cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Restoring old prowler

Harlock
Explorer
Explorer
So I sold my big toy hauler the other day as part of downsizing (moving to a box trailer for now.) We have this vintage little Prowler however that is in great shape inside and are considering doing a restore job on it to enjoy occasionally at remote private property we have access to. My S/O's grandmother used it as a sort of retreat on her own property for years, never used any of the appliances, just as a sort of clubhouse when she wanted to be alone.

Was wondering if anyone has ever gone through one of these. I was thinking thoroughly go through all plumbing and gas lines, and remodel the bathroom and remove the tiny sink and counter and expand the shower.

The big elephant in the room is the roof. It looks like it's corrugated stuff that's then been slathered by pitch to help seal it over the years, and the pich is now cracking. (it was sealed by my S/O's father within the last 10 years, but he passed away sadly so don't know much about it or exactly when) There is some leakage around the back wall / bathroom area which all has to be torn up and re-done anyway. Does not look like any visible leakage forward of the bathroom area.

Looking on youtube there are some videos of people re-roofing trailers. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.

The only other major thing is that the door is not square in the door frame, the doorframe / wall has parallelogramed a little and it only closes if you kick it hard. I don't think the main trailer frame is bent (that'd be pretty hard to do on such a small trailer) but the body has certainly settled a little.
2005 Keystone Outback M-27 RSDS
2000 F250 Crew Cab 7.3L Diesel W/ECU Programmer
14 REPLIES 14

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone does things in a different way. If it were me,,, I would fix the leak in the roof in the easiest way. Fix the damage inside to look nice. (Painting might be involved.) And run it. You said you are only going to use it occasionally . Why spend a lot of money and time on it? Make it work in the easiest way that best suits your needs. Camping is no fun if it involves a lot of restoration work just to get to the spot occasionally.

Remember I'm a Caveman I do things differently then a lot of people. (And have a lot of fun while a lot of people are spending money, and effort on little things.)
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Harlock
Explorer
Explorer
thanks guys for the continued resources, very interesting, all of them.
2005 Keystone Outback M-27 RSDS
2000 F250 Crew Cab 7.3L Diesel W/ECU Programmer

Boband4
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Life did a series in ....2013??? ?... renovating a Prowler. Havent been able to find it on line, have to go to a hard copy. Interesting, would have liked more depth in the article but maybe it would give you some sources.

shasta24
Explorer
Explorer
We rebuilt a 79 Shasta from the frame up. Lots of hard work, and lots of money. We took the roof off and used plywood and epdm roof. Check out my pictures. shasta24

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
If you have not watched it yet, do a search for

rebuilding yellowstone trailer mark polk

...there are five or six vids about 30 minutes each. Fun to watch and very informative.

X2 and if you can, get 50 sponsors like Mark so everything is paid for, lol.:B

...yeah, you'll do some clickin' and a grinnin' to FF thru the advertising !

Jerry9n
Explorer
Explorer
I'm redoing an Holmescraft 18'. Nowhere near ready yet but found this site for cushions: Cushions

Don't know anything about them but looked like a possibility.

On my "good" trailer, the sofa cushion was separating and it cost a lot to get it repaired so I found a place that makes slip covers that worked real well: Slipcovers
Jerry9n
2009 23' Cikira Escape EXP
2006 Ford Expedition
Reese Pro Series SC
Tekonsha Primus IQ
HTT Mods

westend
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:

...there are five or six vids about 30 minutes each. Fun to watch and very informative.

X2 and if you can, get 50 sponsors like Mark so everything is paid for, lol.:B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I removed about a gallon of roofing tar off my aluminum roof. Tools used were a 4" grinder with cup brush, mineral spirits and scrub brush, lacquer thinner and a rag.

You can look through the build thread in my signature line, "The Cowboy/Hilton" to see how I rebuilt a Starcraft.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
You can get replacement panels for the aluminum roof. All you have to do is use the old panels as a template to cut the new ones to size and for all the holes. I don't think it would be worth going to a rubber roof.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jeeptp75 wrote:
Once you get past the roof and your finishing up the inside let me know. There is a good chance my company manufacture the origional dinnette cushions and so on for that camper. We still manufacture new OEM cushions as well as replacement cushiones for people restoring or repairing campers.

Best of luck with the renovation.
I might be interested if you use better quality material than OEM - meaning foam and covering materials. My dinette cusions are horrible - and coming apart at the seams.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

jeeptp75
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get past the roof and your finishing up the inside let me know. There is a good chance my company manufacture the origional dinnette cushions and so on for that camper. We still manufacture new OEM cushions as well as replacement cushiones for people restoring or repairing campers.

Best of luck with the renovation.
2012 Ford F-150 V8 5.0
2014 Cougar X-Lite 28RBS

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
๐Ÿ˜ฎ

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Labor of love, because it surely is going to cost more to repair than it is worth. Personally I would get it inside, strip the roof completely off, put down a layer of new 3/8 ply wood and order online new roof material and the stuff to install it. Get two or three buddies for a day to help you laying the new rubber roof. Then attack the water damage to the back wall.