cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Refrigerator question

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
We are heading to a SP which is about 5 1/2 hrs away. I turn on my refrigerator a few days before leaving and stock it. It is running off electricity and most everything has been refrigerated at home. My question is, should I put the refrigerator on gas for the drive over or just count on everything staying fresh with the refrigerator staying closed and cooled by electric prior to going? Most everywhere we have been is only at most a couple of hours away and everything seems to stay cold during the drive. Thanks for your assistance.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience
24 REPLIES 24

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
No problem about that. Heck, I get confused about a lot of stuff. I'm in the state of confusion so much, I pay taxes there. 🙂

beemerphile1 wrote:
Atlee wrote:
Mine is Auto & LP. On Auto, it will use AC when available, but automatically switch to gas when AC becomes unavailable. If for some reason, while pluged in to shore power, I still want to use LP for the fridge, I use the LP button on the fridge.

beemerphile1 wrote:
Bears Den wrote:
Mine has a switch for electric and gas only.

You sure it isn't electric and auto?

Set it on auto and it will take care of itself. When you plug into electric it will switch to electric. When you unplug it will switch over to LPG.

You're right, LPG or auto, my mistake.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Atlee wrote:
Mine is Auto & LP. On Auto, it will use AC when available, but automatically switch to gas when AC becomes unavailable. If for some reason, while pluged in to shore power, I still want to use LP for the fridge, I use the LP button on the fridge.

beemerphile1 wrote:
Bears Den wrote:

Set it on auto and it will take care of itself. When you plug into electric it will switch to electric. When you unplug it will switch over to LPG.

You're right, LPG or auto, my mistake.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II

beemerphile1 wrote:
Bears Den wrote:

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
I do like everyone else has mentioned. I plug it in a few days before heading out, I even switch it to gas while I am in the drive just to make sure it works. I do this maybe a day before heading out. Before leaving the drive way, I switch to gas and stay on it until I get to my destination.
Mark

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Bears Den wrote:

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

trnfla
Explorer
Explorer
Switch to to "Auto", like others have said you will need to prime the gas lines first and it still might take 2-3 switching and off before the gas will lite.
Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
Just went to my TT at my storage unit. Did a good look and it has a switch that says auto and gas. Thanks for all the replies, I've just always run on electric, but for this trip will be switching to gas during the trip.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
I don't overthink it, I just set my fridge to auto and let it function as designed whether camping down the street or going cross country.

X2
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

facory
Explorer
Explorer
By all means switch to propane. Gotta keep the beer cold.
2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it was me, I'd run it on gas.. Well, I pretty much run my fridge on gas 99% of the time. I start it on gas to initially cool it down too. For me, it does seem to cool down quicker on gas.

While camping, if it's hot out (for me, hot is 80* +) I keep it on gas because it keeps the fridge cooler and recovers faster after opening it up when it's that hot outside. Keeping the A/C running when it's hot helps too, as it keeps the interior of the trailer cooler..

I've played around with switching it to electric when it's cooler out and even during the night, but in the end, just leaving it on gas 100% of the time is seems to work best for me... 🙂

Plus, I've got one of those Dometic fridges that was on recall for having too hot of an electric probe and causing the tube to crack and leak all the stuff out... So, in the back of my head I've always got that feeling that when I run it on electic it's going to crack the tube! Just the same feelings as you guys that refuse to run it on gas while driving have... 😉 I'm not knocking you for that feeling, as I can relate!

Anyway, do whatever feels right for you and enjoy! If it warms up too much, you know what you need to do next time.. If it stays cool enough for your needs, there you go!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

trnfla
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Run it on gas. Mine has a auto switch. It automatically switches to gas when I unplug.

Be aware though that the first time you do this you will have to purge the air out of the lines. Best way to do this is to turn the gas on and then try to light the stove. Once the stove is lit then you can switch the fridge to gas or, unplug the camper with the fridge switched to the automatic setting. Then it should light itself. It will try 3 times to light and if it doesn't it goes into "lock out" mode and glows a red X on the front panel. If this happens just slide the switch to off, and then back to gas or auto, and it will try 3 times again. Mine usually will light on about the 4th or 5th try the first time. After that it fires right up on the first try.

I second this information.
Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Run it on gas. Mine has a auto switch. It automatically switches to gas when I unplug.

Be aware though that the first time you do this you will have to purge the air out of the lines. Best way to do this is to turn the gas on and then try to light the stove. Once the stove is lit then you can switch the fridge to gas or, unplug the camper with the fridge switched to the automatic setting. Then it should light itself. It will try 3 times to light and if it doesn't it goes into "lock out" mode and glows a red X on the front panel. If this happens just slide the switch to off, and then back to gas or auto, and it will try 3 times again. Mine usually will light on about the 4th or 5th try the first time. After that it fires right up on the first try.

dtzackus
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard it will actually cool down quicker on gas than electric, but never really tried it. I too, will plug in the camper at least 2 days prior to leaving to ensure battery is charged, fridges (outside kitchen and regular fridge) are both cold, and all lights are working.

My key was always if the campground is less than 3 hours away, I won't turn on the gas, but if it is more than 3 hours, I will. Mind you if it is over 90 degrees, I may.
Dan, Tammy, Cory, Leah and Adam
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.0
2018 Highland Ridge Open Range OF374BHS
GM Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Unless it is a really antique fridge it will have an auto position and will operate on 120V when available and LP otherwise. Once it has initally cooled down load it and forget it. It will not hurt it to operate somewhat off level for an hour when you stop for a rest or lunch.