cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped the foot off my electric tongue jack

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
I was victimized by one of the hazards of tailgate camping. While attempting to park my trailer, the foot of my electric tongue jack got caught on a curb and was torn off.

Since the break wasn't clean, I'm not sure how to go about the fix. The foot was torn off, so the exposed steel post is mangled and flared out, preventing me from sliding a replacement foot extender over it.

I guess this question can be shortened by saying, what type of cutting tool will I need to cleanly cut off the mangled bottom of the steel trailer jack post?
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L
17 REPLIES 17

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hannibal wrote:
daveyboy12 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
My jack doesn't have a foot. It was missing when I bought the TT. I just use 2-4X4's screwed together and then I put that in the back of my pickup. The foot always sticks down to far anyway.

Besides, I think mine had a wheel. The last thing I want is a wheel to make things roll away and wiggle easier.

I had a wheel on mine, until I left it down and pulled onto I-75,, no more wheel. They certainly are not meant for highway speeds.

LMAO! Sorry, the visual was funny!

Zing,,, away it went.

If you had happen to have your window down I bet you could have heard the noise that thing made at highway speeds.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
daveyboy12 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
My jack doesn't have a foot. It was missing when I bought the TT. I just use 2-4X4's screwed together and then I put that in the back of my pickup. The foot always sticks down to far anyway.

Besides, I think mine had a wheel. The last thing I want is a wheel to make things roll away and wiggle easier.

I had a wheel on mine, until I left it down and pulled onto I-75,, no more wheel. They certainly are not meant for highway speeds.

LMAO! Sorry, the visual was funny!
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, fix it right; Replace the jack.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

daveyboy12
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Replace the jack so you don't lose length.
Bob

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Renting the pipe cutter is a good idea.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

WayneAt63044
Explorer
Explorer
My suggestion would be to cut it off square per any of the above instructions or have a welding or repair shop help you and then install a Fastway Flip Jack-Foot.
You'll get the length back plus some versatility.
http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/flip-jack-foot
2012 Forest River V-Cross Vibe 826VFK
pulled by 2009 Ram 1500 Quad Cab Hemi

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Fastest way to cut it is with an angle grinder with a thin cut-off wheel, after drawing a line about which to cut along.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
I'd imagine the manufacturer of the jack sells replacement lower ends. If you are looking to just do the extend a foot, I would jingle the neighbors till you find one that has a power saw. Battery powered sawzalls or cutoff wheels would work well, and a porta-bandsaw would be amazing. A piece of tape wound around the jack shaft will make a serviceable pattern.

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sawsall or jigsaw (with the proper blade) should work just fine.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
I'd just draw a nice even line with a Sharpie pen and use a hack saw with a fresh blade....or you can even rent a pipe cutter (tool rental outfit or Home Depot) if you don't have one or don't want to buy one for this one time job....like janstey58 suggested above.

x2 for a hacksaw, or a sawzall.

I'm guessing the steel that jack is made from is not the hardest alloy, should slice easy enough.

I too snagged my foot, somewhere near the North Dakota / Canada border. Thankfully, somehow it sheered off clean, without damaging the jack shaft. Someday I might drill a hole so I can use one of those slide on feet, but so far I've just been lowering the jack shaft onto blocks as usual, without its foot... haven't noticed any difference
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'd wrap a sheet of paper around it to mark a straight cut and use a hacksaw. Or the pipe cutter route.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'd just draw a nice even line with a Sharpie pen and use a hack saw with a fresh blade....or you can even rent a pipe cutter (tool rental outfit or Home Depot) if you don't have one or don't want to buy one for this one time job....like janstey58 suggested above.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro