cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

reefer problems ??

restless1
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from our first boondocking trip and had a great time except for one issue. Our reefer didn't work! SO we cut our trip short one day so food wouldn't spoil. We have a Danby DCR412BLLH model. When we got home and plugged in the 110 it started humming away like it should. I thought these things worked on propane and ammonia when boondocking, or am I mistaken?? What did I do wrong?
14 REPLIES 14

restless1
Explorer
Explorer
Beemerphile, Oughtsix, thanks for the intelligent responses, unlike e-light. Yeah, I've just installed a pair of 6v golf cart batteries, and just yesterday talked the wife into getting a 4Kw generator to take with us. The fridges I researched are very expensive, and don't include installation. I know the jenny will create a lot of noise (rated at 69 db) but with frugal use and consideration of others, shouldn't be too bad. Plus it has lots of other uses. Thanks to all for your responses. Will be following up with some rig details in profile. Happy Trails!

Scrubby
Explorer
Explorer
e-light wrote:
just so you know reefer is also slang for marijuana...lol

lol yea, I thought this thread was going in a total diffrent direction before I opened it..

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
I would bite the bullet and get a propane/electric powered refrigerator! The amount of propane the fridge in my trailer consumes is minimal so I can run a very long time on a tank of propane! The propane/electric refrigerators are just to convenient and do to good of a job to cobble up a solar/battery/invertor solution.

I don't know the ins and outs of the RV fridge market but there has to be many choices available. I can't imagine you won't be able to find one sized right to fill the hole your current reefer occupies. Propane refrigerators do require an external vent... I am guessing your trailer already has the appropriate vent. If it doesn't then... hmmm...
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

Cuffs054
Explorer
Explorer
Beemer, that was a reserved and thoughtful comment. I would like to have offered more in my first response but my wrist hurt so much from smacking myself in the forehead I couldn't type anymore.

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
e-light wrote:

I thought this was going to be another of those Colorado threads...:S
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

Cuffs054
Explorer
Explorer
Damn, there's an echo in here.

Cuffs054
Explorer
Explorer
Elight, your kiddin, right dude?!

Cuffs054
Explorer
Explorer
Elight, your kiddin, right dude?!

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Rather than spend $500+ for an RV refrigerator I would spend the money on batteries and an inverter since you already have the refrigerator.

You might want to put some information about your rig in your profile or signature. I have an hunch you will be asking lots of questions as you get to know your rig.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

restless1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for your responses to my reefer situation. No, I did not have it connected to propane! Where do I find a same size fridge made for an RV that will work not hooked to 110 or is that non-existant?

Cuffs054
Explorer
Explorer
Wait...Restless did you even have it (God forbid) hooked to propane?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
YEP......strictly an AC fridge

Sorta a small residential fridge.

In order to boondock you will need to supply your own AC power source.
A Generator
OR
AN Inverter with more batteries
Solar to maintain charge on batteries
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
That is a 110 volt AC only refrigerator. It has no gas burner.

Here is a link to the owner's manual.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers