cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rear kitchens

tnrv_er
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's your opinions on TT with rear kitchens?
My thinking is that the kitchen is where most of your weight is & should be centrally located.
The other thing is your food is going to get bounced around more in the rear of the trailer. Possibly opening a cabinet and having a mess.
So what's your thinking on it?
21 REPLIES 21

Timtation
Explorer
Explorer
Our RK travels with velcro zips on the handles of all cabinets. We have had emergency stops open the cabinets prior to this mod. For all the above mentions we like the RK with the bed in the front. First up for coffee need not bother the late riser. The single entry door only challenged by someone at the fridge, just perfect for asking for a cool one prior to entering for happy hour. Our older model has a window in front by the bed, we seldom open the cover but often are backed into a slip with a good view out the kitchen window. Last winter in FL we really appreciated the RK with the fridge near the door so we could add ice to our drinks as we headed to the storm shelter.;-)

DanJoan
Explorer
Explorer
We, too, have a rear kitchen. No problems with anything opening or breaking.
2017 Cherokee Limited (Patriot Edition)
2015 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition

Moved up from 2004 Antiqua 195ck

2milesup
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Lance 2285 has a rear kitchen which we both like. The sink is in the corner and DW loves having windows on 2 walls by the sink. No problem with bouncing food or utensils, no weight issues.
Jerry & Lori
2011 Chevy 1500 5.3L Z71 4X4
2015 Lance 2285
Andersen Sway Control, Prodigy, Honda EU2000i, empty wallet

Tyandkate
Explorer
Explorer
Our 08' jayco 25z has a rear kitchen and we couldn't be happier with it we have a tall pantry floor too ceiling and plenty of counter space. We also have a window to let in light and give a view, I let my wife rest and I prepare our meals at the campsite but it really has to be messy out for me to cook inside

nohurry
Explorer
Explorer
We do a lot of cooking outside as well, but we love our rear kitchen. The refer is on the side but other than that the rest of the kitchen is across the back. What this does is make the TT seem much bigger, with more living space. No one has to squeeze by the DW (or me), if we're cooking, making coffee etc to get to and from the bathroom, and bedroom. Also, I'm the early riser of the two of us, so when I'm up making coffee etc while the wife is still sleeping, my "banging around" as she calls it is at the other end of the rv. As far as the contents of cabinets goes, we try to secure everything anyway and haven't noticed it being much worse than our previous mid kitchen rig. When we purchase a fiver in a few years it will probably be a rear kitchen model.
Carl
2007 National RV, Sea Breeze

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
We are on our second rear kitchen and have never had any issues. Wife loves them for the counter space.

tnscoutr
Explorer
Explorer
We have had the rear kitchen in our signature for 1 1/2 years and love it. We have never had any of the problems that you typically hear about. The additional counter space is what sold us on it.
06 Ford F250 Lariat Crewcab Powerstroke
2015 Keystone Hideout 30RKDS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
danimal53 wrote:
where you get that extra 5 degrees from? :B
๐Ÿ˜‰

OK, you guys got me there! :B Um... maybe if you turn in a circle ... twice?

What makes the 360 degree possible is because the slides have 3 windows, one on each end and then on the side and there is a slide on both sides of the camper. So windows face all 4 directions from the living room area.

Yea ... 365??? I never was good in math and geometry!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
danimal53 wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
We all have our own preferences, but having now owned a camper that had the rear living room ... with opposing slides on both sides, and all the windows for an almost - 365 degree view, why block up the view out the back.

... Having windows with that almost 365 degree view is so much more enjoyable.

magic! where you get that extra 5 degrees from? :B
Couldn't be leap year. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

SgtMark
Explorer
Explorer
Just my 2 cents, we have a 27 foot Aspen Trail with the rear kitchen. Wife loves the big window over the sink and plenty of storage. I have never experienced any towing problems or weight distribution problems. As others have said, to me the island in some campers is wasted space but that's just me.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Some rear kitchen models are better than others. Make sure you look at all the variations.

Our is an 'RK', but it has countertop across the entire rear, and a good sized picture window in the rear wall. Lower cabinets across the entire rear. Sink is in the corner, range on the side wall next to the sink, then the fridge over the axles. Barely qualifies as a rear kitchen, but that's what they call it. And we love the layout. More storage than mid-kitchen models. And no, we do not have any issues with things jumping around.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We've had a rear kitchen for 13 years and like it alot. We dont find things move around any more than they did with our previous mid-kitchen. It also has the fridge right next to the entry door which we've found to be very convenient.
Our trailer does have shocks though and I think that makes a huge difference to the amount of bounce.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
danimal53 wrote:
where you get that extra 5 degrees from? :B
๐Ÿ˜‰
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
We all have our own preferences, but having now owned a camper that had the rear living room ... with opposing slides on both sides, and all the windows for an almost - 365 degree view, why block up the view out the back.

... Having windows with that almost 365 degree view is so much more enjoyable.

magic! where you get that extra 5 degrees from? :B
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH