cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram Goes to Stunning 900 lb-ft of torque

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
The 2016 Ram 3500 breaks the towing record previously held by the old Ram 3500 (at 30,000 pounds) by moving up to 31,210 pounds,more than two tons beyond its closest rival. To get there, Ram went from 12 to 16 hardened bolts on the rear axle ring gear (for all trucks with the 11.8-inch axle), and used stronger materials in the differential case.

LINK
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.
259 REPLIES 259

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Well we don't have the testing numbers yet so until then we don't know who will make it to the top first. Everyone knows that a in-line engine makes tons of torque down low and thru the mid rpm range and a V8 is just the opposite so the V8 should be able to out run the Ram over a long haul. Then add the Ram can out tow both the others and the question becomes do you want top speed or towing ability. Just like the Ford EB and the Ram ED do you want top speed or mileage? The Ram is the fastest off the line in every video I have seen also. It was not far enough behind the other two to really make a big difference, it will catch you guys on the backside and control that speed much better than the other two going down the hill.

As far as the lying about the SAE J2807 specs both GM/Chevy and Ford had to remove parts and not just on the F-450 but all across the line up, to be able to get their trucks to look half way decent, Ram did not!

Myself, I think Ram shot themselves in the foot letting that V8 Cummins go. If I were in charge that engine would be in the 1500 and 2500 Ram along with a HD tow/payload option (think 6 lug axles) on the 1500 trucks. I also would have optioned the Ecodiesel in the 1500 but without the HD option. But I'm just a lowly Toolmaker stuck in the Tool & Gage department without any say in the matter.

Don

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Truck Trend
prnewswire.com
autoblog.com

As far as who gets to the top first, if that is all you have to hold on to you can have it, the Ram will settle with being to the top a few minutes after you.

Don

Who gets to the top first is kind of the point isn't of all that power? I mean on one hand you are bragging that your truck OEM has a pickup that makes 900 foot pounds but on the other hand you don't care when you makes it to the top of hill, that seems contradictory to me. Why then feed all that power? Why offer a pickup that specs so great, but gets owned by trucks with considerably less impressive spec sheets. Kinda like the 6.4 gas, stomps the competition in every measurable stat except pulling a load up a hill. Suddenly then it becomes less important how fast you can get up hill, cause you know, it isn't race.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:

Note the highlighted part, Ram claims, not Alpar or Truck Trend or anyone else Ram claims! also note this "2016 Ram 3500 crushes the competition with up to 31,210 pounds of SAE J2807-spec. towing capacity, beating the closest competitor by more than two tons" without have to strip the truck of you know pesky things like a spare tire, radio, all seats but the drivers and the center console! Shame they can't play by the rules.

I own a Ram(and Ford), but I am more about facts than spreading false information. This statement is false because the 2015 F450 Crew Cab is J2807 rated to tow 31,200 lbs. The taking off of spare tires thing was to lower the medium duty F450 into Class 3 where all the other light duty 350/3500 trucks were because Ford stated that they believed that much weight should be towed by a medium duty truck and NOT a light duty truck. So they lowered the payload ratings and weight of the medium duty F450 to fit it into the light heavy duty Class 3 max GVWR of 14,000 lbs. Either way, that is too much weight to be throwing around for just a pissing contest.

Would be interested to see where ford made that statement.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why? . I just don't see ever needing that much power.

That is the problem, you just don't see it. Knowing that you have this problem is half way to solving it. And your Dodge dealer can help you solve the rest of your problem. Then, you too, will be able to 'see it', drive it, ride in it, tow with it, and then you will wonder why you never were able to see it. Problem solved!
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer

Note the highlighted part, Ram claims, not Alpar or Truck Trend or anyone else Ram claims! also note this "2016 Ram 3500 crushes the competition with up to 31,210 pounds of SAE J2807-spec. towing capacity, beating the closest competitor by more than two tons" without have to strip the truck of you know pesky things like a spare tire, radio, all seats but the drivers and the center console! Shame they can't play by the rules.

I own a Ram(and Ford), but I am more about facts than spreading false information. This statement is false because the 2015 F450 Crew Cab is J2807 rated to tow 31,200 lbs. The taking off of spare tires thing was to lower the medium duty F450 into Class 3 where all the other light duty 350/3500 trucks were because Ford stated that they believed that much weight should be towed by a medium duty truck and NOT a light duty truck. So they lowered the payload ratings and weight of the medium duty F450 to fit it into the light heavy duty Class 3 max GVWR of 14,000 lbs. Either way, that is too much weight to be throwing around for just a pissing contest.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Truck Trend
prnewswire.com
autoblog.com

So lets see if they write about Ford or GM their Gods? But if it's anything good about FCA/Ram they have it all wrong? OK good to know :R

"Ram claims that this huge figure is the most torque ever available in a mass production vehicle, and it tops the 2015 model by a healthy 35 lb-ft. The added grunt comes thanks to adjustments to the fuel delivery and the turbo's boost, and to better handle things, the rear axle gear now is held with 16 bolts, rather than 12. The tweaks also push the tow rating to an SAE J2807-certified 31,210 pounds, which is absolutely monumental."

As far as who gets to the top first, if that is all you have to hold on to you can have it, the Ram will settle with being to the top a few minutes after you.

mich800 wrote:
"Ram went from 12 to 16 hardened bolts on the rear axle ring gear"

That is just so now they only need to properly torque 75% of the bolts and still have 12 tightened to spec.
Yep VM screwed up but FCA had the balls to stand up and say they screwed up and will repair the affected trucks when the rod lets loose. Beats having your ignition turn off and people dying don't you think.

Don

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
Why? :h. I just don't see ever needing that much power. My 2008 D/A pulls my 42' 14600 lb fiver like its not even there. What's the point.

you don't see the point of things evolving? Wow, forget trucks I wonder why Ferrari or Apple bother....deary me.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer

According to the article Ram is the only truck maker using the SAE towing standard in the 2500/250 &up line of trucks. But then you would have had to read the article to know that.

Like I said before, I would not put too much faith in what Allpar says since they are known to post false information in order to make anything Mopar look good. The statement that only Ram has J2807 rated 250/2500 trucks is false. Both Chevy and GMC 2015 2500 and up trucks are J2807 rated along with their 1500s. Ford's F150s are J2807 and their new F250/350 will be just as they said back in 2011.

Also, I would not put too much faith in the J2807 standards either. After all, the 2.7L Ecoboost is rated to tow less than the Ecodiesel yet the 2.7L EB will out tow the Ecodiesel in acceleration and stopping which is what the J2807 tests. Just because the J2807 says a truck can tow X amount does not mean they have to market that it does, and a truck make can actually rate it to tow less than what the J2807 standard rates it at. They just cannot exceed what the J2807 standards says it can tow.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

transferred
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
G
Hmmm.. a 11.8" rear axle ?? Is that a typo ??
Ram was using the AAM 11.5" rear axle however at 9700-9800 RAWR it was getting closer to AAM max. e.

AAM rates the 1150 to 13,300 lbs. The 11.8 has been on the Aisin DRWs for a few years now, but it's now further beefed up.
05 Ram 3500 SRW QCSB Laramie 4x4 Cummins, 610lbs, 23k GC, 9.9k GV
(totaled) 16 Ram 3500 SRW RCLB SLT 4X4 Cummins Aisin, 900lbs, 25.3k GC, 11.5k GV
06 F550 4x4 PSD, 570lbs, 33k GC, 19.5k GV

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
Amazing how Ram now has Ford and GM playing catch up. Ford will likely be next to go to 900 plus pounds of torque and then it starts all over again.

Ram seems to beat everyone on paper, usually being the first to achieve the higher ratings, unfortunately not often do they win going up the hill. Maybe this time will be different. The new higher rated Duramax will not be available until 2017 it sounds like, so now would be a good time for Ram to raise it's leg a little higher on the fire hydrant.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boxer Lovers wrote:
Luxury fifth wheel makers are churning out models exceeding 45' with 23,000# empty weights. In order to tie that much rig you used to have to pop for a $150,000 medium duty Freightliner. Now you can tow that trailer for half the money. And, yes, it will pull everything down to a safe stop with the extremely adequate Cummins exhaust brake.

According to the article Ram is the only truck maker using the SAE towing standard in the 2500/250 &up line of trucks. But then you would have had to read the article to know that.

Wait a minute........you mean that people that comment on things and give their opinions have no real knowledge of the subject they are replying to?!!!! I don`t believe it!:R
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Boxer Lovers wrote:
Luxury fifth wheel makers are churning out models exceeding 45' with 23,000# empty weights. In order to tie that much rig you used to have to pop for a $150,000 medium duty Freightliner. Now you can tow that trailer for half the money. And, yes, it will pull everything down to a safe stop with the extremely adequate Cummins exhaust brake.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FOR SALE 2105 RAM LongHorn Crew Dually

4:10's with Aisin trans only 2,800 miles Whimpy 865'# TQ.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
mr. ed wrote:
My 2007 3500 RAM has far less than 900 ft/lbs torque but it handles my 30' Fiver quite well. I don't think my stock clutch could have handled any more torque than it does (clutch was replaced about 1 1/2 years ago ).

Happy to see you back on rv.net

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Spoon, how's this for a shocker? Have to agree with the Last half of your post. Better mpg would really be nice.