cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rear vertical stud spacing distance?

CCS
Explorer
Explorer
I want to install a rear ladder on my 2012 Catalina Coachmen 32BHDS. The roof is rated for one. Can anyone tell me what the vertical stud spacing distance is? Or where to ask? Or how to find out? I contacted the company tech but haven't heard back; my owner's book doesn't tell me; I couldn't get a studfinder to work I presume because of maybe the metal skin?? I'd greatly appreciate any assistance. Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

CCS
Explorer
Explorer
Hi to campigloo, hey, that's a good thought and thanks so much for explaining! I can understand that. Mine does have a huge picture window in the back bunkroom. Did you install a ladder somewhere?

CCS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, think I will!

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
If your camper has a huge picture window on the back it may not have any studs. Mine doesn't to allow flex so the glass doesn't break.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update, Celeste.

I can think of no reason you shouldn't/couldn't call Coachmen and talk to them personally, if you wish.

I contact my RV's manufacturer quite often with questions.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

CCS
Explorer
Explorer
OK, here's the latest on my endeavor to install a rear ladder. A local rv dealer kindly contacted Coachmen for me and the rep told her that 2012 was a year where the rear will not support a ladder. The roof is just fine but apparently not the vertical support system. ?? I really wish I'd been able to talk to the rep myself. So now I'm returning the ladder and will try to figure out a Plan B. Thanks, all, for your kind input.
Celeste

CCS
Explorer
Explorer
Will do! Will get to it in the next few days (had to evac a couple of days for a wildfire, been busy setting back up).
Thank you again.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Let us know how your project works out. Photos always appreciated (and usually envied).
It's his Super Power!

CCS
Explorer
Explorer
To NoVa, I must admit I really didn't know what an internal capacitor was. Thanks again!

To Langley B.C., Thanks for the info. I'll check this out tomorrow. I have seen little tiny staples, just didn't know the deciphering. Thanks again!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We used to have a smaller Catalina which had wood framing with batt insulation, so I assume yours does too. You can push on the inside walls and try and find where the 1/8" luan plywood doesn't flex, then look for the tiny staples holding the luan in place. You should be able to find one vertical stud by looking for the tape they use to cover the side-side joint in 4' wide sections of luan ply. I don't think you will find studs on equal centers. IIRC, ours varied from around 14-16". I couldn't get the stud finder I had to work on our Catalina, but they're not all the same.

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Not quite what I meant, but if it works for you - great!

I just meant one that measures density changes.

Good luck!
It's his Super Power!

CCS
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for the suggestion. That gave me an idea. I had been trying the stud sensor/edge finder on the exterior. Maybe I should be looking for the studs from the interior instead. Thanks!
CeCe

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
You could use an internal capacitor stud finder/edge finder that measures or shows changes in density.
It's his Super Power!