cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

right front tire wear

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, I know I should rotate my tires more often.

I noticed the wear on my right front tire today. It's much worse than the other three. The outer edge is the worst, but it has more wear than the others all the way across. Web searches bring up information regarding uneven wear across the tire and front versus rear, but nothing about right versus left. I'd blame the one most often in the passenger seat, but the one in the driver's seat weighs more. Any idea why I might be seeing this wear (besides my confession above)? Thanks.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4
32 REPLIES 32

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The cool thing is tires are pretty easy to read. Doesnโ€™t require any special training, no tools, no diagnostic equipment.
Just eyeballs and a little deductive reasoning.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
JimK-NY wrote:
All it takes is one good pothole.

Pothole shouldn't knock alignment off, and very unlikely to wear out parts. But roads in some areas, constant pounding of potholes does flex parts to the point don't spring back. Running close to GVWR increases chance

Thereโ€™s a difference between shouldnโ€™t and canโ€™tโ€ฆ.although to your point, a F350 front axle should be able to take the beating of potholes.

But since the OP is short on bread crumbs to throw out, the random guessing game of โ€œWhat caused StevenLs tire to wear?โ€ is continuing.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
Very little chance anything is worn out. Even moreso, that little camper isnโ€™t even making that truck work very hard from a suspension and steering standpoint.
But many shops will tell you it is, unless theyโ€™re too busy to try to make some extra money on unnecessary parts.
Still gots to add more info and pictures or something if youโ€™re looking for valid advice.

There's no way to know how OP drives or what kind of roads he drives on. Obviously, driving straight smooth roads will not be hard on the vehicle, but the opposite is also true. But, any good alignment shop will check for worn parts before they do an alignment.

The waste of money is aligning a suspension that has worn parts. The wear will continue.

Fwiw, pictures won't show worn parts unless they are extremely worn. Otherwise, it will have to be on a lift to look for movement.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

My friend just had this same problem last year with the same wheel on an F-250 Ford. Tire dealer determined it was a defective tire and replaced it. That solved the problem.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:

Pothole shouldn't knock alignment off, and very unlikely to wear out parts. But roads in some areas, constant pounding of potholes does flex parts to the point don't spring back. Running close to GVWR increases chance

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
stevenal wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Well none asked how many miles on your truck before pointing at worn parts! If less than 50,000 miles front end still likely good, I would have alignment checked especially toe in.

33K, mostly with the camper loaded.

Very little chance anything is worn out. Even moreso, that little camper isnโ€™t even making that truck work very hard from a suspension and steering standpoint.
But many shops will tell you it is, unless theyโ€™re too busy to try to make some extra money on unnecessary parts.
Still gots to add more info and pictures or something if youโ€™re looking for valid advice.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:

To knock it out of alignmentโ€ฆ.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
rhagfo wrote:
Well none asked how many miles on your truck before pointing at worn parts! If less than 50,000 miles front end still likely good, I would have alignment checked especially toe in.

33K, mostly with the camper loaded.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Before jumping to worn out front end, OP never even mentioned how many miles or how it drives.
It would have to be high miles, defective or beat on for a relatively new solid axle truck to have worn ball joints.
Since OP didnโ€™t provide a lot of clues, most common would be excessive toe in, or under inflation.
Itโ€™s not common and really strange that 1 front is overall worn more than the other apples to apples.
Again, no clues here. Was it on the RR before and got more worn?
Is it smooth or chopped wear? (IE bad shocks or balance or โ€ฆ.)

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:
As already mentioned, this sort of abnormal wear indicates an issue with alignment or a similar issue.

Don't feel bad about skipping the tire rotations. Rotations would only disguise the issue. You now know something is wrong and needs to be fixed. I feel this way about tire rotations in general. I have not done tire rotations on my cars in decades. The only issue I have had is tires wearing differently front to back. No problem. I just replace the front or back set as needed. On my truck camper the rear tires wear at twice the rate of the front tires. At about 15-20K miles, I switch out the front and rear tires. After another 15-20K I replace the rear set with new tires. Following this schedule I always have relatively new, minimally worn tires on the rear axle.

Thatโ€™s great if youโ€™re good with never correcting the tread feathering, although you are rotating them if you go back to front. Youโ€™re putting smooth tires up front every 15-20k.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mattyj
Explorer
Explorer
A few years back I noticed my front tires were โ€œ chopped โ€œ .I replaced the front shocks and solved the problem
2006 Ford F 350, 6.0 PSD 8 Foot Bed 4x4 with Torklift Tie downs ,Stable Loads ,rear Helwig Swaybar,airlifts 5000 , Method 305 HD rims . 2019 Adventurer 89 RBS, slideout, Generator

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
As already mentioned, this sort of abnormal wear indicates an issue with alignment or a similar issue.

Don't feel bad about skipping the tire rotations. Rotations would only disguise the issue. You now know something is wrong and needs to be fixed. I feel this way about tire rotations in general. I have not done tire rotations on my cars in decades. The only issue I have had is tires wearing differently front to back. No problem. I just replace the front or back set as needed. On my truck camper the rear tires wear at twice the rate of the front tires. At about 15-20K miles, I switch out the front and rear tires. After another 15-20K I replace the rear set with new tires. Following this schedule I always have relatively new, minimally worn tires on the rear axle.

This is how I live. My thought is if a tire in 1 position is wearing 20% faster than normal, you rotate like suggested, you have 4 tires wearing 5% faster than should, plus you don't see the wear. Replace all tires, wear out 4 more.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II