cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Riding While Towing

Chessyman
Explorer
Explorer
I know it is illegal, but I am thinking of getting a travel trailer and wondered how much of a concern it really was and if you do it anyway.

Thanks in advance.
37 REPLIES 37

Drbolasky
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Canyon - Mather Campground. After we filled our water tank the kids wanted to ride in the TT the short distance to the site. Mind you this was at about 5-10 mph for maybe 200 yards - they reported a crude and noisy ride.

Doug, Linda, Audrey (USN) & Andrew

2008 Sequoia SR-5, 5.7 L, 2000 Coachmen Futura 2790TB Bunkhouse, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Reese W.D. Hitch/Dual Cam Sway Control, Prodigy Brake Controller, McKesh Mirrors
:B

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
I can't imagine riding in a vehicle not being seat belted .
It's not the initial impact that does you harm. It's the secondary impact.

Just before the trailer flattens out like the one in the above pic, cabinets fly open, drawers open and empty their contents. Toasters and frying pans flying around.
It's the chefs steak knife hanging out of your eye where the problem lies.

just how young are you? You seem to have missed a lot growing up.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Alabama Jim wrote:
It is not worth the risk to have people ride in the TT. Besides danger, I would think a lot of people would get sick to their stomach due to the swaying of the trailer.

I know a bunch that tried it, puked their guts out.

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
We did as kids and still do.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

MrLugs
Explorer
Explorer
I remember looking at a C-Class that was for sale. The lady that owned it gave us the tour. She said that often while Her late husband drove she would boil a pot of water on the gas stove and make tea. Then She demonstrated the stance She used while holding the pot on the stove.
I didn't have the nerve to ask what happened to Her late Husband. Hopefully not 3rd degree burns.
2000 Southwind Storm 30H 31.5'
Banks Powerpack system
2003 Jeep Rubicon Toad
and a Dog

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Must not be very many motorcycle riders on this site. :B

At least on a motorcycle you may see it coming and can take some corrective action, even if it's only closing your eyes just before impact. :C

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Must not be very many motorcycle riders on this site. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

burnmark
Explorer
Explorer
I was involved in a sudden death investigation where a youth succumbed to exhaust gas poisoning while napping in a fifth wheel under tow.
2006 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab 5.9 Cummins - Pacbrake - Smarty Jr
2011 Mesa Ridge

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
canoe on top wrote:
The fact that it is illegal might tell you something? Did you ever see what is left of a TT after a wreck?
Did you ever see what's left after a plane crash? And it's legal to fly in one. Life is full of risks.

Airplane crashes have a 95% survival rate. There's a media bias because only mass casualties get good ratings.

http://boingboing.net/2012/11/05/surviving-a-plane-crash-is-sur.html
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Chessyman wrote:
wondered how much of a concern it really was and if you do it anyway.
Thanks in advance.

Big concern for me. Won't even consider it.
And, Welcome to the Forum...good place for questions.

That should convince everybody
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My sister and her bubby from Effingham Ill fixed up a place for the their large dog to ride in their 5th wheel. He already had a nice bed setup etc...

They put him in the 5th wheel and stopped about 50 miles down the road so went to check on the dog.,

It was wide eyed and almost out of his mind. He about scratched the door down trying to get out of there.

To this date they cannot dry that dog into the 5th wheel...

True story...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
I know people who have done it, and only one person who did it twice!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes it is legal in some states and others under certain restrictions.

But if really contemplating it.......you ride back there FIRST before asking/having others do so.

1st hand experience is best when it comes to making a decision :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
It is not worth the risk to have people ride in the TT. Besides danger, I would think a lot of people would get sick to their stomach due to the swaying of the trailer.

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
Since you posted in the travel trailers it is legal IN Indiana Iowa Kansas Maryland Michigan Minnesota Missouri Nebraska and North Carolina to ride in a bumper pull travel trailer ---it is legal in many states to ride in a fifth wheel trailer.as well.(Just looked it up)....Note There ARE some restrictions . Most require A good communication between vehicle and Trailer (I am surprised that many states ):E

Note this info comes from website ---"everything about RVing" a Good Sam sponsered website.

Now Before people go losing their minds---- Take a look at the way a lot of class C's are built!!!

Can you tell me what difference there is between a Class C & a trailer in construction ???????...:h

Yet people fill class c's all the time.

The NEWER class C and B are built Way different than the old ones.
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member