (and I did not like Dodges!!!)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31