cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing sheet vinyl with rigid vinyl planking

perrodiablo
Explorer
Explorer
Have a few spongy spots in the floor of our TT since I did not seal the roof properly. As this 2007 is on it's last tour of duty I am thinking about cutting out the vinyl and laying some thick rigid wood-like vinyl planking down. Anyone had issues with planking in an RV? I am a little worried about how rigid it is and if I glue it down will it "pop" loose.

I know this is not the right way but 1 or 2 more trips and this guy is headed to the deer camp.
Tom & Lara R.
Grand Prairie, Texas
2007 30' Rockport TT
8 REPLIES 8

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was able to use 1/2 plywood on the floor of a TT once. I just installed it right over the top of the old floor and screwed it down. It just fit perfectly under all the doors and drawers. There was a little aluminum kick up piece on the inside portion of the entry door. By removing it the plywood butted right up against the door frame no problem.

Then I sanded the wood down and used some of those Sick On Tile Floor squares that looked like hard wood flooring. No one ever noticed a thing.

Do some measuring, looking, and thinking and I bet you could so the same thing.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Schlep1967,

My floor was not soft. But neither was it truly level. Thick flooring left gaps. Flexible thin flooring conformed to the "hills and valleys".

That's nice but I was giving advice to the original poster that stated, "Have a few spongy spots in the floor of our TT since I did not seal the roof properly."
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Schlep1967,

My floor was not soft. But neither was it truly level. Thick flooring left gaps. Flexible thin flooring conformed to the "hills and valleys".
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
If the floor is soft do not use any kind of snap together flooring. When the floor flexes the joints will come apart. Pull up what you you have. Cut out the rotten floor and replace it with solid plywood. If you intend to use it as a deer camp you will need to fix the floor anyhow. Once you have the floor fixed you can put down the vinyl planking. Or even the 1 x 1 sticky tiles.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
As ScottG stated, this stuff can be very heavy. I put some in a finished basement and it weighed in at 50# for 25 ft2. The manufacturer also warned about installing where temps could drop below freezing.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Free floating floor is usually recommended. I put in Allure (big box) it was easy install and looks great.
Kevin

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The problem is RV's shift. So get thin vinyl planking. DAMHIK.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Do you mean something like Pergo? If so, just lay it down like normal without any gluing.
It's heavy though.