cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Real life opinions on Dodge Durango and Chrysler Aspens

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
Its getting time to cycle out my old 2003 Tahoe with high miles, and I would love to replace it with another Tahoe, But Tahoes are so much more expensive than what they were back years ago. However, the Tahoe was the most reliable vehicle I ever owned.

So, anyone have real life experience with 2007-2009 Dodge Durango or Chrysler Aspens? These are much more in my price range, and was wondering if the 4.7 motor is reliable? And yes, I do preventative maintenance to the extreme with my vehicles. Not looking to do much towing with it, maybe the 1-2 times a year hauling my 4,500# boat. I use my truck to pull around my travel trailer.
THANKS!
38 REPLIES 38

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the advice!
So who lives near 409 National Pike West
Brownsville, PA 15417 and wants to test drive a vehicle??

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
jbres wrote:
Bionic Man- I have started searching further away... With the shipping idea, my issue is that I want to do a full lookover and test drive before purchasing any vehicle used. Half the used vehicles I have driven so far, either squeak, leak, or have rust, so I really wouldn't trust getting something shipped.

I have that cat blocked, but I would hope anyone would never purchase a vehicle off sight. My BIL did risk purchasing a dodge truck in Arizona and if the purchase was a bust our investment would have been limited to a round trip plane ticket.

I hope you were drunk again when you posted this again another attack on Ram trucks.
Good grief, give it a break already with the BIL, wifes second cousin information. Just stick with what you know..... CP.4 pumps and FORD trucks :W Err wait you have a Ford car also so you get a pass there, I suppose.
Just cause you have all Fords in your driveway don't mean you have a flush kiddo.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
jbres wrote:
Bionic Man- I have started searching further away... With the shipping idea, my issue is that I want to do a full lookover and test drive before purchasing any vehicle used. Half the used vehicles I have driven so far, either squeak, leak, or have rust, so I really wouldn't trust getting something shipped.

You are right, there are risks that way.

Before I came out, I had the dealer do a face time walk around the vehicle, as well as on a test drive.

I'm not sure this forum would work this way, but I had a boating forum friend who was near Portland go and check it out. And I signed paperwork to purchase contingent to my inspection and it to have no leaks or check engine lights.

Are you active on any smaller forums? I have checked out three boats and a car for forum friends that found something they were interested in that was in my area. Now I can honestly say I have on line friends that I would trust to check out a large purchase and I would take their word sight unseen.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
jbres wrote:

I have that cat blocked, but I would hope anyone would never purchase a vehicle off sight. My BIL did risk purchasing a dodge truck in Arizona and if the purchase was a bust our investment would have been limited to a round trip plane ticket.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

jbres
Explorer
Explorer

Adam_R
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Spend the extra money and get what you pay for . Nothing can come close to a Tahoe or Suburban.

B.O.

And even they can't begin to approach the quality and dependability of a 100 series Landcruiser. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Give the 100 series LC's a look. I was a Jeep guy early on, but finally came to my senses after 15 years of Jeep ownership. The toyota's might be a little more cost up front, but they are hard to beat in the long run.

Adam

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would stay away from a Durango/Aspen with a 4.7 engine. The Aspen was a pretty vehicle but going from full size to mid size could be a shock.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
jbres wrote:
and to you "Bionic Man", I don't know what it is around here in Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana, but Tahoe, Yukons, Suburbans are a **** war price.
Back in 2009 I paid 13k for my 2003 Tahoe 4x4 that was 6 years old with 70k miles. I cant find anything even remotely near that price anymore!

If prices are higher in your area, you should expand your search parameters.

I bought my Burb in Oregon because I decided I wanted the 8.1. I ended up driving it home myself because I was able to do a work trip up there anyway. But I did research it, and it is very reasonable to ship a vehicle. I think I was quoted around $500 for Portland to Denver.

Might be something to consider. Especially since you could look in areas of the country where the vehicles are not only less expensive, but also could look in a sunbelt state that would not have rust isses.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I sure like the looks of the Aspen, they did not make them very long.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spend the extra money and get what you pay for . Nothing can come close to a Tahoe or Suburban.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
and to you "Bionic Man", I don't know what it is around here in Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana, but Tahoe, Yukons, Suburbans are a **** war price.
Back in 2009 I paid 13k for my 2003 Tahoe 4x4 that was 6 years old with 70k miles. I cant find anything even remotely near that price anymore!

jbres
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the terrific, great advice guys! lol. I will just stick to my roots, and as long as I perform my hardcore preventative maintenance, any vehicle will be fine! (with a few exceptions)

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
wilber1 wrote:
SouthpawHD wrote:
Man, you guys really have this innate ability to turn a simple question into a big swinging schlong contest. It's happened several times in past several weeks. And it really seems happens with the Ram/Cummins guys.

I feel sorry for those OPs that are new to camping/RVing and turn here for answers.

Friggen give it a rest already.

It seems to happen more on Ram/Cummins topics. I don't think you can put that on Ram Cummins guys.

That said, this forum is the last place I would go to for objective information on a tow vehicle.

Yeah, the problem is this place SHOULD be where to go to get that objective advice.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
"It seems to happen more on Ram/Cummins topics. I don't think you can put that on Ram Cummins guys."

I have to agree with this 100%. Anytime anything is posted about any vehicle made by FCA the wack jobs have to come out and try and get the thread closed down.

Maybe they are insecure with their vehicle choices.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.