Did you mean: 

Recommend a HTT for a family

Veik
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
looking for recommendation on a hybrid.
Two adults, two small kids (2 and 6)

I will be towing with a Tundra (which can pull 6500-10,000#, depending on engine size)

We need 2+ beds, dinning area and ideally...a couch bed.
A/C is a must.

I have been looking at used Forest River Shamrock and Roo and Kodiak

What would you recommend? The smaller the better...within reason
35 REPLIES 35

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Veik wrote:
Any comments on the starcraft brand?

We liked used 217rbss we saw on the lot today
Seems like a quality unit, dream dinnete, good size bath, couch
2010, dealer was askimg 16.9

Is that model a hybrid? Price seems high for a 6 year old trailer, especially if it's a hybrid.

Starcraft has always had a good rep, even after Jayco took them over.

I just checked online Dan (by the way: How are you!) and it is an Hybrid. However I do agree with you..... the price is kind of high.
We bought a 2011 Palomino Stampede S-238 2 years ago and we paid $11,500. I agree we got a real good deal, but still......$16,900 for a 2010 is steep !!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Veik wrote:

Is that model a hybrid? Price seems high for a 6 year old trailer, especially if it's a hybrid.

Starcraft has always had a good rep, even after Jayco took them over.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 starcraft travelstar sport 21rbh, similar model even rarer is the star stream 22rbh.

These were the last of the StarCraft brand before the economy tanked and Jayco took over the name and ditched the iconic Travelstars and Antiquas.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Veik
Explorer
Explorer

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend the roo 233s or solaire 213x. Both 3 bed with slides. Roo the u dinette/solaire the couch slides.

Roo small kitchen. Solaire larger kitchen.

I have two kids aged 3 and 6 in a bunkhouse/two tent rare htt. Sleeps 6 so occosional guests either the tent end or bunkbeds.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
No confusion at all....we always used the front bunk only, although opened both for a more open feel and a handy place to set the laundry basket. With company, or with 2 children in the OP case, the rear bunk is readily available. Note I mentioned camping buddies, even with the smaller standard dinette at that time, there was plenty of room for cards, games, etc. For just a time of visiting, the sofa and dinette face each other rather than next to, so lends itself to conversation moreso, IMHO, than next to each other.

You're going to be prepping food regardless, but more people = more to prep. The 23SS has considerably more countertop space than most any HTT.

Re the 3 bunk models...if the OP plans on keeping their HTT for more than 4 or 5 years, the 3 bed model makes good sense. Agree that as the children grow, they like to bring a friend. With the newer, larger U-shaped dinette, it makes a much better bed than the standard dinette from back on '07. Personally, would not want to make up a bed every night, but on occasion would not be a problem. Move the younger one to the dinette and let the older and friend share the rear bunk.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
dadmomh wrote:
Highly recommend the ROO 23SS. Second choice would be the 21SS, but it's seriously lacking in kitchen workspace, but has more floorspace. We had the 23SS - generally only 2 adults - and it was perfect. The amount of kitchen countertop is awesome, storage is excellent and if you decide you need more pantry area, you can easily make 1/2 of the wardrobe into pantry. We used the vinyl coated wire stack baskets and worked perfectly. Thinking further down the road, if the older child wants to bring a friend, the dinette will be fine for the younger one. Ours was an '07 with the standard dinette. LOVE the U-shaped one now standard. Our camping buddies had a Shamrock 19 and always wanted to end up in our 23SS since they felt it was more comfortable and inviting. The sofa and dinette is perfect for a gathering without anyone having their back to the others.

The 21SS is very popular and a nice floorplan with more floor space, but the kitchen his minimal space. Unless the #s have changed, it's also heavier than the 23SS, likely due to a slightly deeper slide. For a while bathroom function was a problem with not being able to sit and close the door without banging your knees....wouldn't care for that.

You noted looking used. With no clue on what you're thinking age or $$$, strongly suggest you look online at RVWholesalers. They beat just about any price to be found. You may be able to buy new for the price they have. We saved over $4000 on our HTT after travel from West TN to OH and a very reputable dealer. If you're not in the mood for the drive, suggest you request their price and use it as a bargaining tool with a local dealer. Also, you can get some good pix and maybe videos on RVW. We were so pleased that when we moved to our TT, we bought from them a second time and saved even more. Good luck. Miss our ROO and miss our Rocky, which just left this week, so we're permanently trailerless due to life changes. Darn! Happy Camping.

No disrespect intended but I always get confused by posts like this. You "generally" camped with only two adults. The OP has two children. Why would the trailer that was "perfect" for you be the best choice for them?

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Highly recommend the ROO 23SS. Second choice would be the 21SS, but it's seriously lacking in kitchen workspace, but has more floorspace. We had the 23SS - generally only 2 adults - and it was perfect. The amount of kitchen countertop is awesome, storage is excellent and if you decide you need more pantry area, you can easily make 1/2 of the wardrobe into pantry. We used the vinyl coated wire stack baskets and worked perfectly. Thinking further down the road, if the older child wants to bring a friend, the dinette will be fine for the younger one. Ours was an '07 with the standard dinette. LOVE the U-shaped one now standard. Our camping buddies had a Shamrock 19 and always wanted to end up in our 23SS since they felt it was more comfortable and inviting. The sofa and dinette is perfect for a gathering without anyone having their back to the others.

The 21SS is very popular and a nice floorplan with more floor space, but the kitchen his minimal space. Unless the #s have changed, it's also heavier than the 23SS, likely due to a slightly deeper slide. For a while bathroom function was a problem with not being able to sit and close the door without banging your knees....wouldn't care for that.

You noted looking used. With no clue on what you're thinking age or $$$, strongly suggest you look online at RVWholesalers. They beat just about any price to be found. You may be able to buy new for the price they have. We saved over $4000 on our HTT after travel from West TN to OH and a very reputable dealer. If you're not in the mood for the drive, suggest you request their price and use it as a bargaining tool with a local dealer. Also, you can get some good pix and maybe videos on RVW. We were so pleased that when we moved to our TT, we bought from them a second time and saved even more. Good luck. Miss our ROO and miss our Rocky, which just left this week, so we're permanently trailerless due to life changes. Darn! Happy Camping.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

captnjack
Explorer
Explorer
bdhoun wrote:
I suggest any of the 3 bunk hybrids. Our kids love having their own "room"

As they get older it almost becomes a necessity. And it happens fast.

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
Veik wrote:

do you boondock in yours? if so - can you run the a/c of good size generator? thanks

We don't boondock with ours except when the weather is nice enough that we don't need to run AC or heat.
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
There are many options for 2-bunk, or 2-3 bed hybrids... I'd suggest you go to a show, look around, and see what seems to work best FOR YOU. Think about how you will use it, whether you want the kids with you or separated off, and whether the kids will be happy with whichever it is. Everyone, and every family, is different.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

drenjoey
Explorer
Explorer
Roo/Shamrock, Jayco, Palomino, are all good hybrids. Anyone owning one of these will suggest theirs.
The only thing I would suggest is getting a 23 footer and you will be pleased.

bdhoun
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest any of the 3 bunk hybrids. Our kids love having their own "room"
'14 Ford F-150 eco screw max tow, 3.5, 3.73's
'16 Freedom Express 257 BHS
and Equal-i-zer

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Roo/Shamrock 23 footers are nice. 23SS has a big slide. 233S will give the kids their own bunks in the future. 23IKSS has opposing slides. A little smaller and no slides are the 19 and 183.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

roovader
Explorer
Explorer
I highly recommend the Roo 23ss. I actually ordered the 21DK as it is mostly the wife and I with our teenagers every once in a while...but if I had younger kids I would definitely do the 23ss for the extra seating space.

I liked the larger bathroom and shorter length of the 21DK but it really did come down to a coin flip and the 23ss offers a little bit more IMO.

As far as community feedback just go to the manufacturer-specific forums. If you go to the Forest River forums there is a very active hybrid group. Jayco's hybrid forum is pretty active as well.