cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing Awning Fabric

Catfishman
Explorer
Explorer
My current awning fabric is shot! How hard is it to replace? I have seen fabric sold online for about $150 (15 feet) and wondered if this is a DIY project. Also, if you have experience, is this a two-man job? Thanks
2003 GMC Sierra 1500
5.3L - 3.73 Ratio
2002 Coachmen 249QB

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem!
18 REPLIES 18

jc1843
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you pay close attention to how to unwind the springs, and how to rewind them. You can get hurt if not careful. It is a good DIY project.

RavensFan24
Explorer
Explorer
I had been quoted about $1100 as well for a full replacement of the awning fabric. I went to www.dyersrv.com and got a replacement arm I needed and the fabric. I had a buddy help and it didn't take too long. We did screw up with the positioning of the up/down switch on the roller bar when we put it all back together, but I could still get to it and pull the awning in or out. Lucky for me I got caught with my awning out in a heavy rain while I was away from my RV for a short time and it filled up with about 50 gallons of water. The awning was angled, but I guess not enough for a random FL rainstorm. When I tried to release the water the whole thing came crashing down. At that point I put in a comprehensive claim with my insurance company and paid the $250 deductible for someone else to do it since the roller bar was completely ruined, as was the new fabric. Oh and this happened when I got back to the RV at like 11pm on Christmas Eve. Good times!

In the end, save the money, find a friend and do it yourself.
2010 Chevy Tahoe & 2015 Keystone Bullet Premier 30'

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
The October 2014 issue of Trailer life has an article on replacing awning fabric you might want to check out.

Also just an aside. The best hands down fabric for this is Sunbrella, its more expensive but it will likely outlive your camper. It's primarily used for Sailboat covers for hatches and winches and the dodgers and awnings, seats and such. It will NEVER fade. It is also very very tough.

Good Luck and take photos of your project for us all.

brockwellw
Explorer
Explorer
It is a DIY. Got the fabric from PPL. Call them they are very helpfull. Watch the you tube vidieo. Becarful with the springs in roller.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
copsey wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
I did it. It really is best done with 3 people, and they all gotta be on the same page. Removing the remanents of the old one is pretty staight forward.

If your roller endcaps do not have the slot in them that matches up with the roller, you can make it with a dremel and a drill.

You will need a ladder person to feed the fabric into the top slot, and another ladder person to pull it along, and he has to keep repositioning the ladder as the fabric advances. The lower person can walk back and forth pretty easy.

The goal is to feed the fabric into the upper wall track/slot at the same rate as the lower/roller side, It must be fed at the same rate, and care must be taken to make sure it enters the upper track smoothly. Getting off kilter will result in the new fabric snaging and tearing on the edge of the upper track.

We installed the fabric in the roller first and walked the roller along as we fed the upper rail. My awning was a one piece, a two piece may be easier another way.

Are you saying that you removed the roller?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I helped a friend replace his fabric and it's definitely a diy project. As others noted it's much easier with 3 people.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

copsey
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
I did it. It really is best done with 3 people, and they all gotta be on the same page. Removing the remanents of the old one is pretty staight forward.

If your roller endcaps do not have the slot in them that matches up with the roller, you can make it with a dremel and a drill.

You will need a ladder person to feed the fabric into the top slot, and another ladder person to pull it along, and he has to keep repositioning the ladder as the fabric advances. The lower person can walk back and forth pretty easy.

The goal is to feed the fabric into the upper wall track/slot at the same rate as the lower/roller side, It must be fed at the same rate, and care must be taken to make sure it enters the upper track smoothly. Getting off kilter will result in the new fabric snaging and tearing on the edge of the upper track.

We installed the fabric in the roller first and walked the roller along as we fed the upper rail. My awning was a one piece, a two piece may be easier another way.
2004 Gulfstream Innsbruck 26RLS
2003 Ford Excursion PSD

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

parkdep
Explorer
Explorer
Another source for awning fabric Replacement Awning Fabric
:R

oakbowery
Explorer
Explorer
ghaindle wrote:
oakbowery wrote:
I just replaced the fabric on both my father's and my campers. We thought it was relatively easy. Definitely watch you tube videos prior to doing it. We bought our fabric at http://www.rvawningsmart.com/ and I am pleased with them. Mine was 21' and my father's was 16'. Took about 2 hours per awning for us. I priced the dealer doing it and the labor alone was $450 for just my awning. We bought the awning fabrics and all the necessary stuff for BOTH awnings for around $350.

My dealer quoted $440.00 labor to replace the fabric. I have had good service at reasonable prices from theses people before and since but I felt this was out of line for 45 mins of labor. I called Camping World and they quoted a price of $125.00 labor and $210.00 for the fabric. They ended up charging $95.00 labor. I waited for it while they changed it out. From the time I pulled in until I left was 48 mins. That amount of time aint worth $450.00.

Man.....I knew the local dealer here was high but it sounds like they are just ripping people off based on the numbers several of you have mentioned. Local dealer wanted $1100 for complete install. $450 labor and $650 for just the fabric. I quickly said "no thanks" and haven't been back. I've been driving an hour away to another much smaller dealer who seems very reasonable so far.
2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins w/ 4:10 Rear
2009 Cherokee 31B TT

ghaindle
Explorer
Explorer
oakbowery wrote:
I just replaced the fabric on both my father's and my campers. We thought it was relatively easy. Definitely watch you tube videos prior to doing it. We bought our fabric at http://www.rvawningsmart.com/ and I am pleased with them. Mine was 21' and my father's was 16'. Took about 2 hours per awning for us. I priced the dealer doing it and the labor alone was $450 for just my awning. We bought the awning fabrics and all the necessary stuff for BOTH awnings for around $350.

My dealer quoted $440.00 labor to replace the fabric. I have had good service at reasonable prices from theses people before and since but I felt this was out of line for 45 mins of labor. I called Camping World and they quoted a price of $125.00 labor and $210.00 for the fabric. They ended up charging $95.00 labor. I waited for it while they changed it out. From the time I pulled in until I left was 48 mins. That amount of time aint worth $450.00.
2008 Fun Finder 18FBS
2011 F150 EcoBoost w/3:55

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced ours when Glamping World had a sale. I bought Dometic replacement fabric and paid them $39 to install it. Seemed like a good deal after checking all around the net for decent fabric and doing it myself.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
PPL is another good source for the fabric.

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I did it. Not too bad. Be sure to clean out and lubricate the retaining track along the gutter for reinstallation of hte fabric. Makes it all so much easier.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)