and, strapping a small road trip grill to it. Probably about
50 pounds Max.
Is this safe...as pop up bumpers are not as strong as other
larger travel trailers ?
6 REPLIES 6

bondebond
Explorer
Explorer
While my bumper is the same 4" square tube used on TTs, I have little confidence that it can hold much at all. I have done some mods that make use of the bumper but nothing more than about 25 pounds. I would not want to, read suggest, put anything that extends beyond it and/or add much more weight to it without actively reinforcing it at the welders shop.
This space left intentionally.

2006 Fleetwood Sequoia and mods...one of the tallest highwall pop-ups on the planet after flipping the axle.

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
rfryer wrote:
Not a good idea, especially if you take the PU off the pavement om more primitive roads. My spare is mounted on the rear bumper and I broke a weld on my TT bumper doing just that.

I take mine in some rough conditions with the canoe onboard. No issues.

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
Not a good idea, especially if you take the PU off the pavement om more primitive roads. My spare is mounted on the rear bumper and I broke a weld on my TT bumper doing just that.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Saunts wrote:
as pop up bumpers are not as strong as other
larger travel trailers ?

lol... TT bumpers are not that strong!

I didn't know roadtrip grills weighed that much. More of an issue might be unbalancing the trailer, depending on how much weight is on the tongue.

A lot of TT and popup campers have spare tires mounted on the rear bumper, with the big thing being that they are bolted stationary with most of their weight over, or almost over, the bumper. Being bolted down, they don't bounce when going over bumps - which would greatly increase the force of weight on the bumper due to leverage.

Can you get some sort of equipment mount to put stuff on top of the folded popup? I've seen more than a few popups with bike racks on top. I have no idea about weight capacities or the possible effects on the roof.

Good luck!

popupcamping
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldn't have any issues. I made a shelf on mine using 3 PT boards. It holds all my blocking and my patio mat.And on occasion my canoe rack sits on it as well with no issues. Unlikely your grill will fit there though. there isn't much height.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not advisable.