Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rolled MH onto the side - and the towed

hikerman
Explorer
Explorer
In Quebec I slid into a ditch with my 2008 Monaco Cayman towing my
2014 Honda CR-V. By the time the MH was drug out of the ditch it was
declared 'totaled'.I was able to drive my Honda toad back home to Texas. It can probably be repaired, but what about DIMINISHED VALUE? 'Rolled on side' would not look good on a Car-Fax.
Does anyone have experience with this situation?
2008 Monaco Cayman XL 35'
2014 Honda CR-V
24 REPLIES 24

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally, if you caused the damage (i.e. you were at fault for the accident) you also caused the diminished value. Your insurance company covers the repair of damages to pre-crash conditions (a lot of times better than pre-crash conditions). You have no reasonable expectations for them to include any diminished value.

IF SOMEBODY ELSE was at fault their insurance company needs to make you whole. Then you may have some claim to diminished value. As their client caused you to lose value in your property.

What I say really doesn't matter though. The Lawyers will tell us what we deserve. Right after they get their 1/3.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Glad you’re ok and even better the car made it out alive. Helps with the stressful situation I’m sure.
Similar to other responses. Diminished value is what it is. Nothing you can do about it except not report it and pay out of pocket for the repairs. Probably not financially better than diminished value anyway.
Heck, there’s so many vehicles fetching decent money around here with salvage titles, I wouldn’t expect a soft roll that was presumably not too damamging if you could drive it home cross country reducing the value much anyway. IMO, scratches, dents and new paint is far less damaging than even a mediocre front end hit with any suspension or chassis damage.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
If it was already declared "totaled" that means the adjuster has already determined the repair would exceed 70-75% of the vehicles value (depends on company policy). Yes, it will be reported to CarFax and any other reporting service at this point, since it has already been evaluated by an adjuster.

You will be provided the option to "buy back" your car at salvage value. If you take this option, salvage value will simply be deducted from your settlement value (book value minus any outstanding lien payments) and you will end up with a branded title. You do not get diminished value unless it was determined "repairable' (i.e. non totaled).

He said the MH was totaled not the car. It's the car he's asking about.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
If it has diminished value there is nothing you can do about it anyways. That's just part of life.

hikerman
Explorer
Explorer
Just to clarify, My wife and I were strapped in and without injuries.
The MH was totaled, the Honda was able to be driven all the way from Quebec to TX. All has been reported to the insurance companies with Quebec state police report. I was just questioning about 'DIV' after I get repair estimate.
Thank, hikerman
2008 Monaco Cayman XL 35'
2014 Honda CR-V

Mike_E_
Explorer II
Explorer II
So it has damage that can be repaired. Get it repaired then.

Why worry about diminished value when in fact it probably does have a diminished value? Why wouldn't it?

I had my practically new truck hit while it was parked. Insurance paid for the complete repair and they would have nothing to do with my concerns about 'diminished value' as they said it would be repaired to an "as new" state.

When I went to sell it I disclosed to buyers that there had been a repair done to it. The guy that bought said, "Doesn't bother me. I know it was fixed properly."

I guess you could pay out of pocket to get it repaired "under the radar", but if it ever came to it would you be comfortable selling it to someone without disclosing the damage? Your call I suppose.

I'm sure when you get a chance to reflect on everything, the fact that you and yours are all OK after an accident will diminish the concern over the value of a used car.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
If it was already declared "totaled" that means the adjuster has already determined the repair would exceed 70-75% of the vehicles value (depends on company policy). Yes, it will be reported to CarFax and any other reporting service at this point, since it has already been evaluated by an adjuster.

You will be provided the option to "buy back" your car at salvage value. If you take this option, salvage value will simply be deducted from your settlement value (book value minus any outstanding lien payments) and you will end up with a branded title. You do not get diminished value unless it was determined "repairable' (i.e. non totaled).
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Get it fixed and drive it. You won't see much diminished value on a 6 year old car.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it shows up on carfax if it isn't run through insurance.

At least that use to be the case, it may be different now. Pay out of pocket and it just gets fixed. Run it through insurance, it gets reported.

That's why carfax is only half the story.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

I don't, but wanted to say that I'm glad your ok. Hopefully ALL passengers ( if any others ) were ok as well.. vehicles can be replaced...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet