cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reese Straitline Hitch dual sway cam broke

bullyus
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1200 lb. Reese Strailine hitch which has the dual cam sway control. The hitch is about six years old. Last weeken I pulled into a campground and when I started unhooking and one of the threaded rods on the cam broke in two.... I couldn't believe my eyes. I was imagining what would have happened if it broke going down the highway. Any one ever seen this problem before. Where the shaft broke it looks like it was only holding in the center. Thanks for any feedback....Bullyus
2003 KOMFORT 25TQSG TRAILER
2000 GMC 2500 6.0 liter 4:10 axles
PRODIGY
1 WIFE
1 SMALL DOG
15 REPLIES 15

bullyus
Explorer
Explorer
I do have pics but to be honest with you I am not that sharp with computors and pictures and don't have a clue how to attach. Thanks Bullyus
PRODIGY
1 WIFE
1 SMALL DOG

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a picture of the broken part you can post?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
email replies can end up in spam folder, be sure to check.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
bullyus wrote:
Thanks everyone for your input....I did go on the Reese site and filled out a report but no reply. The real part that bothered me was that the shaft where it broke appears to be defective as it looks like it was only holding in the middle..Appreciate you taking the time to reply........Bullyus

I called them. explained my issue and was sent a new head. much faster than email that you don't know if they even read.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
bullyus wrote:
Thanks everyone for your input....I did go on the Reese site and filled out a report but no reply. The real part that bothered me was that the shaft where it broke appears to be defective as it looks like it was only holding in the middle..Appreciate you taking the time to reply........Bullyus
That is typical. It was cracked part way first. Just about any break can look like that.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just give them a phone call and talk to a tech. The guy I spoke was very knowledgeable and helpful.

bullyus
Explorer
Explorer
PRODIGY
1 WIFE
1 SMALL DOG

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Not that uncommon. User JBarca has a ton of posts on this hitch in the archives. I would search his username and dual cam and read for hours on end. He specifically addresses they why and how to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
X2. I read his posts on it many years ago.
IIRC, Proper setup on many lashups with this hitch result in the bars pointing down , pretty sharply. So much so, that IMO ground clearance is compromised. Maybe not an issue for some. But for those of us that venture off the beaten path, it would be. That is the main reason I never considered that hitch as an option for me.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not that uncommon. User JBarca has a ton of posts on this hitch in the archives. I would search his username and dual cam and read for hours on end. He specifically addresses they why and how to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on binding. If you turn too sharp, the trunnion bar binds on the hitch ball shank, which can either break the cup that holds on the trunnion into the hitch head (this is usually what happens) or will break the part you did. Usually this can only happen going backwards, but some especially tight turning TVs (like mine) can do this going forward as well. It's part of the reason I went with the Blue Ox system this time.

That said, Reese has great customer service, and I'm sure they'll swap out your broken part if if you email them.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Usually they snap when they bind on a turn. The bar pivots on the body of the part the cam slides into.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

A bad day camping is

Nosedive
Explorer
Explorer
Was it bending prior to it breaking? I struggled with a Reese Strait Line setup for about 3 years, kept bending cam arm brackets. It had to have something to do with the angle I had to run my hitch head due to my setup with my Excursion. Without a doubt, if I would have kept running it, it would have snapped. Switched to a Equalizer and couldn't have been happier.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hard to imagine such a thick shaft snapping!

Yes, give Reese a call. After I bought our DC WDH (1200 lbs), I found the cam arm brackets were poorly formed. They had a bad run for a while. They just sent me a new pair without issue. I think they've had parts manufactured in several countries and quality control likely suffered.

FWIW, the cam lobes do wear out over time and eventually need to get swapped from side to side, esp. with higher tongue weights. Our TW is about 950 lbs and after 5 seasons are getting to the point of having to swap them. So you won't have to swap them!

Also, are the bolts for the cam arm brackets staying tight? They can loosen when TW gets in the 1000+ lb range. There are a few ways to through-bolt them in place instead of using the Reese screws.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing would've happened. the chain would still be holding up the broken cam and the WD bar. I agree on calling Reese. they sent me a new hitch head when I found mine damaged due to a bad design.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

A bad day camping is