cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radio recommendation?

Notakwanon
Explorer
Explorer
In my 2006 GMC 2500HD diesel I have an AM/FM/CD player radio. I like to listen to music or audio books on long drives, but the CD player skips so badly on a moderately rough road as to be un-listenable. Maybe the truck rides rough, or maybe the CD player is worn out, I don't know. I've asked at the local Best Buy, and of course am told that all their new radios work just fine on rough roads. I'd listen to the advice of someone who has solved the same problem. Certainly some company builds a CD player designed to play under rough conditions. What brands/models of radio/CD players have continued to work for you even when the road is bumpy? Thanks. Tom McCloud
2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6 diesel
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5
18 REPLIES 18

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I replaced the OEM highfalutin stereo radio in our truck after it had been replaced twice under warranty'

Bought a Clarion AM/FM/CD/USB........

Then downloaded all of our CDs onto USB Memory Sticks
Plug into USB port on radio and PLAY PLAY PLAY

(Side note....didn't have issues with CDs skipping)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I purchased an entry level basic Kenwood from Cruthfield several years ago with CD single CD player and a USB input. It was about $80 and was well worth the step up from factory (my CD player went out on the stock one too.)

It has held up well even with my off-road jaunts.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think the 2006 radio came with an auxiliary jack. A way around the cd skip problem may be to buy a new radio that does have and aux jack, or see if one can be added to yours, then you could connect the headphone jack from your phone to there and listen to audiobooks played from your phone. I listen to audiobooks frequently and using the phone lets me continue listening to the same book in a different vehicle, mowing the lawn, etc. What I've done for my 2008 is buy a 12v to USB adapter to plug into the dash, and a Bluetooth receiver to plug into that. Plug the audio jack from the Bluetooth into the truck's radio, pair the Bluetooth and keep the phone in my pocket. I suppose even better is a radio with Bluetooth...

Of course, if your books are only available on CD transferring to the phone could be a pain.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect the issue is with your factory unit. I have a JVC head unit in my 2500 and I've never had it skip. If you upgrade to a unit with a USB input, you can rip your audio books to digital format, put them on a thumb drive and plug the drive into your new radio...no skipping from a digital drive.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran