cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement radio with NAV and backup camera?

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
My 2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ has the Bose system but not navigation and most importantly not a backup camera (my wife and I seem to fail to communicate). I have a small slide in truck camper mounted pretty much full time so the camera is important and navigation would be nice.

The local Car Toys recommended Kenwood but I will listen to any suggestions. Willing to spend what is necessary for a good system....especially nav and camera. I suppose I could go with the add on systems but I prefer a "cleaner" solution. Anyone running aftermarket head units?
2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide
20 REPLIES 20

gmcsmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Plus 1 on the pioneer avic.

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
You can have factory nav installed outside of the dealership if you don't care about the cost. That's probably the cleanest solution.

I put in a double-DIN Kenwood DNX570HD that I found factory refurbed for around $500. Has pretty good Garmin nav + lifetime traffic and starts up quick enough to activate the rear-view camera by the time I put it in reverse. This is important and often overlooked. You don't want to sit there waiting for it to go through a long boot up sequence just so you can back up.

There are way better units out there like the Pioneer AVIC line as mentioned above if you want to spend more. There are things I don't like about it (small screen being #1, but I wanted a volume knob and you can't have everything with double-DIN), but it's relatively inexpensive and I don't have to have extra things floating around on my dash so I'm happy.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed a Pioneer that I go for Christmas. the head unit was around $240 and the camera I got off Amazon for $20. the backup camera is great and crystal clear. and for GPS, you can download a GPS APP that works with the radio (App Radio). it will show on the screen just like a factory system. works great! and looks factory!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bedlam
See the Pioneer AVIC line. They make single and double DIN models with nice size screens.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

dean_and_monica
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Crutchfield.com
New TV: 2007 Dodge Mega Cab 2500 5.9L Diesel
New Rig: 2011 Rockwood Signiture Ultra Lite 8313SS
Old TV2002 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
Old Rig: 2008 Roo 23SS ---- Destroyed by Mother Nature

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy a portable gps and mount a backup camera that can plug into the gps. Much cheaper that way. Garmin makes a variety of units with camera imputs that work slick