Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Real life Hybrid towing experiences

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi folks,

Looking for some insight from those who have towed with a mid-size SUV hybrid.
DW and I are a single-vehicle household and are hoping to get into a slightly bigger vehicle than our current '13 Honda CRV.

With a son living/working in Europe with no intentions of returning, we are going to have to afford trips to see him....especially after his upcoming wedding and potential grand-babies shortly after. She's already made such noises.....yay!!

That said, I've told DW that I am not willing to completely give up on camping as I simply miss all the fresh air etc.
With that, I'm thinking we'll end up with a pop-up or very small TT.
We're looking into a Toyota Highlander Hybrid with 3500lbs towing capacity as well as the Ford Explorer Hybrid with 5000lbs towing.

Trust me, I'd love to have a truck/5th wheel again, but that simply isn't in the cards.

So, anybody out there using their Hybrid in such a fashion?
32 REPLIES 32

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
i would shy away from any hybrid with a CVT for towing purposes.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Is there a reason you need an SUV? A 1/2ton pickup (4door) will do anything an SUV will do and cost should be similar.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't imagine it would be a problem. You'd simply run on the gas engine more than you would in non-tow mode.

But... if saving money is the goal, the hybrid version of the Escape will usually run about USD20K more on a new vehicle. No idea about the Toyota.

You might be better off getting a used gasser with the tow capacity you want. It's going to take a lot of miles to offset that much of a price difference, especially if electricity isn't that much cheaper on a per-mile basis.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit