cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite Owners

llberge
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks. I’m new to the forum and planning to upgrade my Keystone Hideout to a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite travel trailer. I would like some real world hitch weights from owners. My Keystone trailer has an estimated dry hitch weight of 795# from the specs, and a camping weight of 900 to 925. I have a Sherline tongue scale to weigh it before trips.
We are looking at front bedroom floorplans 8314BSS (dry weight = 815) or 8325SS (dry weight = 831). If the increase is about the same as what I have seen on my existing trailer, I will be fine. What range of tongue weights have you folks experienced? Thank you for your input.
2017 Sunseeker MBS 2400R
8 REPLIES 8

llberge
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you for the information. That's all the incentive I need to shop for a 2500 HD. I really like the Tundra, but I am tired of having to worry about overloading the front of the trailer. The truck will easily pull the weight, but the carrying capacity leaves a lot to be desired. We have some long trips planned and will need to take along more stuff than we do now.
2017 Sunseeker MBS 2400R

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
This is our 2nd Signature Ultra Lite and we like it. We pull it with a '04 excursion. We might have 150 lb in the storage in the front slide, that might add to the tongue weight. We could pull our old trailer with our F150 if we had to but I wouldn't take this TT far with it.

TWolf
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 2608WS Rockwood front kitchen. The fresh water tank is in the very back next to the bumper. Since we dry camp a lot, we need to keep the tank full. When towing this creates a really big problem. We are very light on the tongue and the trailer will wag all over the road. We have actually ran other people off the road when it first broke loose. That was the first time we towed it after getting it home from the dealer. All Forest River will tell us is to not have water in the tank. Since then, we have bought a new hitch which made a big difference in towing. Have not tried it yet with the generator on the back.

The other thing that I would check out is the top of the slides and the trailer itself. I went to clean my slides off when we went to leave our camp site. Found that the top of the small slide was not sealed and the large slide had tears in the rubber molding. It looked as if the caulk was not dry when the slide was ran in at the factory and the caulk stuck to the black rubber on the slide. It tore the black rubber up and pulled the other black rubber off the side of the trailer.
May there always be a special prayer said daily for our troops and their familys. In loving memory of SPC. James R. Wolf my nephew who died Nov 6, 2003 in Iraq while serving his country.

Dandy
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my 2008 8317SS I believe the tongue weight full loaded was 1140#'s. I cannot find the CAT slip I had. If I find it I will re-post all the actual weights.
2009 GMC 2500HD Crew Z71 / 3.73 / 6.0L
2012 Prime Time Lacrosse 318 BHS Touring
Reese WD System with HP Dual Cam
Factory GMC Brake Controller
Factory Receiver Hitch
Factory Tow Mirrors

llberge
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Love2rvcamp. It helps, but it doesn’t. I really don’t want to have to buy a new truck yet, but the research that I have been doing shows the Rockwood Ultra Lites to be tongue heavy. There are a lot of people towing these with a Toyota Tundra like mine, but I would have to keep the bed empty to make it work, which is not out of the question.
I can see a 2500HD in the future at some point.
2017 Sunseeker MBS 2400R

love2rvcamp
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2008 8313SS and when we weighed the hitch it was also under 1100 pounds, dont remember the exact number but it was right over 1000 pounds trailer loaded.

We are towing ours with a 2013 F250 6.2L gasser. We did tow it with a 2001 F150 5.4L but we had to watch the weight very carefully and we did get some sag.

Hope this helps.
Mike and Michelle and 2 kids
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
2008 Rockwood 8313SS
Equalizer hitch with Envoy brake controller

llberge
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the information. That is a higher weight than I was expecting, but that’s why I asked. It’s better to know before I buy the trailer.
Are you happy with your Rockwood? They look like great trailers.
May I ask what you are towing with?
2017 Sunseeker MBS 2400R

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
I put our 8314BSS on a tongue scale a few times when we got it and it was always under 1100 lb.