cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reg cab long bed vs extended cab long bed?

stevem94080
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I have been hauling a 2001 Lance 10 foot cabover camper on my 2001 chevy 2500hd 4x4 duramax ext cab longbed for 13 years.
Truck and camper are still in great condition and the truck handles the weight of the camper just fine.
I'm looking to buy a new truck just because my truck is 20 years old.
I am looking at 2021 chevy 3500hd srw 4x4 reg cab truck.
Question is, will the reg cab with the shorter wheelbase handle the mass of the camper as well as the ext cab longbed ?

Thanks,SM.
37 REPLIES 37

stevem94080
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Yes, a shorter wheelbase truck will carry a TC as well as a longer wheelbase truck. It will have the affect of moving weight closer to the front wheels. How much weight that actually makes it to the front wheels depends on the TC.

My issue with TCs designed for longer cabs is the radio antenna hits the cabover. There a few remedies. When I had my SuperCab, I switched to a shorter radio antenna mast that was available at American Muscle.

Also, you should measure to ensure the TC will clear the new truck cab, fit through the wheel wells, and you might have to deal with a curved bed. All are possible to workaround and donโ€™t have anything to do with which cab you pick.

Thanks, I will for sure measure before I purchase a new truck.

stevem94080
Explorer
Explorer
MarkTwain wrote:
stevem94080 wrote:
Hi all,
I have been hauling a 2001 Lance 10 foot cabover camper on my 2001 chevy 2500hd 4x4 duramax ext cab longbed for 13 years.
Truck and camper are still in great condition and the truck handles the weight of the camper just fine.
Question is, will the reg cab with the shorter wheelbase handle the mass of the camper as well as the ext cab longbed ?

Thanks,SM.

If your plans are to keeping using the Lance cabover camper, go with the extended cab and dually wheels. Greater weight capacity, more stable , more space for added comfort and storage,

Thanks, dual rear wheel will not work for me though.

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
This doesn't address the OPs question. But I would want a dually for anything but the lightest popup -- not for weight-carrying ability but for stability.

stevem94080
Explorer
Explorer
Bert the Welder wrote:
For what it's worth, reg cab with shorter wheel base will make for a lighter truck weight, giving over more carrying capacity. I'm going from a 98 GMC ext cab, long bed to a F350 crew cab, long bed dually. I just can't see going reg cab. Extra storage, extra passenger room, bit more daylight/open sky out the windshield (cab over isn't hanging out as far past the cab roof), more seat adjustment room.

I'm sure there are others that are more familiar with vehicle driving dynamics then I, but for 'handling the mass as well as' likely longer is better.

Be a question if you would notice it enough. Add to that, like me, we're switching to a whole different experience getting into a new truck vs a 20+ yr old one. He11, just climbing in at the lot was mind boggling! LOL!!!!

Thank you for the reply, yes the new trucks are much taller and do require some extra effort to jump into the cab. ๐Ÿ˜‰

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, a shorter wheelbase truck will carry a TC as well as a longer wheelbase truck. It will have the affect of moving weight closer to the front wheels. How much weight that actually makes it to the front wheels depends on the TC.

My issue with TCs designed for longer cabs is the radio antenna hits the cabover. There a few remedies. When I had my SuperCab, I switched to a shorter radio antenna mast that was available at American Muscle.

Also, you should measure to ensure the TC will clear the new truck cab, fit through the wheel wells, and you might have to deal with a curved bed. All are possible to workaround and donโ€™t have anything to do with which cab you pick.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
stevem94080 wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks,SM.

If your plans are to keeping using the Lance cabover camper, go with the extended cab and dually wheels. Greater weight capacity, more stable , more space for added comfort and storage,

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
For what it's worth, reg cab with shorter wheel base will make for a lighter truck weight, giving over more carrying capacity. I'm going from a 98 GMC ext cab, long bed to a F350 crew cab, long bed dually. I just can't see going reg cab. Extra storage, extra passenger room, bit more daylight/open sky out the windshield (cab over isn't hanging out as far past the cab roof), more seat adjustment room.

I'm sure there are others that are more familiar with vehicle driving dynamics then I, but for 'handling the mass as well as' likely longer is better.

Be a question if you would notice it enough. Add to that, like me, we're switching to a whole different experience getting into a new truck vs a 20+ yr old one. He11, just climbing in at the lot was mind boggling! LOL!!!!
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Absolutely. Anything minor that you may give up due to wheelbase, likely nothing, will be made up by having a chassis that is not only brand new but 20 year newer chassis.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold